Glock Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
30,515 Posts
I have dozens of Crimson Trace and Streamlight laser/lights on all my defense guns and a number of plinking guns.
Practice with them 3-4 times a week.

The last 5 days I've been shooting a Green Laser equipped 22 Mare's Leg.
Green because I'll probably be shooting this gun during the day.

The Red is fine for dark or low light, even in the house during the day.

The Green is very bright and can be seen during daylight but not much in bright Sunlight.
The Green can be TOO bright at night.

I have Red on all my defense guns.

Just minutes ago I was shooting my carry SIG P938.
Crimson Trace Red laser.
10 yards.

· Registered
30,515 Posts
I am thinking about adding a laser to my G19 & see quite a bit of good info on brands & models, but I was wondering in general, what color laser works best for all around use? Thanks in advance.
I keep a Crimson Trace Green rail laser equipped G19 in my car 24/7.
Since, if I ever needed this gun it would probably be during the day I use the brighter laser.

· Registered
30,515 Posts
I just found this picture.
Unless there is smoke, humidity, dust, etc in the air you can't see the Red laser at night.

This us why I don't have Green lasers on my (after dark) defense guns.

I do have several Green lasers on guns I like to practice (laser shooting) during the day, and the G19 I leave in my car.

Today was the first time in about a week I didn't shoot using a laser equipped gun. Today I shot a SIG P938 using iron sights.

· Registered
30,515 Posts
Yes, the laser dot. Say during recoil the front sight moves 3 inches. The laser dot is going to move a lot more than 3 inches. Also, a front sight is easier to find initially than a laser dot.
Wrong.

I have put the timer on it.
Using any sight set up , night sights, hand held flashlight, etc, then using the laser equipped gun, the laser shooter will put 1 to 3 ACCURATE hits on the target before the first (inaccurate) shot from iron sights.

I've had ladies on their first time shooting at my place and on their 4th, 5th and 6th magazine, in total darkness, fast firing at 4 spaced out steel plates, from about 8 yards, using a laser/light equipped pistol. I've counted ONE MISS in 12 magazines.
These were ladies that never before shot a gun.

I doubt that many shooters that have been shooting for a little while could do that using iron sights.

If you can see it in low light, you can hit it.

By the time I shot the 40 yard target it was so dark the target was a blur.

And while the iron sight shooter is looking for the front sight the laser shooter, in some cases, doesn't even have to bring the gun up to eye level. :)

· Registered
30,515 Posts
As mentioned, the human eye sees more shades of green then any other color. It's said to trace back to the early humans need to see predators and prey...back to the topic I prefer green lasers, there is plenty of data about what is better in what situation.
It's interesting that the people that know, claim the Green and Red lasers are the same "brightness". They claim the Green appears brighter to your eyes.

But when I light them side by side I could bet the farm the Green is way "brighter".

From Crimson Trace.

"WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A RED LASER AND A GREEN LASER?
A red laser is highly visible in low light. The output peak for both lasers is the same yet the human eye naturally detects the color green, hence the green laser appearing brighter in natural bright day light. Both the green and red laser Crimson Trace produces emit the maximum output allowed by law – a Class 3R laser."

· Registered
30,515 Posts
Yesterday I received the Green Crimson Trace for my SIG P938 (9mm).
Shooting it yesterday and today.

Also shooting the Red CT laser on the SIG P938 (22LR).

Sunlight both days.

The Red can be seen back to about 10 yards, or so. But it has to be looked for. (That's why I teach that lasers are for low light.

The Green doesn't "hit you in the face" but is much better than the Red.

This makes about four Green lasers and I don't know how many Red I have. (Have I said, I'm a BIG laser fan :) )

From now on I'm only buying Green, even though at present they cost a good deal more than the Red and the battery life is shorter

BTW,
One of my gripes is a "grip" laser button causes the laser to light, whether or not you want it on.
I find this distracting when I'm shooting iron sights.
I don't want the laser coming on all the time anyhow.

BUT the CT Green laser I just received has a little a "Off/On" switch.

Maybe CT has heard me complaining. :)

· Registered
30,515 Posts
Sure, red is hard to see in daylight, but it's much more practical in low light (not blindingly bright like green).
I did an experiment a few nights ago. Although I've had the Green lasers for a good while I never got around to checking this out.
I have thought that the Green laser would be overwhelmingly bright in total darkness.

A few nights ago, in total darkness, in my 20+ foot white walls living room, I shined the Green CT laser on the far wall.
No problem.
If the laser was shining in my eyes I think it would be blinding but having the Green laser on MY GUN was a different matter.

Something that was interesting is with the laser dot on the far wall I could (just) make out everything in the room. Not real detail but could see chairs, lamps, etc.

The thing is, this convinced me to get Green Lasers, instead of Red from now on.

· Registered
30,515 Posts
What brand revolver?
Oh heck I don't know. I have lasers on quite a few revolvers and semi autos.

It was years back when I started timing the first shot, in low light, using the laser equipped guns and night sights, plain iron sights and hand held flashlights, etc.
Off hand I don't remember using any revolvers in these speed/accuracy tests, but I may have.

But a good example is the last few weeks using a Red laser in daylight.
It (for me) is much slower than iron sights in daylight.
The problem is, although the (faint) laser dot can be seen on the target, if the laser dot is off the target, like on the berm, the laser dot probably can't be seen, and of course, this slows you (me) down getting the dot on target.

This is why I say, the correct use for the laser is when it's low light enough that the laser dot stands out when pointed at ANYTHING around the intended target.
In other words, in low light or indoors.

Today I'm shooting the Green and Red laser in Sunlight, I would be mostly faster and just as accurate with iron sights under these conditions.

The laser is a great tool but like most tools, it has to be used correctly.

· Registered
30,515 Posts
I am thinking about adding a laser to my G19 & see quite a bit of good info on brands & models, but I was wondering in general, what color laser works best for all around use? Thanks in advance.
A couple days ago I put the timer on the G19 when using the Crimson Trace Rail (green) laser and using iron sights.
It doesn't really prove anything except that I need to get the timer and G19 out more often. :)

· Registered
30,515 Posts
I'm interested in which revolver was pictured....the brand name.
Oh, that's a 3 inch S&W J Frame Model 36 with the Crimson Trace laser grips.

I like the 2 and 3 inch barrel S&W J Frame.
Have another 2 inch with the CT laser "boot grip".

I used to like shooting (the non laser) J frame from 52 yards, standing, at 2 foot steel targets.
Would usually miss about 5 times.
I have to get back to doing that again.
Fun. :)

As I recall, the last time shooting 52 yards was using one of the CT laser 38's.
It was interesting in that the battery was going dead when I started but I still got off 36 shots before the Laser died.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.