Grillin' Out: Share your secrets.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by DrMaxit, Jan 30, 2010.

1. DrMaxit

DrMaxit Dirtbag Airman

Aight so I think I'm pretty good on the grill, but we can always get better. Share your secrets for meat-falling-off the bone grillin' secrets and recipes from chicken to ribs back to vegis and everything you put on the grill period. Spring is sort of around the corner so I want to get down when the time comes.

Thanks!

2. Just1More

Just1More

3. jj-guns

jj-guns

The secret is in the spices. Period. Chicken, Ribs, Hamburger, Vegies..... the secret.... is in the spices.

4. silentpoet

silentpoet

Vegies do not soil my grill. Grill is for meat alone. Charcoal or chunks of wood, if you use gas you might as well just use the stovetop.

5. tbhracing

tbhracing Senior Member

DrM- I am ok on the grill, but dont have much to offer except remember the meat is still cooking when you pull it off.

As for steak, I learned here to go just with the olive oil and pepper.

Here is one of my last grill sessions, nothing fancy. Just had to get the timing right between the beef, shrimp and veg-
    [​IMG]

6. DrMaxit

DrMaxit Dirtbag Airman

Yeeeaahh..... not so much Bud. I'll let you slide because you're new here, but on this board we don't just "Google" important things like Grillin', we come here to ask our brothers how they do it, as we know they will give us the best damned advice there is to offer. Example: Look at tbhracing's post (thanks btw) he learned that grillin' from this board.

Anyways, back on topic, I threw a cookout today for around a dozen people with lots of chicken and ribs. The sauce I used on the chicken was Bulls Eye half and half with hot butter, with enough "Red Hot" wing sauce to add some heat.

I have a specific question to ask, how do you make your ribs just fall off the bone? I've boiled ribs before I've grilled them and that helped a little.. but I've never had ribs that just literally can't stick to the bone. Advice?

Thanks.

7. JohnLew

JohnLew

This works best on thicker cuts but I recently stopped completely cooking steaks on the grill.

I prepare them with whatever rub or spices (on a side note: I've been experimenting with a homemade brown sugar, kosher salt, black pepper, and garlic rub... great so far), then throw them on the grill long enough to get some good grill marks and a nice crust on the outside if I'm using a rub. Then, I take them inside and cook them in the oven on 400-500 (depending on the thickness) for a few minutes then let them sit for 5-10 minutes before serving.

I always end up with a nice, consistent medium rare to medium and still juicy steak.

If you like cooking veggies on the grill, I keep it simple with them.

(Asparagus, brocolli, carrots, green beans) - I lay out tin foil, cut three squares of butter about the thickness of a matchbook, then spread out the veggies on top, drizzle a little olive oil, and shake a decent amount of sea salt and a little pepper on there, lay two more squares of butter on top, fold the tin foil up and put it on the top rack of my grill. Nice and simple, and as long as you don't cook it too long, all the flavor stays in there - although the wife thinks I use too much butter :)

I used to have a pretty good recipe for a terragon butter sauce to put over steaks. I'll have to see if I can find it, I've been thinking about making it recently anyway.

8. DrMaxit

DrMaxit Dirtbag Airman

Thats a good lookin' rack you've got there Sir. You ever tried any rubs or anything on your red meats?

9. winglock

winglock

In addition to all kinds of meat and veggies, (that we would eat,we're not very diverse with veggies) I've also found the I can grill anything I normally would put in a deep fryer. Breaded cheese stix,breaded chic strips, etc. also frozen pizza (takes some experimenting) of course grill all kinds of toast. This winter has limited me because most of the winter my grill has been completely covered by snow and ice. I often cook my breakfast on the grill. Do my hashbrowns on heavy duty tin foil. Of course scramblers or omelets need to be in the skillet on the side burner.

10. DrMaxit

DrMaxit Dirtbag Airman

Now THAT'S what I'm talking about. I'll try that with the vegies next time for sure.

11. JohnLew

JohnLew

I hear you on the weather. I bought a new grill late in the year so I've been trying every trick to still use it as much as possible. My neighbors probably think I'm crazy because I'll pull a car out of the garage and grill right at the edge even if it's snowing :supergrin:

12. JohnLew

JohnLew

Here's the dry rub I've been playing around with:

Original Recipe:
    1/4 cup kosher salt
    1 cup brown sugar
    1/4 coarse ground black pepper
    1 clove garlic (minced)

I took the brown sugar and did 1/2 cup light brown sugar and 1/2 cup dark brown sugar (you can vary this according to taste, of course). And I usually just buy already bottled minced garlic, just make sure it's fresh, not the dry stuff.

Right now I'm playing with working in chili powder, basil, mustard, cayenne pepper, and granulated sugar. I've seen basic dry rubs using the same ingredients but I'd rather play around with it until I find my "perfect" steak. Then I'll start working on a different recipe :)

I'd be interested to hear other people's steak dry rub recipes. I think that's what really starts to make a steak stand out.

13. tbhracing

tbhracing Senior Member

Thank you very much. I have not rubbed any red meat, only chicken. I will be going some more work and experimenting with warmer weather.

I do plan on buying a Cabella's beer can chicken griller soon too! :supergrin:

14. mitchshrader

mitchshrader Deceased

Mesquite is holy and other wood is from the devil.

You can make your own barbeque sauce, or use Cattlemans. No heresy, you was warned.

Let it stay in cool smoke long enough. How long? LONG ENOUGH.

Get really good beer, and get it cold enough to hurt your teeth. If you like cool beer, let it set 5 minutes.

Don't let the dog play in the pool, he'll shake off all over everybody.

Parboil chicken before you barbeque it, and sauce ribs AFTER they cook.

Don't put sugar in cole slaw or cornbread, and don't bother arguing, just DON'T.

Never invite a single woman that's prettier than your wife. If it's so important, have HER do it.

Don't drip stuff on your barbeque gun.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2010
  15. BulgarWheat

BulgarWheat

country short ribs, or boneless chicken breasts.....
    zip lock bag.....
    pineapple juice...
    soy sauce....

marinate for 24 hours

get the grill up to a steady 350 temp.

short ribs, turn so each side cooks evenly, crispy outside, moist, tender meat inside.

chicken breasts, turn on each side only once for moist tender eatin.

enjoy.

Inverted Cheese Burger Recipe

2lbs ground chuck
    1 large sweet onion, diced
    1 Bag shredded sharp cheddar cheese, 8oz.
    1 Egg
    1/2 Cup progresso bread crumbs.

mix all this up by hand, make individual patties.

grill around 350, turn once each side. I like mine on a toasted onion bun with lettuce, a slice of onion, and a dash of A1.

Enjoy!

16. 3glkdog

3glkdog

This is it. Always use charcoal, never gas.

17. tbhracing

tbhracing Senior Member

:rofl:

18. tantrix

tantrix J'aimeLouisiane

This man knows how to grill. :thumbsup:

19. longhair

longhair

Quarter a head of cabbage. Using copious amounts of butter, salt, and pepper, wrap each quarter in aluminum foil. Place around the perimeter of grill for 45 minutes. Enjoy.

20. silentpoet

silentpoet

Marinade the meat over night in the fridge. I don't have a recipe I just grab sauces from the fridge and throw it in the bowl till it looks right.