close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Great PL'ing routine.... (calling CaliJack)

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning' started by BCR, Jun 25, 2007.

1. BCR

BCR BIGASS!!!!

Hey guys!

A friend recommended this powerlifting routine to me. Its called the Standard Template. I've been doing it for a few weeks now and really like it.

Lots of variety, many record breaking chances, and its only a 4 day a week program.

Its based on Westside Barbell principles with a speed day and max effort day for the bench, squat and DL.

A spotter or power rack is highly recommended, as you will be trying to break personal records on a weekly basis. But it doesn't beat you up at all.

So please give it a read. This is by far the best routine I've seen.

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/template.htm

2. California Jack

California Jack Millennium Member

Good article Brad. Thanks. I'm still reading Rip's book. I'll try some of his stuff first. I think I'll eventually try something like what you've provided. I printed it of and have filed it.

How's it doing for you stength wise?

Jack

3. BCR

BCR BIGASS!!!!

I never thought that program would be good for me until I really thought about it. The variety is great and seems to prevent burnout.

It sounds complicated until you read it a few times and realize its actually very easy to follow.

For the 3 main lifts I honestly don't know if I've improved or not yet, I haven't tried a new PR on them in a while.

But other assistance lifts are going up.

For example:

I can now close grip bench (with a full 1 second pause on the chest) within 10lbs of my touch and go max flat bench.

And before on Romanian DL's I had about a 300lb 1RM off the floor. Now I'm doing them off a 3" box with 300lbs, and 40lbs of chain for 3-4 reps.

I think the program reminds you to get stronger since you are trying to break your PR's all the time. If that makes any sense.

On the big exercises Westside does a 2 week mini cycle, and then changes to a different one for another 2 week mini cycle.

So you're always training for the DL (for example) but never actually do a straight DL, but lifts that are very similar.

I'm going to give it a good 2 months or so and them try the 3 main lifts and see where I'm at.

4. BCR

BCR BIGASS!!!!

Oh yeah, another reason I love the program is that for me, I can hardly make any gains while only concentrating on the 3 lifts.

I just get burnt out too easily.

All sorts of cycles never make my 1RM go up either.

Some guys can do a lot of benching, DL, and squats, but I just don't make gains that way.

So for me atleast, the program is perfect.

5. California Jack

California Jack Millennium Member

COngrats man. When you max out please report back and let us know how much you've improved.

6. TurboRocket

TurboRocket

BCR,

Westside is in my backyard. I've never visited but if I did, they'd probably laugh me out of the gym.

Thanks for sharing the link. I skimmed it and looks like something I might dig into later. I just wanted to tag this thread so I can come back to it for later reading. I just cannot yo-yo until I finish my current routine, plus I have another routine in mind for the next 8-10 weeks already.

7. BCR

BCR BIGASS!!!!

will do.

Last night I did my 2nd workout of close grip bench with a pause, and got another 10lbs. So now I am doing paused close grip with the same weight that is my 1RM for touch and go flat bench.

Turbo, do keep that link. It seems to be a great program and Westside knows what they are talking about. That program is purely about strength and raising your 1RM.

8. TurboRocket

TurboRocket

That's impressive! :thumbsup: I know I couldn't do nearly that. I actually don't use the close-grip bench. Purely for curiosity's sake for now, I might have to try that one day just to see what a good working weight would be for me.

9. BCR

BCR BIGASS!!!!

I usually don't do close grip either.

The program calls for all sorts of benching; close grip, illegal wides, 2, 3, 4, and 5 board presses etc.

Westside almost always uses bands and chains on every set too.

10. DBradD

DBradD

Hey, BradCR are you planning to enter a competition any time soon? Sounds like you're really digging into this stuff.

11. BCR

BCR BIGASS!!!!

No, not at all.

My buddy is really into it and does a lot of Bench only meets (holds the NH state recond in the 181 and 198 weight class). He has a ton of Westside DVD's and is always doing research and passes it along to me.

Different types of usual cycles did absolutely nothing for my strength, so I decided to give the more indepth stuff a shot.

He's been getting great results with it too.

I'm just trying something different instead of the BB type routines I was doing.

12. DBradD

DBradD

I think BP + DL meets are a lot more fun than full PL meets. I always found myself wore out after the full ones, but I knew nothing about nutrition back then. My metcon stunk too. Now I at least have a clue about nutrition, and have ok metcon, but I'm embarrassingly weak.

That routine sounds really cool. If only we had 3-4 bodies to experiment with!