Grilled or Seared Tuna Steak Recipes?

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by Hokie3, Apr 20, 2005.

1. Hokie3

Hokie3

I've recently had the craving for Tuna Steaks and was wondering if anyone had a good recipe they'd be willing to share with me. Last time I marinated the steaks in lemon juice, oil, rosemary, and garlic and grilled it over hot hot coals to a nice medium rare finish. Topped it with some fresh greens, fresh rosemary and grilled red peppers and stuck it on a sesame seed sandwich bun. It was mighty tasty. Any other suggestions?

2. Wulfenite

Wulfenite The King

Soak in teriakai. Grill for about a minute and a half a side on the hottest possible grill surface. Serve w/wasabi and soy sauce.

3. allanc

allanc "Inconceivable"

One of my favorite ways to fix good tuna steaks is as follows.

Heat olive oil in a pan.

Liberally sprinkle Tony Chachere's Cajun Spice on the tuna steaks.

Pan sear to desired level of doneness. (I prefer about a 1/4 to 3/8 inch rind depending on steak thickness.)

Remove from pan and squeeze lime juice over the steaks.

Serve with a dipping sauce of Ranch dressing with wasabi mixed in.

4. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

sprinkle fennel seeds over bottom of pan. Cook flip cook other side, when your desired doneness is reached, serve by pouring the oil and seeds over fish.

OOPS that was for sordfish

For Tuna oil- dill weed cook the same.

5. ChuckUles

ChuckUles Señor Member

Simple

We marinade it in a Goya product "Mojo Criollo" for an hour and grill it

Mojo is citrus based liquid bbq/marinade sauce - awesome

6. scowan007

scowan007 memberrific!!!

IMO it should be a felony to marinate a nice piece of tuna.;)

I use a touch of "shichimi Togarishi" a mix of crushed red pepper, dried orange peel, sesame seeds, and peeper. Comes in a little shake bottle with an orange label. High heat on the grill for aminute or so on each side. If it doesn't look raw in the middle, you overcooked it!

I tried this once and it was real good (was a piece of frozen tuna, wouldn't do this with a nice fresh piece): Mixed wasabi, honey and toasted sesame seeds and lightly coated the fish with it. med heat on grill, honey carmelizes, and makes a nice crunchy coating.

7. Garweh

Garweh CLM

Here is a Tuna Steak recipe with which I won a cooking contest. My wife is not a fish eater, but when I take the time to do this, she scarfs it down. The citrus syrup will keep practically forever in the fridge. The blood oranges and habaneros are a MUST in this recipe. The citrus syrup really cuts the heat from the Pico. Also works well with marlin, swordfish, etc.

Pan-seared Tuna Steak with Pico de Gallo & Citrus Syrup drizzle

Ingredients:
    Tuna:
    -4, 6 to 8 oz. tuna steaks cut 1 1/4 inches thick
    -2 Tbs. extra virgin olive oil
    -Salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste

Citrus syrup:
    -1 ½ cups freshly squeezed tangerine (8 tangerines) or orange (6 oranges) juice
    -1 ½ cups freshly squeezed blood orange (4-6 blood oranges) juice
    -Freshly squeezed juice from 2 lemons
    -Freshly squeezed juice from 1 lime
    -1/4 cup sugar

Pico de Gallo:
    -5 medium plum tomatoes, stem end removed, 1/4 inch dice
    -5 to 7 medium tomatillos, husks removed, washed, stem end removed, 1/4 inch dice
    -1 medium red or sweet onion, peeled, 1/4 inch dice
    -1 large clove garlic, peeled, finely minced
    -2 fresh jalapeno peppers
    -2 fresh habanero peppers
    -1 to 2 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
    -Freshly squeezed juice from 1 to 2 limes (to taste)
    -1 to 2 tsp. kosher salt (to taste)
    -Leaves from 1/2 bunch flat leaf parsley, washed & chopped

Method:
    Place citrus juice and sugar in heavy-bottomed saucepot and bring to boil over medium-high heat. Boil until reduced to syrup-like consistency (you will have about 6-oz. syrup). Chill in refrigerator or freezer until well chilled.

Combine equal volumes of tomatoes, tomatillos, and onion in a medium-mixing bowl. Add garlic and mix well. Remove stem ends from jalapeno peppers, cut peppers in half lengthwise and remove ribs and seeds. Slice peppers 1/8 inch thick and add to bowl. Remove stem ends from habanero peppers, cut peppers into quarters, remove ribs and seeds, add to bowl and mix well. For a hotter relish, the chilies may be minced or bruised before adding to the bowl. Add the olive oil, lime juice, and salt (to taste). Cover bowl and place in refrigerator for 1 to 4 hours for flavor to develop. Add parsley just prior to service. (Note: the "heat" level can be controlled by decreasing or omitting some of the chilies or by decreasing the marinating time. For the truly capsaicin intolerant, 2 to 3 roasted, peeled, and chopped poblano chilies OR a diced sweet red OR green bell pepper may be substituted for the jalapenos and habaneros)

Season the tuna with salt and pepper to taste. Heat 2 Tbs olive oil to shimmering in heavy-bottomed sauté pan over high heat. Sauté tuna 2 to 3 minutes per side for medium rare. Slice each steak in half diagonally. Place 1 piece flat on a plate and lean the other piece against it. Place a large spoonful of pico de gallo on one side of the tuna, drizzle the citrus syrup on the other side.
    Serve with a mixed green salad or some grilled radicchio. Toss the greens with EVOO, drizzle in some citrus syrup, toss again and serve.

8. Werewolf01

Werewolf01

I prefer Tuna steaks blackened on the grill.

9. Remander

Remander

Here is one I found on the 'net and tried when I first started cooking. It was great with wasabi mashed potatoes.

TUNA WITH GINGER ****AKE CREAM SAUCE

6 6-ounce tuna steaks, each about 1 inch thick
    2 tablespoons peanut oil

3 tablespoons butter
    1/3 cup thinly sliced green onions
    1/4 cup chopped cilantro
    2 tablespoons finely chopped peeled fresh ginger
    4 garlic cloves, chopped
    8 ounces fresh *****ake mushrooms, stemmed, caps sliced
    6 tablespoons soy sauce
    1 1/2 cups whipping cream
    3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
    Lime wedges and fresh cilantro sprigs for garnish (optional)

Preheat oven to 200°F. Sprinkle 1 side of tuna steaks with pepper, heat 2 tablespoons oil in heavy large skillet over high heat, place steaks (pepper side down) in hot oil and sear 2 minutes. Turn over and continue cooking to desired doneness, transfer tuna to rimmed baking sheet and keep warm in oven.

Add butter, sliced green onions, cilantro, ginger and chopped garlic to same skillet and sauté until fragrant, about 30 seconds, mix in mushrooms and soy sauce and simmer 30 seconds, add cream and simmer until sauce lightly coats back of spoon, stir in lime juice.

Spoon sauce onto plates, arrange tuna on top of sauce, garnish with lime wedges and cilantro sprigs, if desired. Serves 6.

10. m2hmghb

m2hmghb

Heck all I do is put some olive oil and butter in a pan and season the tuna with salt and black pepper sear and then finish on a low heat.