close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Greetings from a Canadian helicopter mechanic...

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by AME206350, Nov 22, 2004.

1. AME206350

AME206350

Hi everyone. Just noticed that there was an aviation forum on GlockTalk and thought I'd pass on my greetings to everyone.

I live in Fort Nelson, BC, Canada and am a licensed rotorcraft engineer (AME). I manage a small base here where I maintain Bell Jetranger III's and Eurocopter AS350's (www.highland.ca)

Best thing about living up here is that I'm 7 minutes away from work and 3-and-a-half minutes away from the local range. So my days are easily split between my helicopters and the range.

I've flown a few times myself and still admire the skill of a competant bush pilot. So props to all you heli-pilots out there.

Very much into helicopters and guns glad to know there are more of us around.

Take care guys, keep the spinny side up,

JR

2. Makila

Makila

Hi AME
    Greetings from Las Vegas. Been working on AS350's and Bell 206's for about 14 years now, mostly tours and a little fire fighting contract. Looks like your company is pretty big with all those bases. Good to hear from another Ecuriel engineer.
    Makila
    :cool: ;c ;c ;c

3. AME206350

AME206350

Yeah, I'm a big fan of the Squirrel. I'd prefer to work on them over the tried-and-true Jetranger almost anyday (Better access to almost everything). Plus I don't need the grease gun as much. Although I just got a new greasable tail rotor spider that I need to install this week on our BA...hopefully that's the end of that.;)

I did a few years of tours (mostly seismic and firefighting) but am glad to have a base job now. Home almost every night.

Sounds like you and I have been at it about the same time. This'll be my 15th year that's just ending.

Must be nice to work in/around Vegas...it's -23C here in Fort Nelson.
    (Great for boosting heli performance though!...gotta love that dense air).

Nice to hear from another 206/350 guy. All the best.

:)

JR

4. Makila

Makila

AME
    Yep I sure like working Astars over the 206's. We just changed
    over our entire fleet to the new greasable spiders and one thing you'll notice is that they run a lot warmer. I mean if you were to feel it after a flight, they feel quite hot which is normal.But at -23C it wouldn't make a difference.
    My boss (Director of Maint) is Canadian and I had to get used to some of the terminology that you all use like AME (A&P's)AMO ( Repair Stations) engineers ( mechanics) Transport Canada etc.lol:) Great guy and the best boss I've had.
    Stay warm and keep the blades up and skids down.:cool: ;c
    Makila

5. AME206350

AME206350

Thanks for the note about the extra heat on the spider. I won't get too worried about it then.;) Kudos on all the Canadian lingo...you nailed it all!:) lol

I'll do what I can to stay warm, this'll be my first full winter up here.(Used to live in Vancouver...a little warmer there) I just bought a few boxes of 9mm and will go shooting this week anyway (my G17 doesn't mind the cold!). I was wondering what you were shooting? Let me know if you get a chance.

I've also got a 300hr on my 206 BIII and a 100hr on my AS350BA to do this week...hopefully it won't interfere with my range time. (I also have a torn t/r pitch change boot on my Jetranger...what a pain in the *** to fix that...off with the vertical stab and tail rotor pitch change just for a crappy boot...oh well...).

Take care man,

JR

6. Makila

Makila

Hi JR

TR pitch change boots;g I agree that it can be a PITA to replace. Luckily a slow week for me here in Sin City. Probably do a 100 hr and change out a couple of servos this week.
    My boss is in Vancouver this week visiting family. First time in 6 years he's been home.
    I have a Glock 22 but I've been shooting my 1911's more lately. I have 3 1911's, a S&W model 29 .44 mag , Colt Mustang 380, Keltec p-11 9MM with a .40 S&W slide and barrel conversion, and a P-32.
    Hope to go out this weekend to do some shooting.

Makila
    ;c

7. AME206350

AME206350

Hmmm, makes me wonder if I know your boss. I've been working out of Vancouver for the first 12 years of my career. (I'm sure he's familiar with Highland Helicopters anyway).

Wish I could afford a 1911. (I like the S&W 1911 that came out a couple of years ago)...I have a baby on the way and that means I'll probably have to make do with what I have.

Have fun shootin' this weekend,

JR

8. Makila

Makila

DL, my boss was at Heli-jet working S-76's. I'm sure he's aware of Highland Helicopters.I'll ask him when he gets back. He's stopping by Acro Aerospace in Richmond to check up on our engines and gear boxes presently in overhaul..
    This weekend I stopped at my favorite gun shop and the owner showed me the new Sig 1911.Seemed similar to the S&W 1911.Wasn't for sale though, just got it back from repairs.Broke out of the box!!!!!

Makila

9. AME206350

AME206350

I did a C20 course with guys at Helijet and know a few guys who work there (or used to anyway). I used to work at Acro as well. Highland's, head office is right between Acro and Helijet...not very useful info is it? ;Q ;)

That Sig 1911 looked sweet, but having one busted right out of the box doesn't get my interest up, that's for sure.;g The S&W 1911 sure reviewed well though.

I did a new AD on our 350 today (sb 64.00.05? maybe that's not right - certain sn tail rotor's only), I had to install 4 rivets per tail rotor blade to add some security to the trailing edge tabs. I guess some guys had some debond on them...sounds like a fix for a non-existant problem. Turned out good but I dislike taking a drill to blades unless I'm scrapping them...one Oops! and try explaining that to your boss!;)

Have a good one,

JR

ps- a survey crew busted the cargo door on my Jetranger yesterday and the day before that a claim-staker dropped his axe onto my aft cross tube...(damage was within limits) what's with these guys? Reminds me of the time about 2 years ago when I was working on a 205 doing seismic, some dork shoved a chainsaw not once but twice through the tailboom just below the cargo door, narrowly missed the stringer and bulkhead...of course no one fessed up. I can't imagine being a passenger, punching two holes in the fuselage and then getting on the helicopter with 6 of my buddies for a ride! For all this clown knew the tailboom might fall right off...takes all kinds I guess.;Q

10. skycrane

skycrane

hey,

How's it going. I work for C.A.C. on the orange ugly skycrane! Just wanted to say hi. Maybe i've met one of you on fires somewhere?
    I also started a thread too.

cheers,

Ryan Macallister

11. AME206350

AME206350

Hi Ryan!

Haven't been on any fires with the 64 yet, closely anyway. Cool machine. I worked with a guy that works or worked for CAC though when he was with Highland.

Cool machines. Love that insane blade coning angle when they have a really heavy load!

I took a base manager job with my company up in Fort Nelson, so pretty unlikely I'll see too many fires...I'll leave that to our pool engineers.;) I do almost all my work in a nice warm cushy hangar:)

Nice to hear from another Cdn. AME....what are you shooting?
    Let me know if you get a chance, and stop in at the Highland hangar in Fort Nelson if you are ever in town...

Have a good one,

JR

12. skycrane

skycrane

If im up there I will stop by for sure. As for what I shoot, Im going to shoot IPSC this year, and hopefully do some tactical rifle matches. Depending on work etc. I have a nice little Colt AR15, with ARMs rail, front post grip, Elcan...etc. I have a Springfield XD 40 with the 9mm conversion barrel, nite sights etc. And a few other guns. But I want to get a Glock 17 next for competition.

Cheers,

R.M.

13. Makila

Makila

Hi JR
    Had one tail rotor out our fleet of 11 Astars that need the rivets put in and its only got about 400 hrs on it!!!!I'll probably do that tomorrow. Here in the US we dont do as many AD's as you Canadians have to do. Couple of years ago we sold one of our BA's to an outfit in Grande Prairie and as the chief engineer were going over the records he showed me the AD list from Transport Canada and I pulled ours from from the FAA website and we only do half the AD's!!!! Go figure;g
    Heliusa.com
    Makila

14. AME206350

AME206350

Obviously, I'm a big fan of the Glock 17. You just can't go wrong there. (Nothing wrong with your XD either, I have a kid on the way otherwise the AR-15 has always been on my wishlist as well). I'd like to go out for IPSC too but it's just not happenin' in Fort Nelson. The nice thing is though, that our range is self supervised. If I'm by myself (or with friends) I draw from the holster and do run and gun through my own quickly thrown together IPSC-ish course. Won't get me a black badge but it'll keep me sharp. Of course now that all the snow is here I'm stuck behind the firing line...unless I want to shovel my course out.

15. AME206350

AME206350

Really? I guess we get stuck with all the French AD's as well where as you just have to listen to the FAA...must be nice. ;)

ps-Some pretty swank paint on your helicopters...beats the hell out of yellow, brown and orange (welcome to the 70's).:)

16. FLIPPER 348

FLIPPER 348 Bigfoot enthusiast enthusiast

Yo guys,

I just did 5 years on French Pumas, old 330Js on a ship. They were the smallest helos i've worked with as I'm more used to CH 47s and Skycranes. Right now I'm on a K-Max project that hopefully will go BIG. I hope you guys are catching some fish up there between work!

.........as I BBQ-ed a nice Sokeye this evening while watching some football