Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at a Gun show in the DFW area this last week. Two dealers were selling 62 gr green tip .223 ammo- No big deal Maybe more dealers I don't know.

The two that caught my eye had hand drawn signs, stating that as of Feb 2012 that this steel core ammo would not be available to civilians any longer. Does anyone else have any info on this restriction?

·
Registered
542 Posts
Probably just looking to boost their sales. Wouldn't be the first time I've seen questionable business ethic at a gun show.

·
Glockeologist
374 Posts
My shooting buddy told me just yesterday that he read where our armed forces are looking for even more penetration than the green tip can deliver. A new round has been developed with a steel tip and copper body (similar to a steel-tipped Barnes, I assume) and the 62 grain green tip will become obsolete. The new ammo will still be made in Lake City, but will cost up to 3 times as much to produce.

I have been seeing the green tip in ammo cans for sale in far more places than ever before over the past 3 or 4 months. I read where somebody bought a can at a Wal-Mart in Missouri recently. I don't shoot it that much, but will be looking to get another can or 2 just in case.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
My shooting buddy told me just yesterday that he read where our armed forces are looking for even more penetration than the green tip can deliver. A new round has been developed with a steel tip and copper body (similar to a steel-tipped Barnes, I assume) and the 62 grain green tip will become obsolete. The new ammo will still be made in Lake City, but will cost up to 3 times as much to produce.

I have been seeing the green tip in ammo cans for sale in far more places than ever before over the past 3 or 4 months. I read where somebody bought a can at a Wal-Mart in Missouri recently. I don't shoot it that much, but will be looking to get another can or 2 just in case.
That would be awesome! Surplus steel tipped 556!

·
Premium Member
7,584 Posts
Thats a load of BS, just some ***** sellers with a agenda.

I have seen some good prices on "Not for Duty Use" marked green tip for the last few months. I am guessing a bad lot that the military is dumping on civilians. Wonder how bad the ammo has to preform for this to happen. 1-5 in 1000 fail to fire or something?

·
Monkeyboy
6,286 Posts
Typical gun show BS. Man, I hate those aholes.

·
AAAMAD
33,195 Posts

I have seen some good prices on "Not for Duty Use" marked green tip for the last few months. I am guessing a bad lot that the military is dumping on civilians. Wonder how bad the ammo has to preform for this to happen. 1-5 in 1000 fail to fire or something?
or it fails the accuracy requirement, or there was a mistake in the production etc.

8,219 Posts

I have a case of that. If functions fine and its flawless. I thought Not for Duty Use was a note for police not to use it because it penetrates so well.

·
Registered
8,711 Posts
I have a case of that. If functions fine and its flawless. I thought Not for Duty Use was a note for police not to use it because it penetrates so well.
Think again Che, it's because it doesn't meet the reliability, or accuracy requirements to be issued as duty ammunition. It's a crap shoot whether it performs well or not.

·
Still Alive
1,578 Posts
In the last few years I have noticed more idiots selling at gun shows. They don't have a clue what they are talking most of the time and fill in their lack of knowledge with piles of BS.

8,219 Posts
I called up Federal and left a message so I'm wait and see what they have to say. I doubt they would sell inferior ammo to the civilian market.

·
Registered
8,711 Posts
I called up Federal and left a message so I'm wait and see what they have to say. I doubt they would sell inferior ammo to the civilian market.
Military/LEO ammo has a different quality standard then civilian ammunition. There are different contract standards. How often do you hear of problems with winchester white box ammunition compared to winchester ranger or other winchester self defense ammunition types?

·
Banned
5,375 Posts

·
Always Carrying
3,144 Posts
Federal would not release ammo that was not safe to shoot.....too much liability. probably some minor issue at the Tax Payers expense, Mike.

·
Where's my EBT?
6,711 Posts
Yes and it'l piss off the owners of steel targets too!:whistling:
Really? Because my range allows M855 on steel targets.

They are not, after all, armor-piercing. Heck 7mm Mag Nosler Partitions will do a heck of a lot more damage to a steel plate.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts