"Green" energy you say?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Cmacc, Nov 16, 2019.

1. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

What I can't figure. It's dang hard to discover "break even point" on any of this green energy.
    I have heard claims that large wind farms go into profit in one yr. but those trying to get land claim 10-12 yrs.
    Solar I was just told 6-10 yrs before all expenses covered. But nobody has shown me a actual cost, actual production over 3 yrs...
    Such as "it cost $45 million to plan, develope, build this wind farm from 2009-2011. Production started June 2011. We produced, sold a average $4.5 in energy over next 5 yrs with $2 million in maintenance. Estimated life of blades is 30 yrs , estimated life generator heads25 yrs...."
    Something I could run math on.
    Local REA did a solar farm. In 10 yrs it was projected to "make" @$600 worth of electric more then it cost. (So again it was projected to break even in decade) IIRC at yr 5 I asked (are you on track to break even point??). Never got a call back.
    Solar, wind have been going large scale 20 yrs. factual info must be out there. Anyone know where to find a simple source?

Building wind farm with 45 units, total cost permits, bribes...materials $$$ government rebates on bribes $$. Construction$$$$. Total cost day it was hooked int grid $$$$$$
    5 yr $$$ from sales of energy. Cost of bribes, maintenance during 5 yrs. 10 yrs? Some of the ones reaching replacement of blades, hardware? Abandonment?

Atomic Punk likes this.
  2. FullClip

FullClip Native Mainiac CLM

Here in New England at 12:40 on a rather low demand day and time for electricity, the total demand is 14,010 MWs. Total wind production is 75 MWs. How many more windmills would have to go up to meet the total demand.

You can see the real time data here...pretty easy site to navigate.

https://www.iso-ne.com/isoexpress/web/charts

Atomic Punk likes this.

3. FullClip

In California right now at 12:44 EST the total demand on the grid is 20,008 MWs. Wind power is supplying 505 MWs of that.

Again, here is the site for California.

http://www.caiso.com/TodaysOutlook/Pages/supply.aspx

The last combined cycle power plant I started up could put out 750MWs...on demand and had a footprint of less than 10 acres...including the warehouse area.

Slackinoff likes this.
  4. thequintessentialman

thequintessentialman

In as much as I understand the backlash against leftist's lunacy, there is nothing wrong with alternative energy. It creats jobs, increases commerce and business, and decreases our dependence on mideast oil. Some can decrease pollution if implemented effectively. When someone developes a cost effective electric truck that outperforms my 4x4 off road Diesel, I'm definitely interested in looking. Dont kill good ideas just because the leftists trip on it and think it's theirs. Those guys are kids chewing on drop cords...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

JW1178 likes this.
  5. flyover

flyover

A while back there was a show on Discovery or some such. The company built heavy duty industrial shredders. I say put them on it. Shred the blades up and add it to asphalt and or concrete.

View: https://youtu.be/vqiY59iDgRQ

6. Atomic Punk

Atomic Punk

The best energy source we should have invested a LOT more in is nuclear.
    The uranium reactors have come a long way since the last few were produced here.
    Since the cold war is pretty much done, there's no real reason to have more uranium reactors.

New tech in thorium reactors are where we should be going.

railfancwb, Cmacc, Batesmotel and 4 others like this.
  7. JohnBT

JohnBT NRA Benefactor

Of course it's possible to shred a wind turbine blade. First, you haul it down and cart it away. Each blade is what, 130 feet long and weighs 10 tons? Then you cut it up into pieces you can fit into a special shredder - all without breathing the dust. Then you use magnets and fancy vacuums to sort it out. Then you haul it away if you can find a buyer who would probably prefer to not bother with it and just use virgin material of known quality.

A lot of landfills take fiberglass boats. After you remove the gas, gas tanks, oil, sludge, grease, hydraulic fluid, sewage, old liquor bottles and whatnot. Then you have to pay to haul it to the dump.

Atomic Punk and FullClip like this.
  8. FullClip

No problem with fiberglass or any type of boat. Proper term for disposal is "scuttle".(verb, not noun definition)

railfancwb likes this.
  9. jmohme

jmohme

Thats funny, but probably true.

10. Hicksville Kid

Hicksville Kid

Ask Greta Thunberg about it. She’s got all the answers.

railfancwb and Bus007 like this.
  11. Geeorge

Geeorge Sarcasm Inc.

Cut up into manageable sized pieces and use for the border wall

larry_minn, railfancwb, NMG26 and 2 others like this.
  12. Atomic Punk

Atomic Punk

Actually. Shredded fiberglass blown and epoxied to the wall would be a decent additional deterrent.

Cmacc and flyover like this.
  13. astepup

astepup

Estimated. Uh huh. My dad had six wind turbines put on the farm. Big suckers at 207 ft tall, blades around 130-150 ft IIRC. This is I believe the 13th or 14th year since the start up of the Intrepid Wind Farm project here in NW Iowa. Mid American Energy did an "environmental impact study" on the number of birds (both migratory and non-migratory) for close to a year. They'd come out once a month and count all the little birdies laying dead around the wind turbines. Total count for a year? Zero. Nada. None.

After that study I made it a point to pay more attention to the areas surrounding the six wind turbines (seven if you include the one on my aunts ground) and I also have yet to see one dead bird, migratory or otherwise.

Too bad Mid American didn't hire members of the Audubon Society to sit out there for a year straight to count how many canadian geese, ducks, eagles, hawks, starlings, robins, blue jays and whatever else can fly would land on their tents after the turbine blades would get in the way of their flight pattern.

NMG26 likes this.
  14. railfancwb

railfancwb