Great read on why SCOTUS not taking up the Remington case really is no big deal

Discussion in 'Political Issues' started by pipedreams, Nov 17, 2019.

1. pipedreams

pipedreams "Knowledge Speaks - Wisdom Listens,"

Cliff's Notes:

First, the case is still in litigation at the state level. SCOTUS doesn't get involved until a case goes through the entire system. So it didn't matter how right or wrong the case was. SCOTUS wasn't going to touch it at this point

Second, the case is likely to be dismissed on it's merits (or lack thereof) anyway because the prosecution has to prove that Adam Lanza saw a specific advertisement and that advertisement was what caused him to shoot up that school. So...good luck with that.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/remington-v-soto-why-everyone-should-keep-calm-and-carry-on/

2. JFrame

JFrame

Thank you for the edification. :)

motorcycleman and pipedreams like this.

3. JArthurD

JArthurD Silver Member

All true. Hope this alleviates a lot of the “Henny Penny” going on.

motorcycleman, dudel and pipedreams like this.
  4. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

I would like if the company could sue the lawyers for damages to the company name. That might help if the lawyers had to pay a few million each.

5. BigBluefish

BigBluefish

6. DAKA

DAKA

Wait a minute....LAWYERS make THE LAWS....

7. ReaPer105

ReaPer105

An article in today's paper was all about this. Everyone generally believes Remington will prevail, but the ruling lays their marketing practices wide open. Lawyers, and presumably the competition, will get a full look at their marketing practices, internal memos, plans, practices...everything. That may hurt them in the marketplace down the line.
    That seems to the the biggest harm that may come of this.

pipedreams likes this.
  8. DonD

DonD

Yep, definitely hope Remington prevails and they can countersue and bankrupt the plaintiffs.

Anyone who has seen pictures of Adam Lanza has to think Lanza is a primo example of a wimp that was bullied and ridiculed throughout his school years. Why in Hell didn't Mom get him into some serious shrink time?

Great kid, NOT, steals Mom's AR and rewards her by shooting her in the face.

CT trying hard to outstupid other lame states like CA, WA, MD, NJ and others when it comes to anti gun garbage. Don

porschedog, larry_minn and pipedreams like this.
  9. Lt. Donn

Lt. Donn PSO Survivor. currently in NW Georgia

Regardless...it will take years to wind thru the "machine"...some other "it" topic will obscure this until a decision is rendered

pipedreams likes this.
  10. pipedreams

pipedreams "Knowledge Speaks - Wisdom Listens,"

11. cheygriz

cheygriz God Bless Trump

Ya mean Alex was wrong????
    Trump and his SCOTUS really didn't sell out to the Build-a Burgers???

Buy...but...but ALEX couldn't possibly be wrong. G_D wouldn't allow Alex to be wrong!:eek:
    Would HE????:rolleyes:

12. P99er

P99er MGTOW??

Who do they have to prove that to? The judge? The jury? If they cannot prove that, is a judge going to throw it out, or are you counting on a liberal jury coming back with a no bill? There will probably be more emotion in this lawsuit than evidence or precedent.

That doesn't sound like very solid footing to me.

13. slamdunc

slamdunc JAFO

And since the scumbag shooter stole the rifle from his mother, the advertising should be moot anyway. Mental illness is what caused him to shoot up that school, so under this accountability logic, they should go after every counselor/psychiatrist/psychologist that he ever spoke with because he might have disclosed his intentions.

They should go after his mother's estate because she failed to secure her weapons, knowing that the cheese slid off this kids cracker a long time ago. They should go after the school district for failing to provide adequate security for their employees & students. They should sue the manufacturer of the vehicle that he drove to the school. I'm trying not to leave anyone out.

14. Captain Steinbrenner

Captain Steinbrenner

I pray to God that Remington counter sues the scum behind this ridiculous lawsuit and leaves them living under an I 95 underpass.
    That’s the least they deserve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. dudel

dudel

Very true, but we both know the "Henny Penny" will continue. It's what they do.

Doc McGlock likes this.
  16. UncleDave

UncleDave

I might be a bit cynical, having lived in Commienecticut all my life, but I really don't believe the Liberal pansies in this state care one iota about the law, especially how it affects anyone beyond their own pathetic little hermetically-sealed narcissistic Yuppie lives. Public sentiment here is most certainly and overwhelmingly against Remington, because everyone feels sorry for the families of the victims, and in the end it's all about feelings and wanting to be seen as caring people. There will be no stray thought about the ramifications for all corporations and advertisers should this case be ruled in favor of the plaintiffs. People in this state disgust me.

If this case was to be ruled on merit of the law, it would have been thrown out already. JMHO.

(Apologies, it's Monday morning and not enough coffee...)

motorcycleman and Cubdriver like this.
  17. jeanderson

jeanderson Making America great again! Platinum Member

I'm missing something here. Marketing is about getting people to buy your product. Adam Lanza did not buy the gun. His mother did. What influence did Remington's marketing have on this crime? Adam Lanza would have taken his mother's gun, no matter who made it.

18. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

In such a small industry with few competitors, I rather expect that the competition can deduce the Remington marketing plans because theirs are an exact image.

It's not like there is any revolutionary product coming down the pipe. Evolutionary, sure, but nothing earth shattering.

porschedog and motorcycleman like this.
  19. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Staff Member Lifetime Member

And how much is it going to cost Remington to obviously prevail in a suit that shouldn't have been allowed? They're gonna recover those costs from whom? So, yeah, no big deal; it wasn't the Courts' money anyway.

20. Captain Steinbrenner

Captain Steinbrenner

Exactly!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk