Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a handle for a Great Plains TakeDown bow and was wondering if anybody else has used one of these bow? I really didn't want another bow, but figure I would investigate this since it's an TD bow.

I was looking at starters for either 40# or 55# limbs and I'm not sure as the final length but I wanted the bow to be no longer than 60".

FWIW; I have a Bear & Martin T/D who beats to get any action aganist my preferred Bear Super Kodiak ;)

·
In The Saddle
8,343 Posts
I have a handle for a Great Plains TakeDown bow and was wondering if anybody else has used one of these bow? I really didn't want another bow, but figure I would investigate this since it's an TD bow.

I was looking at starters for either 40# or 55# limbs and I'm not sure as the final length but I wanted the bow to be no longer than 60".

FWIW; I have a Bear & Martin T/D who beats to get any action aganist my preferred Bear Super Kodiak ;)

Noway,

Great plains makes a very nice quality bow. You ought to get in touch with them and see how much the limbs for that particular riser would cost you. 62" to 64" makes a great long bow. I prefer the 62" personally. There really is nothing to gain with the 64".

http://www.greatplainsbow.com/tdlong.htm

Good luck.

CM

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I left a message with them. I think the riser is "Estacado" if I'm reading the description right on their home page.

If do populate this with limbs, I might get rid of the Martin hatfield. I could never get that thing to shoot quiet or as quiet as my bear bows :crying:

·
In The Saddle
8,343 Posts
I left a message with them. I think the riser is "Estacado" if I'm reading the description right on their home page.

If do populate this with limbs, I might get rid of the Martin hatfield. I could never get that thing to shoot quiet or as quiet as my bear bows :crying:

Well, your Hatfield is a take down, and although a good bow, I hear you, "and agree with you," that the Bear seems to shoot better, and is some what lighter in weight as well.

I started out about forty years ago with a Herters bow, then went to Bear, then to Martin, and still use (as one of my bows), a Martin Hunter, at 60#'s and 62" length. With my draw length, it shoots at about 63 1/2 #'s.

You should be able to get some very good limbs from Great Plains, for your riser. I like Bambo, personally, or a Red Elm with a Bambo core. These have excellent cast, and are tuff as nails. Great Plains makes a very good quality bow, and they really are great folks to deal with. They are in the Pampa Texas area, and have been building some very good bows.

I used to build long bows when one of my brothers had his business, some years back (he went into home building now), some were used to win archery tournaments. We did discover that the longer limbs really had no true value.

We suggested to folks that they stay with a 60", 62", 64", with the 62" really working the best. The longer limbs had to much "rcovery time," thus, some energy was wasted. 62" makes for a good length long bow. (given the limb woods are good).

Let me know what you find out on this, and I hope it all works out real good for ya. The Great Plains is a good log bow.

The best "production long bow," I have ever shot, is the Martin Savanah. I promise you, it shoots as good as some high dollar custom bows. I love the Savanah. It has vertually NO hand shock at all, and the cast is as fast as my Martin Hunter, and smooth as glass, and pretty too. ;) You might check that out, if this other deal goes south. I assure you, the Martin Savanah, has got as much going for it as most custom bows. http://www.martinarchery.com/savannah.php

Well, good luck my friend.

CM

1 - 4 of 4 Posts