close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Grip plug question - No flaming please

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by abq87120, Mar 16, 2012.

1. abq87120

abq87120

I have a Gen3 G23. I've carried for five years now, usually IWB at 3:30-4:00. I usually wear loose fitting shirts untucked in the summer. I have gotten pretty good at hiding it - No questions from anyone yet.

But, the corner of the mag base plate makes a sharp point when the shirt hits. I am thinking of a grip plug to make that point in the shirt more rounded. I cannot tell from the online seller's pix whether a plug has a rounded edge at the rear of the grip or not. Can anyone guide me to a brand that is about as high as the mag in the gun and has the rear edge of the plug rounded?

And, please no flaming. I have tried several options for my Glocks and almost always return to stock configuration.

Thanks in advance,
    Dan in ABQ

2. allegro

allegro

I have seen one that is angled and aids as a follower for the mag on changeovers, but mine is the one that is flush and rounded by Pearce. I picked one up just to make the bottom of the grip more finished looking, but does make clothing work better for concealment.

Good luck

Last edited: Mar 18, 2012

3. shilowar

shilowar

I carry a 19 IWB. I use an x-grip ona G17 mag which accomplishes two things. It adds the 2 extra rounds and rounds off the magazine. You could use the same x-grip with a G22 mag. Will make it an inch longer though.

I also have a grip plug, but mine is flush.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. gdiddy

gdiddy

5. TigerStripe

TigerStripe

Shilowar gave you some info that seems to fit what you're asking for. The Scherer seems to be a popular option and they've been making them a long time. No one should be flamed for asking a serious question.

TS

6. ZekerMan

ZekerMan ZekerMan

I use them in all my Glocks so I will take some of the heat for you. Ebay has a selection including Scherer.

7. Fastfordsrus

Fastfordsrus

First thing I buy for all my Glocks, except for 26. I don't want a friction fit one....

8. Javelin

Javelin Got Glock? Silver Member

Can't go a week or so without the butt plug thread.

:rofl:

9. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

Hey, if I can hide a G-21 then you can certainly hide a G-23. I don't see much sense to using an X-Grip extension because you're just going to have to use a larger magazine, too.

I've got (Jentra) frame plugs in all three of my Glock pistols. No frame plug is going to get rid of that square magazine floor plate protrusion that you don't like; BUT, a better (IWB/ITB) holster might.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2012
  10. MikeG36

MikeG36

Here are some quick pics of my 19 with the Pearce grip plug installed. (Sorry for the poor quality.)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Jake Starr

Jake Starr

Mag plate issues are one thing, grip plugs are another.

Space in back side of mag well is there for a reason, just as half-moon cut out was there on earlier Glocks, on the frontstrap. Reason was so one could get a good hold on the base of the mag during a malfunction like a double-feed. (Not every one locks the slide to the rear, some just rip the mag out. Those cut outs were/are intentional) or not drop freely during a mag change.

12. Fastfordsrus

Fastfordsrus

After thousands of round through my Glocks, I have never had a stuck mag. Also you can grab hold of the floor plate on every Glock I have ever seen.

13. ZekerMan

ZekerMan ZekerMan

10-4 on this statement. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

14. abq87120

abq87120

Thanks for the opinions and info. I think the Scherer sounds like a good and inexpensive place to start. Those XGrips look interesting also.

Thanks again

15. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

Jake, the best explanation I've read, so far, for Glock's hollow backstrap and open hole at the bottom is, (1) to allow the frame to be formed around a mandrel and, then, be injection molded. (2) Simple economics. Why should Glock, GmbH pay to plug a hole that has little, or no, effect on performance.

Like previous posters I've, also, never had a problem pulling a stuck magazine out of a Glock. The base plates already stick out farther than they need to, anyway.

PS: I don't know anyone who's serious about Glocks that uses Scherer frame plugs. I used to have them. Took them out and replaced them with Jentra. Most of the Glock owners I've asked have made replies like: Pearce, Jentra, or Lone Wolf. Nobody, yet, has said Scherer. (I hated that bump; and, in spite of what I was told, the bump never did anything to speed up my reloads!)

Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
  16. MikeG36

MikeG36

+2 Same experience here.

I don't think not having the plug installed would make it any easier to pull a stuck mag during a double feed because, the inside wall of the hollow area where the plug fits is semi-flush with the rear of the magazine. To me, it seems that gripping the mag by the foot plate shouldn't be much different. I'm going to put this to test cause you've got me wondering.......

17. .38 super

.38 super Observer