Grip Programs

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning' started by DBradD, Jul 15, 2007.

1. DBradD

DBradD Guest

Does anybody have experience with grip strength programs? I was reading last night at ironmind about their different grippers--pretty cool stuff.

How does grip work translate into overall hand health?

How does a grip training program work? Just squeeze the thing a certain number of sets x times per week?

2. California Jack

California Jack Millennium Member

I bet ateamer and Walcott could help. I can't. If it becomes necessary, I can point you to some forums.

You need to become a Captain of Crush!

3. DBradD

DBradD Guest

Welcome back!

How was your first AASHTO committee experience?

I'm interested in grip training because it seems very useful and because my Mom has terrible arthritis. Not sure if this stuff is genetic or if hand exercise can help. Any info on that?

4. California Jack

California Jack Millennium Member

Well, I was very unprepared. It was very humbling, there are a lot of very smart people out there. Airlines lost my luggage so I spent the first morning at the mall.

I really know nothing about grip training or hand health, sorry. If nobody posts anything here I'll get some links for you.

If I ever abandon strength training for cardio I'll probably start grip training then.

5. TurboRocket

TurboRocket

I don't follow a program, and I haven't had much interest in the past for grip strength to search out any reading material. However, since adopting CrossFit/functional fitness, I do a ton more pull exercises; and so I include grip exercises about 2-3 times a week, usually as finishers. Here's my variety of grip exercises, in no particular order:

- cheap Valeo grips - one in each car, one with my weights, and one at my main computer
    - I made my version of an Apollon's Axle and do static holds, reverse grip curls, and deadlifts
    - I made a set of thick handle dumbbells and do static holds
    - wrist roller
    - farmers walk with heavy dumbbells - still need to make some thick grip farmer's walk implements, though
    - rope climbs

I hope to move my workout stuff into the garage in the next few weeks. Right now, my heavy bag hangs in the house from a contraption I made out of 1.5" iron pipe. When I move that to the garage, I will modify it with a 1.5" iron pipe extension to do pull-ups.

I am probably at my grip strength limit on my deadlifts so I have to fix this weakest link if I want to progress much more on my deadlift numbers.

6. BCR

BCR BIGASS!!!!

Good suggestions by TurboRocket.

I've heard mixed reviews on the Captains of Crush.

I have the #1 and #2. They are no joke, that's for sure! I can close the #1 a couple of times and thats it. The #2 still owns me every time. But I have grip issues due to Carpal Tunnel or TOS.

From a PL standpoint, I've read that they are bad. Meaning that they can thicken up and strengthen your fingers, but thicker fingers make it harder to grip a bar.

Most PL'ers I know train grip by doing static holds with very heavy weight. Like at or above your 1RM. They set the bar high so they only have to lift an inch or two, like the last step of a DL.

I know Ed Coan did static holds one arm at a time, with a loaded bar in a power rack. Just hold it for as long as you can.

I also know some folks pinch grip 2 plates, smooth sides out. Either 25s, 35s, or 45s.

And another thing to do is work with a fat bar, I think its called a Buffalo Bar, which is much more difficult to hold. Then when you grab a regular bar its a piece of cake.

So there's my 2 cents. I have to admit I haven't worked much with the grippers, as I went overboard and mine are too tough. I can't so multiple reps with them.

7. Shabcat

Shabcat Guest

This is a good beginner's grip regimen. I didn't invent it but don't know who did. It's my old rewrite of a good but poorly written regimen that a friend emailed to me a couple years ago without citation.

Three times per week and tree sets per exercise. Both can be changed to two if tree is too much. Wear gloves for the pinch.

1. Two Handed Pinch Lift, hold 15-20 seconds. Wear gloves.

2. Olympic Bar Finger Curls with an overhand grip, 15-20 reps. On last set go to failure and then hold it for 15-20 seconds.

3. Two Hand Wrist Curl. Do not let the bar go into your fingertips. Keep your thumb under the bar not on top. These are to work the wrists. 15-20 reps.

4. Two Hands Reverse Wrist Curl. 15-20 reps.

Once you've seen real improvements from this regimen you can get more use out of gripper programs. If you think it was left out, "crushing" style strength is provided by the Olympic Bar Finger Curls.

8. DBradD

DBradD Guest

Thanks everybody. That's a lot to think about.

After researching elsewhere also, I find the topic to be amazing in the divergence of opinions out there.

9. TurboRocket

TurboRocket