close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Grip plug?

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by kimber6, Mar 9, 2012.

1. kimber6

kimber6

What is the purpose? Do any of you have one or recommend it?

2. fuzzy03cls

fuzzy03cls

The purpose is to mostly keep crap put of the gun & finish off the look.
    Is it needed? No, but I use them on my G17, G27 & gen 4 G22.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012

3. SolidGun

SolidGun Addicted 2 guns

It blocks you from clearing jams. No, don't use it. You cannot pull out the magazine as easily.

4. kimber6

kimber6

I was wondering about that. Looks like it blocks the mag to me

5. Keyhole

Keyhole

Nope. It's cosmetic only and actually the Glock was designed for that 'debris channel' to remain open. If the weapon has a catastrophic failure, much of the force is directed down through the debris channel and possibly displacing the mgazine through the mag well.

6. SolidGun

SolidGun Addicted 2 guns

Depending on who made the grip plug and if you have small fingers, you can actually dig it out. But malfunction drills don't apply the same way and malfunction in real life situation requires extra room for error.

People plug up this area for appearance or to keep it clean or some people claims it snags, but it is there for a reason.

7. g26andgtrs

g26andgtrs

I had a plug in my G26 for snag issues while working, but I lost it last weekend at the range. It had a tendency to pop out when I was shooting. Not a big deal either way. It looks and feels more finished with the plug, but I'm not sure right now if I even care to spend the money to replace it.

8. Jim S.

Jim S.

I can grab the magazines out of my Glocks from the sides.
    I've never had to grab them from front to back.

9. whitey4311

whitey4311

For me when I reload quickly while shooting USPSA the plug keeps the top round in the mag from catching. The rim of the top round in the mag grabs on the cut out in the frame and it messes up my reloads. The right plug will make this area smooth like a feed ramp and the mags dont snag any more.

I coat the plug in Permatex RTV Gasket Maker silicone that is black then I put it in. Its been in for 10k rounds and still there. I use the Schere brand plug.

10. nosuchagency

nosuchagency ...

what other poster was referring to is in the event you have to forcibly strip the magazine from pistol; it gives you a bit more purchase to do so.

11. DaneA

DaneA

Don't know if there is any truth to it but I heard that the channel was for draining water out should your Glock get submerged. I don't use the plugs for that reason.

12. Booker

Booker

I had the same happen with a Glock 27. The plug fell out and disappeared whilst at the range.

13. KennyFSU

KennyFSU

I'm sorry but that's incorrect. There are some Glocks that were built with a safety lock and it is located in that channel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. fuzzy03cls

fuzzy03cls

On the subs, there is no tab so it's a press fit. Some get loose some stay.
    +1 of the easier loading of mags with it. My G17 has one that make the area smooth & guides the mag in.
    And on yanking the mag out.... I had to do it a bunch of time in practice & never had any issue with doing so from the sides of the mag.
    But as stated it's your gun do what you want.
    How can that be? The space is rear of the trigger assembly & magwell. The forces would have to overcome the trigger housing, ejector & magwell to air through the channel. Plus the slides firing pin face is in the way too.

15. cole

cole Millennium Member

This I agree with given my addition above, especially for Gen 1-3 full size guns and Gen 2 compacts. (However, Glock removed the front cutout on the Gen 3 compacts and the Gen4.) Likely an issue? No. Possible? Yes. And, I believe being better able to forceably remove the mag to be more important than looks, the debateable aid to reloads or the (IMO weak) arguement it keeps "debris" out. Ultimately, I value function over form which is what a Glock is all about IMO.

16. cloudbuster

cloudbuster

The purpose is to separate you from a bit of your hard-earned cash. Don't waste your money.

17. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

Yup! After reading through umpteen hundred of these frame plug threads THAT is the generally agreed answer; and the one I happen to agree with. How weak do a shooter's hands have to be before he can't pull out a magazine after a Type 3 jam? That's pretty frigg 'in weak!

(Anybody remember when Glocks used to have that half-moon cutout on the front of the frame for just this reason? The factory finally got rid of those cutouts because they simply weren't necessary.)

THAT is brilliant, man! I think you deserve, 'answer of the week' for that one! (Very good!) :thumbsup:

If you still have that plug, try using a dab of bathtub silicone sealant on it before you put it back in place. It'll stay; AND you can still remove it anytime you want to.

Why not? A Glock isn't a 1911 pattern pistol. What critical action parts are located, vertically, along the backstrap? The ONLY place you have to worry about your Glock retaining water is inside the barrel - Nowhere else!

So, after years of reading these, 'plug threads', what do I think the right answer is ........ ? ECONOMICS! Think of how much money old Gaston wouldn't have to spend on his new girlfriend if he spent so much as, even, .01 cent to install a butt plug in each of his pistols!

It's that simple! ;)

18. DaneA

DaneA

Like I said, don't know if it is true or not. Just something someone that worked for GLOCK said. After closer inspection that channel does go all the way through so it could allow for drainage. :dunno:

19. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

Riiiii .... ght! :)

20. SouthernBoyVA

SouthernBoyVA

All of my Glocks have grip (butt) plugs.