Grill strobes...what do I need?

Discussion in 'Firefighter/EMS Talk' started by emt1581, Nov 16, 2005.

1. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

The warranty on my car is about to run out in a few more thousand. I've postponed installing grill lights because it would have voided the warranty due to messing with the vehicles electrical system.

My car is a 2003 Pontiac Sunfire. I'd like to get a set of blue strobes for the grill. What do I need when it comes to equipment?

It will be professionally installed, but I want to gather all the needed parts now.

I'd like to be able to flip a toggle or something similar to turn them on inside my car. I'm also allowed to have an electronic air horn. Any way I can rig both the strobes and air horn up to the same box?

Again, what all do I need to buy to make it work?

Thanks!!

-Emt1581

2. DTD2

DTD2 vote or die

3. Turk40SW

Turk40SW

i wish my department would allow lights on POV's, but then I know the reason why they don't. A quarter of the folks in the department are under 25.

4. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

WACKERS!!!!

I'm under 25 but I'm observant to the fact that I'm not a cop. Believe it or not, some kids at our station have been "let go" for running lights and attempting police activities (i.e. pulling people over).

I haven't ordered from Galls, since I got my body armor from them about 6 years ago. I thought they were shut down or fined for selling to terrorists or something of the sort.

Anyways, I need to know specific things to get. Certainly SOMEONE must have lights in their personal vehicle and/or grill strobes that could tell me how they did it!??

Thanks!

-Emt1581

5. Tvov

Tvov

I just have the standard Whelan Responder blue revolving light on my dashboard. I just wired it into the accessory spot on the fuse panel, and installed a switch (a cool one that lights up blue, lol) on the dashboard. The last few years rarely used. I do believe for strobes you are going to need a "power pack", and run the lights off of that. I've not had to do that so I really don't know much about it.
    I have been in long enough that I realized unless I can really make a difference, with the vast majority of calls there is no need for me to "run hot" with my POV. Every couple years we may have an issue or two with people abusing blue lights (and it's NOT always the young guys!), but it is thankfully rare and a simple talk with the person(s) usually solves it.

6. Glkster19

Glkster19

You will need a power pack, the strobe bulbs, wiring and a switch. Make sure you have AT LEAST 15 watts available per light otherwise they will be dim especially during the day. 20 per light is ideal.

7. kyfirefreak

kyfirefreak

I get all my crap from www.strobesnmore.com
    They got the best deals i think.

Get ya a minimum of a 60watt power supply. They come in different numbers of outlets, depending on how many lights you want to run, 1 outlet per light. Then the grill mount lights & they should come with the wiring. Any old switch will work, dont really need anything fancy.

8. AWDTerror

AWDTerror Ass Penny

lshlights.net has better prices than strobesnmore.com
    but strobesnmore will competetor price with lshlights. i like snm.com service better.

9. fireguy129

fireguy129

stay away from galls!!! strobesnmore, lsh or ebay. If you're remotely handy you can put them in. switched 12v to the pack, run the cables and install the lights, you're done.

10. kyfirefreak

kyfirefreak

Galls sold restricted items to peoples in the mid-east that were on a "do not sell to" list. They got a hefty fine out of it. Now they are very careful on who they sell what to & why.
    What's the problem w/ all of the above. Area you talking about them installing for you?

11. Victory

Victory

my advice to you is to go LED. I've been very happy with LED's. 2 LED grill lights and a 7 pattern flasher will run about $70 on ebay (which is less than most strobes or anything from galls) Setup is easy as pie. If you're in SEPA i'll gladly help you install it if you're unsure of yourself. Never worked on your type of car but it can't be that hard.

Grill lights won't void your warranty any more than charging your cellphone via the cigarette lighter will.

12. MrWithasee

MrWithasee Not playing

Just curious - why on Earth would you want to install lights in your car? Your working on a PhD for heaven's sake, don't you think you a little old to be playing fire house?

13. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Actually it's a Psy.D.;)

And "Playing Fire House"??

I'm an EMT! It's not like I get a thrill out of putting my lights up...ok maybe a little, but it's moreso because I want people to move. You'd be shocked at how many (especially elderly) I get behind and unless I flash my headlights (even with the blue light) they don't move!... Imagine that...bright blue light flashing around on my roof, nothing, flash my lights and it's like they think I'm pulling them over!

So putting lights in the grill will hopefully have the same effect as having to flash the lights. Plus the strobes are more attention getting than the rotator, which, again should help with things.

-Emt1581

14. MrWithasee

MrWithasee Not playing

Sorry. ;J

I am a career firefighter/paramedic and I have found that drivers...all driver, young and old...apparently can't see the lights nor hear the sirens on an $800,000, 60,000 pound (or so) ladder truck. Lights in your grill, dash, rear deck, sun visor, roof or shooting out of your eyes won't make a difference in how people drive around you.

Don't waste you money.

15. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

It's ok. No big deal. As far as being to old. I'm in my early 20's. So I still have plenty of years "Playing fire house" ahead of me ;)

I have seen it though...the whackers that look like a rolling light show get most people to move. In mid-day sun you're lucky if they see the lights at all. Although the blue hairs are lucky if they can see over the wheel.

-Emt1581

16. Tvov

Tvov

?? Not really sure where you are coming from with this post. In my state (CT) and many others, volunteer FDs and EMTs are allowed to have lights and sometimes sirens in personal vehicles. This allows us to 1. get to the fire house faster to get the equipment rolling, and/or 2. respond directly to the scene (depending on department SOPs) to begin helping right away. In my department, depending on the dispatcher and the call, we many times have firefighters show up on the scene in personal vehicles (carrying PPE, extinguishers, other equipment) before the person making the call hangs up with the dispatcher.

In my department, we are "on call" all the time, we don't have shifts, we don't sleep at the firehouse, and we don't get paid when we respond.

17. MrWithasee

MrWithasee Not playing

Tvov, I respect your dedication to helping your community. Virginia law also allows red lights on POV's. However, many of the volunteers who use these lights on their cars give firefighters and paramedics a bad name. When these guys run up on your *** with their tick light running and expecting the car in front of them to yield, they put a bad taste in the mind of the citizens that firefighters are inconsiderate *****holes. Speeding to the firehouse while squealing tires does not bode well for our image.

I wish I could still find the article that addresses the use of not only lights on POV's but also on emergency vehicles, but I can't so I'll try and summarize from memory.

There was a study done a few years ago on the effectiveness of EV running their lights and sirens enroute to emergencies. The jist of their finding was that using emergency lights make little or no difference in the arrival time of the responders. The time difference ranges as much as 2 minutes to as little as 30 seconds. The study did also find a significant (something like 50%) increase in emergency vehicle involved motor vehicle crashes while using lights as opposed to not using them.

When I first came across this article, the reaction from others was obvious - "2 minutes can make a difference between life and death". Why do we always think in the extremes? Is every call you go on a REAL emergency? Or are the majority of them BS smells and bells and pre-hospital primary care dr. office-type visits for the uninsured?

My point is the increased likelihood of accident may not justify the use of emergency lights - especially on a young man's POV who feels the light gets him to the firehouse faster.

18. Tvov

Tvov

I remember that study, and there were articles in pretty much all the fire/ems related magazines about it. Along with a lot of discussion. So... What do you do? Remove the lights and sirens from fire engines? Of course not. As with anything, it comes down to enforcement of SOPs, and making sure your department uses common sense when responding "hot", whether in engines or POVs. This morning, we had two automatic fire alarms. Did I go flying down the road in my pickup truck with blue lights going? No. They were automatic fire alarms, I was not near the address, and not near the firehouse. I drove to the firehouse with traffic. As I said in an earlier response, when I am "playing fire house", I rarely respond with lights in my POV.

As opposed to the Ambulance department in my town, who are career. They respond to virtually everything hot, lights, sirens, electronic horns, you name it. Many times I've had people, who are very annoyed, ask me why the ambulance is seemingly always running with lights/siren, they assuming that EMS is part of the FD. In my town it is separate. I respond honestly that I am not sure why, but that it must be part of their SOPs.

Okay, enough. I took your bait with the "playing fire house" crack. Sorry emt1581 if I interrupted your thread.

19. MrWithasee

MrWithasee Not playing

No, no, no of course not. We still have responsibility to the citizens and tax payers to continue to put on the show.
    You brought up a very solid point though relating to the lights on your POV. If someone is racing to the station for a call (with or without their tick light going) and they get into a car wreck, the SOP's will not protect them. Some say the dept. will take care of it or even go so far ast o say there is a state law that covers them but the fact of the matter is, if due regard is not taken into consideration, your on the hook. I've seen too many young vollies running their tick light, weaving in and out of traffic, speeding, etc... It is easy to think that light grants permission to side step the traffic laws. Don't get sucked into that misconception. Don't jeopardize your rel career or family for the sake of palying firehouse.