Glock 27 grip plug

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by pahermit, Jul 19, 2019.

1. John_AZ

John_AZ

And mod-addiction strikes just as often. This occurs when the Glock owner finds their gun boring because it works and fires every time, so they slap stuff on it until it doesn’t.

:cheers:

HEXE9 likes this.
  2. BobinNC

BobinNC

View: https://youtu.be/a3rRbIpazgc

3. fastbolt

fastbolt

Another part of having to serve as an armorer is having to repair guns to restore normal functioning after they've been "enhanced", "improved" and "modified" by users and owners. ;)

Perhaps it's just that it's the problem parts and inept owner/user attempts at modifications that make it to armorer benches, and all the good ones go unnoticed, but it's the problematic cases that get the attention.

There's a reason LE armorers have been taught since the days of revolvers (and continues now that pistols have replaced revolvers) to check for unauthorized modifications. Not everyone who adds some new widget to their gun, or takes their weapon apart and "buffs & puffs" critical parts, clips springs, etc, ends up with a better functioning weapon.

The last Glock someone brought to me to repair had been "enhanced" by the owner by installing some big name aftermarket parts, including a trigger and connector, after which their gun stopped functioning normally and then stopped firing. The owner was a bit chagrined, being a retired LE firearms instructor and having been trained as an armorer for another brand of plastic pistol.His G26 once again runs just fine, sans the "enhanced" aftermarket parts.

Glock has replaced the venerable 1911 when it comes to owners fiddling with their pistol and turning a normally functioning pistol into something that may require repair because of modifications and aftermarket parts not working in some particular gun.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
    John_AZ likes this.
  4. AgentM79

AgentM79 Platinum Member

I am a fan of the backstrap plugs. They keep lint, dust, dirt, and "the elements" out of the backstrap channel. Every Glock Armorer class instructor I've ever spoken to on the topic has said that there is no functional detriment to using the plug, because nothing happens in that part of the gun. In all of my years of shooting, and as a LE Firearms Instructor, I've never seen a problem caused by a frame plug. I personally run Pearce and Ghost plugs in my guns. Zero problems over years of service. The friction-only plugs may fall out during sustained shooting.

Here's a few obervations:

Glock 19 Gen4 - Ghost plug for Gen4 w/backstraps. Installed easily, slightly loose fit. Running since 2014 with no issues.

G43 with Ghost plug. TIGHT friction fit. Will probably have to damage the plug to remove it. However, constant +P "diet" fed to gun. Plug stays in place. I have no intention of removing it, as the weapon is regularly carried concealed. Keeps crap out of the frame.

Glock 39 - Pearce plug. Stays in gun via friction. No problems in five years. Had to push it up slightly after @120 rounds last week.

Glock 41 - Pearce plug. Installed it because back of frame, inside the mag well was getting a little beat-up from magazine swaps. I anticipate the plug will help guide the magazine in. If not, easily removed. We'll see. Looks great!

AdamRodgers likes this.
  5. AdamRodgers

AdamRodgers Kilt in Da Streetz since 1999

Never heard of "Kilt in Da Streetz" from a Butt Plug..... :confused:

6. fastbolt

fastbolt

The "modification" Cha-Cha is a much bigger topic than just discussing changing sights or seeing if one brand/style of grip "plug" will fit in someone's particular gun and serve their desire.

I know a couple guys who own G21's with the backstrap modification done by Robar Guns many years ago. One was a Gunsite adjunct instructor a long time ago (and still teaches as part of a fed program) and the other is a retired cop. No big deal. Both are shooters. Both had the grip modification done to make their G21's handle and shoot more like the other guns they own, carried and like to shoot.

If someone wants to close off the channel on their Glock to keep dust/debris from entering, or they like how it covers the backstrap opening when they're inserting mags, that's their business.

If someone ends up damaging their Glock's grip frame because of how they tried to install whatever particular design plug they bought? Well, that's also their business, and probably not like it's going to be a Glock warranty issue.

The Modification Cha-Cha involving modifying and replacing action parts is another dance. If someone wants to dance to the tune, that's their call. If it ever turns out that something they've done during the dance requires them to pay the piper? Well, life is risk. ;)

Parzival likes this.
  7. Duck of Death

Duck of Death

8. fastbolt

fastbolt

Life is all about choice. :)

AdamRodgers likes this.
  9. HEXE9

HEXE9 Supports Our Flag

If you're feeling risky...you could run 2 plugs at once.

Butt Glock definitely wouldn't endorse that.

Let us know how it turns out.

10. Duck of Death

Duck of Death

"QUOTE"
    If you're feeling risky...you could run 2 plugs at once.

I do, I practice shooting w/either hand or 2 at the same time--2 Glocks 2 butt plugs--works fine.:exercise:

"QUOTE"
    Butt Glock definitely wouldn't endorse that.

Nor any of the other mods I've done to my Glocks.;)

AdamRodgers likes this.
  11. Gfive45

Gfive45

I don't like the looks of an empty hole in the Glock grip... I got a plug that is solid metal to increasing the weight to the bottom of the frame which is supposed to add stability so you could get less recoil when back on target. It is useful to me.

12. Dynactus

Dynactus

I love 1911s as much as anybody however, I think if a grip plug was all it took to cause a Glock to break/malfunction, I'd just carry a 1911.

BobinNC likes this.
  13. ShaneS

ShaneS Millennium Member

I’m not a big fan of the frame plugs. I think they are okay in the larger Glocks but the polymer is thinner in the smaller models. Seems like the plug could split the polymer if too tight.

14. MikeG36

MikeG36 Have Gun Will Travel

I have a few. A couple have the American Flag etched in. Boy am I in trouble if I ever....... :okie:

AdamRodgers likes this.
  15. AgentM79

AgentM79 Platinum Member

I have @1500 +P rounds through my G43 with the Ghost plug. No problems so far. I value keeping clothing, body, and pocket lint out of the channel. However, I do share the same concern.