close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Greeley, CO Debriefing

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by DannyR, Aug 24, 2002.

1. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Please post your comments here, including scores if possible.

2. DannyR

Anybody home;d

3. LOCHFAL

LOCHFAL Millennium Member

Wow, I thought this thread would be hopping by now. I just got back home from the match. Not many pple there today at all. Met with Student and his friend again. All three of us shot two entries each and hung around forever talking to the armorer. Theyve got Dave from Daves guns up there selling Glock shirts, range bags and mags etc. We were told yesterday was pretty steady till the afternoon, but today was real slow.

4. ace007

ace007

I was waiting to respond until after the match was over. Most of you probably saw my post asking questions about the format of the matches. this was my first GSSF match and along with a friend of mine we RO'd the match as well just to get the whole experience.

It was pretty busy on Saturday up until about 2pm and then things started getting slow and we took out chance to shoot. We decided to both shoot my friends 23 which I had never touched before. I was going to shoot his 34 but I figured I would have a better chance of winning something in Amateur class. I probably should have tried out the gun ahead of time. I am used to a full size gun and did not shoot very well at all with his compact so we won't talk much about that.

So after the match what are my general impressions as a new GSSF shooter and normally a USPSA shooter. I do also want to comment about the safety of the match. For the most part almost all of the shooters did very well with their safety skills. We had to remind people a few times to keep the muzzle pointed at the back berm and only once really had to yell at one guy a few times and control his arm until he got it.

The shooters were very appreciative for the work of the ROs and we got many thanks for helping out which was greatly appreciated by us. It started out a little chilly in the morning on Saturday and looked like rain but it quickly cleared out by lunch time and started getting hot but not as hot as it could have been.

There were some pretty good shooters at the match and quite a few beginners which made for a nice contrast. The Glock armorer was kept pretty busy though during the morning. Just in my stage I saw quite a few malfunctions that were taken to him and resolved. I don't know if this is a Glock thing but I've not seen that many problems at a IPSC match before. By the afternoon it seemed like all mechanical problems had been resolved.

So now for my impressions of the match itself. As some of you may have seen in my previous posts I'm used to run and gun shooting so I did not find the stages very intellectually challenging. If I had been shooting my full size Beretta that I normally compete with I think I would have shot them very well but o well.. I can see the attraction of why many people like GSSF especially the newer shooters.

The method of handling the shooters and the shooting order I think could use some work. I understand why they do it the way they do so people can shoot when ever they want but it is not very smooth. It seemed like the shooters all wanted to start at one stage creating long waits while other stages were very slow. It was also time consuming for the ROs to locate each shooters score sheet in the master pile when they come back and want to shoot a stage.

I don't know if I will shoot a GSSF match again unless I win a Glock by some strange change. With having an actual promoter the match has a good prize program and I really liked the fact that they had the armorer there to solve problems for free right there on the spot.

Rob

5. rtr

rtr Glockaholic

This was my first match, GSSF or otherwise, I shot my 26 in subcompact and my 17 in amateur stock. Overall I thought it was a lot of fun, I went on Sunday and my friend and I were the last shooters, we didn't have to wait at any of the stages. I didn't shoot that well, however my last string of fire on the plates I shot all of the plates in 6.93 (i think that's correct), which I was pretty proud of. Anyways I'll definitely go again next year!

Also the armorer replaced a mag spring for me and checked all my other mags, what a great service.

6. FireCop-G19

FireCop-G19

Well, I pretty much sucked..........

I went first thing Saturday morning. Beautiful day to shoot, aabout 55 degrees, and hardly any shooters. I shot my first stage at 9am, and left at 10:30. My 27 broke the slide lock spring on my 2nd string at the 5 To Glock, so I ran to the armorer and got it fixed, then went and re-shot that 5 To Glock. The 27 shot better than I did.

The 17 shot great, other then some light primer strikes. Had to rack the slide to chamber a new round, so that slowed me down. Happened about every other mag it seemed. It's my fault, though. I recently moved into our new house. All my reloading equipment sat in our semi-trailer on our new property for about 6 months. Of course, the primers were in a box in the trailer. I suspect the heat got to them. I had used about 600 primers out of this same box just before packing them up last year, and they were fine. So that will teach me!!

So, with shame, I must report a score of 180.78 for Am Civ. But after looking at the past two years scores, that may be a strong high B-class finish.

Otherwise, a good time as usual. Mama's birthday is today, so after the match, we high tailed it to Grand Lake via Trail Ridge Road were I had a lodge room reserved with a nice dinner at 6. We got up this morning and drove south through Winter Park, then up through Boulder back into Estes Park, and on home. Had a great time there too!

7. FireCop-G19

FireCop-G19

Almost forgot, they had some orange training mags too. Some brand new ones (.40 S&W, can't remember which model), and I think some new 10mm mags. Also had about a dozen or so G17 NFML mags for $40. However, they were not the actual orange mags. They were 1st and 2nd generation regular ol' NFML mags that had been painted orange, and they looked like hell!!

Well, I bought 2, and after some elbow grease, some Nitro Solvent, a couple of acid brushes, and a Glockmeister mag rebuild kit I had laying around, I got a couple of nice mags for a bargain!!

8. BCarver

BCarver Millennium Member CLM

I just returned from the Greeley match. The weather and lighting was great,just like the fellow Glocksters that I had a chance to meet. As soon as I return from a busines trip Friday, I will post a streaming video of Mr. Jim Dailey shooting plates. IMPRESSIVE!!!

Many competitors were interested in the CARVER mounts and I had to pleasure of showing them the mounts.

The RO's were very helpful to all of the shooters and I didn't see a long line anywhere that was not addressed ASAP.

My shooting was not up to par. I had great runs on everything except the 25 yard 5 to Glock target. I dropped a few points on that target.

This is a great match. If you live near Greeley and don't take advantage of this opportunity, you are missing a great match!!

I'll be back next year, if the "Good Lord is willing".

Best Regards,
    Bobby

9. Cottonwood

Cottonwood

Shot my first match today, GSSF or otherwise, and enjoyed it. Will probably go again next year. I shot around 1 p.m. on Sunday and was the only one in line.

I would recommend that you advise beginners to shoot in the mornings, even if there are long lines. I didn't get the opportunity to watch anyone else shoot before I shot the 5 to Glock. Not being familiar with the course, just what I've read, I got confused and forgot to double tap on the 5 to Glock. Had to go back and fire at some of the targets again. I think if I could have watched a few shooters before shooting myself, I would have done better.

Anyway, it gave me a taste of competition and I got to show off GSSF465. Because of GT and GSSF, I will probably try some of the other local competitions. Not sure what my score was, but would guess about 250.

10. jim c

jim c Millennium Member

well unfortunately i was unable to make it out either day. which is a bummer as not only did i compete the last 3x's but also ro'd too.
    it seems from what i have read here that attendence was minimal. the first year there was somewhere in the 200 range shooter wise (iirc) and has decreased since.
    my complaint is that outside of the GSSF forum here. as well as it being posted in the range newsletter (members only) there was no advertising nor push by either GSSF or the range itself to get more glock shooters out to the match. the first year it was held in weld cty, you couldn't go into a gun store without seeing a flyer for the match. now nothing.i have mentioned it before to board members but obviously it was a waste of my time.
    yes i know that perhaps it is done to keep sightseer's/ tourist down to a minimum. bit by having onlookers, isn't that how we get more people involved with the sport as well as gun ownership as well??
    so am i out of line for bi$#%^&ing about this or is there some validity? other than that i look foward to shooting next year.

11. rtr

rtr Glockaholic

Your out of line, the fewer people, the higher chance of winning a new Glock!, seriously though, there was nobody there when I shot around 2pm on Sunday.

I agree, being a newbie, I didn't forget to shoot anything, however if I could have watched some other people shoot I think I might have recognized some better strategies, etc. It would have been a good learning experience.

12. latzke

latzke

Jim C

I wouldn't have known about it except a friend of mine let me know. I went into a few gun stores around here in the couple weeks prior and didn't see a sign.

Regardless...it was fun. Maybe we should be the ones to tell everyone we know about it and get the word out. Problem is I have no friends. :0

- Craig

13. ace007

ace007

How long does it usually take for the results to be posted on the GSSF website?

Thanks

Rob

14. DannyR

Ace,

Preliminary results can be expected in 5 to 10 days. JEL will make a post in this forum when the results are up.

15. LOCHFAL

LOCHFAL Millennium Member

Jim, Sorry you couldn't make it out we were looking for ya. I think you have a perfectly valid point, maybe we should take it on ourselves to make a few maps up and get them into gunshops around our towns. I would be willing to do so. The alternative seems to be a diminishing attendance and possibly cancellation of the match.

16. ace007

ace007

I have to think also that the low attendance is partially due to the location of the Greeley match. When we went up on the Friday before we tried following the very bad map posted on the clubs website which took us through the town of Greeley and the trip almost took 2 hours. On the next day for the match we found a easier way and it took an hour and a half. While those of us that are dedicated don't mind driving that far (at least not every once in a while) it is quite a ways away and there needs to be better directions.

I also agree that most matches like this (not just GSSF) are poorly advertised. We found out about the match from the results@popper.calibration.com mailing list and could not really get much other info until I found this site and then the official GSSF site.

I've also talked to many shooters who I've met at local ranges that I've asked if they have ever competed. The most usualy response is that I'm not good enough. There is such a stigma that only the pros compete and there is not place for beginners which is course we know is not true.

I think that is an advantage for GSSF of IDPA/IPSC in that they cater a little to beginners.

Rob

17. rtr

rtr Glockaholic

The map on the GSSF website I found very useful and had no problem getting to the match. While the range is kind of in the middle of nowhere it's not that far from Denver or Ft. Collins.

For next year I think each of us should take it upon ourselves to print up some flyers about that match and take them to our local gunshop and ask that they post them, and also tell everyone you see at the range about it in the months leading up to it.

The reason this was my first match is that it was easy to sign up for and all I had to do was show up, watch the video and compete. The other shooting things I have inquired about required me to take separate safety classes etc. and they didn't seem that friendly to beginners.

18. FireCop-G19

FireCop-G19

A small part of the problem may be in that the range is actually in Gailton, and not Greely. Heading towards Greel will have you driving farther away.

19. jim c

jim c Millennium Member

for getting there if you do not know the area,and know that greeley is in the vicinity of where the match is,you would be prone to head for greeley. one year the map listed it as being in ft collins. and that to say the least was waaaaaaaayyyyyyyy off. i have been a member of that range for almost 9yrs now. and i have had shooters there as my guest, who live around greeley, who had no idea that there was a range out there!
    we could all put out flyers about the gssf match. however (imho) without official letterhead some shooters would think that this was just some local meet and not realize it was part of a nationwide event.
    kind of drifting of topic for a minute.
    only 2 dealers are "authorized" leo dealers. and glock wants to keep it that way. dealers have expressed an interest in becoming leo dealers but have been told no. i don't know about other states but that has been the way for sometime here in colo.
    if glock was to open up a little the market hold the 2 dealers have perhaps there might be some more positive response as well as sponsership from them to push such events!
    well hopefully next year might bring about some change, and i will be there also to compete.

20. FireCop-G19

FireCop-G19

Jim - Who are the 2 dealers? Is Jensen one of them?