close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

green lasers? anyone knowledgable abou them?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by ked, Jun 17, 2012.

1. ked

ked

looking for a green laser for my 14 year old son. possibly a 100mw laser in a hand held, pen size.

thanks, ked

2. Arquebus12

Arquebus12 Non-broccophobe CLM

Gotta ask... what for? Just a play thing/high-tech cat toy?

3. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

A 100 mW laser is as bad as a gun, even worse, you can't hear it. The damage to eyes by direct and indirect exposure is permanent. This is a power level that will cause serious injury.

I believe you meant 5 mW level. that is the commonly highest level of power that is considered safe without direct eye exposure.

I have worked with lasers over 1,000 Watts and the problem is you don't know you have lost some or most of your vision until you realize you have blanks in your field of view.

sorry I missed you wanted a pen size. I bought 4 off Ebay 5 mW for $12 a few years ago. No doubt they are cheaper now. Great for pointing out stars.

That said, and aside for now, my son and I bought a really nice dual color laser with adjustable intensity and red or green, from a local Fleet Farm Store for $35 .

He has a Ruger MIII (I forget it's the newest model) and I use a long S & W 22S.

It was an excellent buy.

4. Huaco Kid

Huaco Kid

They obviously live near an airport.

5. Arquebus12

Arquebus12 Non-broccophobe CLM

6. goldenlight

goldenlight

Lasers with more than 5mW of power are illegal in the USA. It is a Federal law.

Many places will ship them to you from overseas, but it's about like buying an automatic knife: about all you can do with a high powered laser is play with it indoors.

If you take it outside, and somebody calls the cops, you could be in real trouble... Especial if there are some unsolved airplane laser shining incident(s) they want to close out.

A 5mW green laser is plenty bright, for a toy for a child.

He can still get into plenty of trouble by shining it in the neighbor's windows, or at an airplane.

7. airmotive

airmotive Tin Kicker

Sit down with your kid and teach him that pointing a laser at an aircraft, as fun and cool as it may seem to him and his friends when they're sitting around bored one night, is the same as taking pop shots at it with dad's AR. Pilots lose their vision...and they kinda need that.

Okay...I'll also ask. What's a kid need a laser for? Give a lot of PowerPoint presentations does he? If it's an educational thing, I get it. If it's just something for him to stick in his pocket, I can envision no scenario that doesn't end up with you getting called to the principal's office or police station.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2012
  8. willie_pete

willie_pete NRA Life Member

Lasers are not a 14 YO kid's friend.

WP

9. Ironbar

Ironbar

Green lasers didn't seem to work for Achilles:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUxDmKFCD2o"]Robot Jox Fight Scene (Achilles vs Alexander) - YouTube[/ame]

10. SPDMTL

SPDMTL

I work with all kinds of lasers in the surgical setting most
    commonly being the green light laser. While not a 1000 watt laser as some others here have worked with, it's still quite powerful. This laser, if not wearing the proper eye
    protecton, will PERMANENTLY blind you BEFORE you can blink your eyes! Some of our other common lasers, like C02, will burn the cornea of your eye if not protected, the
    Green Light Laser will fry your retinas. Instant permanent blindness!
    Definately NOT A TOY even at 100mw.
    -BILL-

11. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

The people that are not afraid of laser powers over 5 mW are jeopardizing their eyesight. There is no pain when you burn out part or all of your retina. Be very careful with any laser. The damage to your eyes is not reversible, its gone.

Lasers on the order of 5 mW are not a problem at a distance, but will cause damage if looked at from close up.

12. Bushflyr

Bushflyr ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ Millennium Member

Seriously, do NOT get him a 100mW green. They're easy to get from China, but very dangerous. And this coming from a guy who made fireworks back in the dark ages.

The problem with the China greens is that they have no UV filters. So along with the visible green light you get a TON of invisible uv.

I bought one of the 100mw greens a while back and, of course, couldn't resist playing with it in the house as soon as it came. Also, of course, I didn't do anything particularly stupid like looking into the beam or shining it on any reflective surfaces. However, after playing with it in the house for about 10 minutes my eyes felt INCREDIBLY fried for 2 days. About what they would feel like if I spent the entire day out in the tropical sun with no sunglasses. No permanent damage, but it definitely gave me a healthy respect for that laser.

I only use it outdoors for pointing out stars and such now. It's great for that, but definitely NOT a toy.

13. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

The reason for this is that the Green light is produced by pumping a doubler crystal with UV. The doubling crystal produces green light out.

14. DaGump

DaGump Enigma CLM

15. Ftttu

Ftttu

I've had one for the last few years and I rarely use it. I got it at one of my astronomy star parties I attend and I only use it at star parties when the nights are clouded over. For kids, there is no way I would trust one. I don't want them banned but like guns, I just want those who use them to act responsibly.

16. sdsnet

sdsnet NRA Member CLM

Beware the blue lasers as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue-light_hazard#Blue-light_hazard Blue-light hazard is defined as the potential for a photochemical induced retinal injury resulting from radiation exposure at wavelengths primarily between 400 nm and 500 nm. This has not been shown to occur in humans, only inconclusively in some rodent and primate studies (also a lack of authoritative references, and quantifying the conditions used. The mechanisms for photochemical induced retinal injury are caused by the absorption of light by photoreceptors in the eye. Under normal conditions when light hits a photoreceptor, the cell bleaches and becomes useless until it has recovered through a metabolic process called the visual cycle. Absorption of blue light, however, has been shown to cause a reversal of the process where cells become unbleached and responsive again to light before they are ready. This greatly increases the potential for oxidative damage. By this mechanism, some biological tissues such as skin, the lens of the eye, and in particular the retina may show irreversible changes induced by prolonged exposure to moderate levels of UV radiation and short-wavelength light.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2012
  17. jbutenhoff

jbutenhoff

Head to Dealextreme.com and get their 5mw green laser. Picked up one a year or so ago and it is great.

Giving a 14 year old anything more powerful will not turn out good in any way. The 100mw ones will pop balloons, light matches, and cause blindness.

18. eracer

eracer Where's my EBT?

I 'know someone' who has both 75mW green, and 1W blue lasers.

They are a blast, but 'that guy' never uses them indoors, and is always very careful where they are pointing (as in straight up in the air after checking for aircraft) when used outdoors.

No way I would give one to a kid.

19. grg3d

grg3d

This is pretty neat....you will end up with no CD cases left at home
    [ame]http://youtu.be/PbWGjPByXKk[/ame]

20. grg3d

grg3d

Well once you spend $299.99 whats another 99.95 :whistling:
    [ame]http://youtu.be/jGOlEeXANm8[/ame]