close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

grilled salmon filets

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by Mrs. VR, Jun 27, 2004.

1. Mrs. VR

Mrs. VR Sharon, you will be missed.

any good/unique recipes? Also, do you wrap it in foil, or grill directly on rack? If you do it directly, how do you keep it from falling apart? I made it last night with olive oil, brown sugar and a pinch of red pepper rubbed in. It was delicious, but because I wrapped it, I couldn't see how it was doing, and it got slightly dried out. Thanks for any tips.

2. Caretaker

Caretaker GO YANKEES!!!

4 salmon steaks 1-inch thick
    1 teaspoon whole cumin seed
    1 teaspoon whole coriander seed
    1/2 teaspoon whole fennel seed
    1 teaspoon dry green peppercorns
    Sea salt or kosher salt
    Canola or olive oil to coat steaks

Prepare grill by lighting 4 quarts of charcoal (1 starter chimney's worth), or turning gas grill to medium-high.
    Examine steaks for pin bones by rubbing fingers over surface of meat. If found, remove with bone tweezers or pliers reserved for culinary uses.
    Using a sharp paring or boning knife, trim bones from the cavity side of the steak. Trim the stomach flaps so that 1 side is missing about 2 inches of skin and the other, 1 inch of meat. Roll the skinless section up into the hollow of the cavity, then wrap the other around the outside to form a round resembling a filet mignon. Tie in place with 2 passes of butcher's twine. (Do not tie it too tight or fish will pop out during cooking.)
    Combine cumin, coriander, fennel and peppercorns on a double thick piece of aluminum foil and toast over grill, shaking gently until seeds become fragrant. Crush seeds in mortar and pestle or pour into spare pepper grinder. Coat steaks lightly with oil, season with salt, then liberally grind toasted seeds on both sides of steaks.
    Quickly wipe hot grill grate with a rag or towel dipped in a little Canola oil, then grill fish to medium rare, about 3 minutes per side. (Fish should be well colored on the outside and barely translucent at the center.
    Serve steaks alongside simple salad dressed with Olive Oil & Balsamic Vinaigrette.

I hope this somehow helps in your search for a salmon recipe.
    kevin
    ;f ;f ;f ;f

3. Caretaker

Caretaker GO YANKEES!!!

Barbecue glaze:
    1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
    1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
    3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
    1 cup dark amber maple syrup
    1 tablespoon tomato paste
    1 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
    1 teaspoon curry powder
    1/8 teaspoon liquid smoke flavoring
    1 teaspoon coarse black pepper

Vegetable cooking spray
    4 salmon fillets or salmon steaks, 6 to 8 ounces each
    Coarse salt
    1 small navel orange, zested and juiced
    1 small lemon, zested and juiced
    1 clove garlic, finely chopped
    2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon leaves
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, eyeball it
    2 large hearts romaine lettuce
    3 scallions, chopped

Prepare grill or preheat grill pan.
    On your stove top or on your outdoor grill, place a small sauce pot over moderate heat and cook onion in oil for 3 minutes. Add vinegar and reduce by half. Add syrup, tomato paste, Worcestershire, curry, smoke flavoring and pepper. Bring to a bubble and simmer.

Spray salmon with cooking spray and season with salt. Grill for 3 minutes, turn and baste liberally with glaze. Turn again, glaze opposite side. If you care for salmon pink at center, remove after 6 minutes. For opaque salmon, grill 5 minutes on each side.

Whisk citrus with garlic, mustard, tarragon and salt. Stream in oil to combine.

Spray romaine hearts with cooking spray and place on grill 2 minutes, charring the outside leaves. Remove and cut each heart in half lengthwise, using tongs to help hold on to the charred lettuce. Cut away core at stem. Cut each half heart in half again lengthwise. Place 2 quarters of charred romaine on each dinner plate. Drizzle with dressing, working back and fourth, strapping the lettuce with dressing. Set salmon on top of the salad. Garnish with chopped scallions and serve.

4. Mrs. VR

hmmmm....the grilled romaine leaves sound intriguing, yum!. I don't do onions, but I can always substitute. (I don't like the texture, but the flavor is ok). I usually use filets instead of the steaks so I don't have to deal with bones, but I guess you can use the same recipes for either. Thanks Kevin:)

5. Caretaker

Caretaker GO YANKEES!!!

no problem..what i like most about cooking over baking is that with cooking you can take any recipe and take it and tailor it to what you like more...add more of this, remove that, substitue this for that...whatever and you still have a wonderful recipe that is more likeing to your taste. and in meantime have come up with your own interpretation and recipe your very own.....with baking it is more like a science you have to follow a formula for each ingredient relies on the next to become what it is meant to be and in alot of cases if you stray from that course you lose the result your looking for.....cooking is alot more fun for me for you can have fun with it and putting smiles on friends faces when they taste something you made is very fullfilkling and enjoyable.

hope it was some ideas there you can use to come up with your own version of these recipes and find your own taste to them. good luck.
    kevin:) ;f ;f

6. Mrs. VR

I agree, only trouble is I just make it up as I go along, and then I never get the same thing twice:)

7. Caretaker

Caretaker GO YANKEES!!!

i grew up in a hardcore old time italian family all my family was from the OLD COUNTRY as they would say it and they never used recipes they always say you use yur eyes and yur taste...that how i looked how to cook is by feel and lookn and byu taste. i gotten to the point now where when i make a homemade tomato Sauce i can make any canned tomotoes you give me taste like the sauce i always make even though no two cans of tomatoes are alike. for i cook by look and taste and can make any sauce the same just have to adjust the seasopnings to get to where yu want to get to is all. but im the same way. i kinda wing it and dont know what i did to get ther ejust know i made it where i wanted to be.

good luck, good cooking and have fun with it.
    enjoy, kevin:) ;f

8. noway

noway

agreed, that's how I cook by eyes and taste buds. leave the receipes alone or just use them for ideas.

My fravorite Salmon method calles for a like coat of olive oil spread over the fillet with a sprinkle of kosher salt and fresh dillweed. I also perfer the skin on and cook the fillet skin down unwrap at first.

Salmon is one of my all time favorite fish that bakes/grills/smoke very easily and taste good.

9. nickg

nickg

cooking is based on "recipes" whereas baking is based on "formulas".

THAT'S why you follow the formula as directed. it only takes one mistake to ruin a project. but with recipes there is NO set base. add or leave out what you want according to taste or preference and no harm no foul. :)

10. mhambi

mhambi κολασμένος

lime juice
    honey
    coarsely ground ginger root
    worchestershire sauce

mix liquids, add ginger pour over filets (on double layer al foil) and set on grill. Spoon liquid over filets while cooking.

alternately:

prepare fish with a dry rub (lemon pepper, sea salt, a dash of savory or whatever) place on 1/2 inch hardwood plank (apple or cherry work very well) that has been soaked overnight in water or applejuice. Place plank directly on grill and close. (keep closed to keep the smoke in as much as possible.)

:)

11. Mrs. VR

yum Mhambi! Im going to send VR looking for a plank!:)

12. mhambi

mhambi κολασμένος

http://www.kitchenproven.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PLANKS

http://www.kraftfoods.com/kf/FoodandFamily/Summer_2004/InEveryIssue/CedarplankGrilling.htm

make sure it's untreated wood.

I don't care for the cedar, but if you go that route make sure it's western red cedar, as some of the other varities are toxic... :)

also good are hickory and mesquite (although planks of mesquite are hard to find)

13. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

For an easy, quick meal, I like heating up the George Forman and sprinkling the salmon with lemon pepper and just slappin' it on that thing. I usually remove the skin when I do this for an even cook. After it's done, I squeeze some fresh lemon on it and it's good to go.