Great value 12 gauge pump (and still getting better)

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Nestor, Jul 18, 2019.

1. Nestor

Nestor Lean & Mean

If you or somebody you know are considering to purchase a 12 gauge pump that has a proven record, is assembled in the USA and won't break the bank...I have a hint for you.

Take a look at Maverick 88 by Mossberg. Without repeating the misinformation posted all over the place, I can tell you that the shotgun is being assembled from the parts made in the USA and Mexico in Eagle Pass, Texas. Actually it's the same facility that makes Mossberg 500 those days. It's not a coincidence BTW. Maverick 88 is in fact a bit less expensive version of this venerable, legendary pump.

Before going any farther, here is where Mossberg saves money:

- forend assembly is all polymer with the action bars pinned to it (no slide tube assembly), so to replace it, one needs to buy a whole new unit as it's impossible to take it apart. It's however perfectly functional and provides a good gripping area. Interestingly enough, lately even some of the models of Mossberg 500 are being sold with the pinned forend,
    - top of the receiver is not drilled and tapped - it's just a solid surface and features anti-glare grooves along the top,
    - safety is a cross bolt type, located in front of the trigger guard and not the tang one, so trigger guard assembly can't be interchanged with Mossberg 500, but all the other parts... sure can.

Now...it's just a basic, 12 gauge pump. However...lately Mossberg made Maverick 88 even better value than previously. How?

1. Bolt assembly used to be in the white. It's blued now and the same goes for the shell lifter.
    2. Stock used to be smooth, cheapest polymer available. Now it's the standard 500 stock with the checkering in place (LOP is 14").
    3. Recoil pad used to made out of the solid and hard rubber. Now it's ventilated, standard Mossberg 500 pad - rather soft and fully functional.

As you can see- Mossberg is still working, trying to give the buyer even more value with Maverick 88 line of shotguns. They come with the 20" barrel and 7+1 capacity (barrel is specific to that model and cannot be swapped for a hunting one. Of course you can have the standard, 18.5 barrel with 5+1 capacity that would take any Mossberg 500, standard barrel.

The best of all. You can most likely find one for under $200. I decided to go with the two barrel combo - 18.5" and 28" modified screw in choke for around $260 (US). Now, if you buying the Mossberg 500 combo - the choke is fixed. Here you can replace it with another one. IMO this is the best value on the market right now.

Thanks for your time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

gamecocks, gp23, AdamRodgers and 5 others like this.
  2. bac1023

bac1023

Very cool Nestor

Thanks for the info

Nestor likes this.

3. Berto

Berto woo woo

I had one, it was a solid shotgun.

-JCN-, Kentucky Shooter and Nestor like this.
  4. Kentucky Shooter

Kentucky Shooter NRA Life Member

Thanks for the info Nestor- sounds like a lot of gun for the money!

When it comes to a “best all around” gun, one gun that will do a little bit of everything and do it adequately or better, it’s hard to beat a modern 12 gauge shotgun with interchangeable chokes.

If heaven forbid I could only own one gun to my name, it would be a 12 gauge pump. I say that with the disclaimer I’d also want a separate rifled slug barrel. I know some would disagree with my choice, but you would be hard pressed to name another single gun that can do so many things.

Karambit777, Gray_Rider and Nestor like this.
  5. Nestor

Nestor Lean & Mean

It's "good enough" kind of a gun. I wouldn't say it's better than anything else out there, but it's very attractive proposition that will do anything a pump can do, for very little money. I know for a fact that Mossberg made it slightly better over the last two years as mentioned above. Here in Canada, we have many inexpensive Turkish shotguns available, but I prefer the proven Mossberg action.

6. unit1069

unit1069

I owned a Maverick 88 pistol grip shotgun with 18.5" barrel and it sat on the shelf for years until I installed a Knoxx Reduced Recoil adjustable pistol grip. The polymer grip/stock made it somewhat front heavy but I could shoot that gun all day long without any discomfort. The day I sold it to a friend I regretted it, and now am thinking of buying a value semi-auto shotgun.

Nestor and Kentucky Shooter like this.
  7. Overkill777

Overkill777

The Maverick is a great shotgun.

Nestor likes this.
  8. China boy

China boy

I love my Mossy 88.

Nestor likes this.
  9. Nucflash

Nucflash Sinistram delenda est

I've had a Maverick 88 for 10 years and it cycles smoother than my 590 A1. Amazingly, the price is still about the same as it was when I got mine. It's hard to beat for what you pay for it

10. Nestor

Nestor Lean & Mean

I've sold 590A1. Too heavy barrel, but I must add that it had hard recoil pad and wasn't smoother than 88. So, yes... great value here. Very nice, even blueing too.

Kentucky Shooter and Nucflash like this.
  11. wanderson

wanderson

Same, I bought an 88 years ago for $150 NIB for my dad to shoot clays, it’s had no issues.
    It’s light, easy to carry & swing around. I added the Limbsaver pad which it needed but if the new ones have the 500 pad that’s an even better deal.
    I’ve always liked the 500s as the best bang for the buck 12 ga but the 88s are 90% as good for a fraction of the price.

Actually most of the sub $200 pumps are pretty nice for the money. One of my LGS had the Iver Johnson with short & long barrel on sale for $180 new, was tempted as it would go along with my old Iver J. 12 ga single shot, which is my clay buster.

Nestor likes this.
  12. GlockFan7

GlockFan7

I have one. It was jammed when I got it (no fault of the gun). The kid that had it, needed some cash so I helped him out. I got it freed up and ran a couple of boxes of shells through it to make sure it was okay. Honestly, I don't think he'd ever fired it. It really is a great value.

Nestor likes this.
  13. jr24

jr24

Won a 88 20 gauge last fall. Seems nice, haven't shot it yet.

It appears to be a youth model, good for my small framed wife and for when my kids get old enough to gun.

Might take it grouse hunting anyway this fall, give it a shot.

Nestor and -JCN- like this.
  14. R.B. Riddick

R.B. Riddick

I have owned several Mav 88s and you cannot beat their price or quality. They simply work!!!

Nestor likes this.
  15. Nestor

Nestor Lean & Mean

Works as good as much more expensive shotguns. Ran a box of mixed shells today, some light target, some buckshots - all mixed between different manufacturers. Just to see for any, possible problems. Nothing. The wind was blowing sand pretty hard, so some shells were a bit sandy, yet Maverick 88 digested them all with no problems. That new recoil pad is very nice too. No need to change that for one of those expensive, aftermarket upgrades.
    Buy with confidence.

[​IMG]

16. VIS07

VIS07 Never, never, never give up.

Agreed. These are wonderful shotguns.