Green laser focus vs red

Discussion in 'Sights, Optics and Lasers/Lights' started by onespeedbiker, Jun 13, 2020.

1. onespeedbiker

onespeedbiker

This is not a which is better thread, instead it's about the focus or sharpness of a green laser. I recently bought 2 Crimson Trace Rail Master for my Glock; CMR-201 (red) and CMR-206 (green). I actually bought the green laser sight first and noticed the laser dot was not the focused dot I am used to seeing with red lasers. Just to be sure I bought the red version, and immediately saw the difference. At 10 yards with the red laser I can keep all my rounds in a 2" circle, while with the green laser the pattern opens up to 4-5 inches due to the lack of focused dot. Is this just normal about green lasers, or is it something I should be talking the Crimson Trace about.

2. Mugsie1

Mugsie1

The green should be a pin point too. Definately contact CT.

3. onespeedbiker

onespeedbiker

4. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Staff Member Moderator

Any grunge on the lens will distort the size/shape of the dot.
    I'd clean the exterior lens in accordance with the instructions before talking to them.

5. onespeedbiker

onespeedbiker

Thanks for responding.. The more I looked at it, the more I think is my old eyes. When I actually shined both together on the same surface I saw both where the same size and focus. Using a laser means after 40 years, I have to retrain my eyes from focusing on the sights to focusing on the target. I seem to be able to focus on a red dot better than green, so I think I just need more time with the green.

DJ Niner likes this.
  6. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Staff Member Moderator

I'm also suffering from advanced middle age, so I've been trying out some lasers as well.

I've noticed the green is so bright on light-colored surfaces that the dot seems much bigger. Try to shine them on a darker object that isn't so reflective, you may get a better idea of the true size and shape of the dot.

I also practice on targets of varying color for the same reason; the laser dot changes quite a bit depending on the color and surface texture of your "target".

I want to minimize surprises in case I ever need to use one for defense.

7. cadillacguns

cadillacguns Millennium Member

Remember to the THUGS Red means stop, and green means go.
    I carry a red one.