Great Lube tool

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by dudel, Mar 14, 2010.

1. dudel

dudel

I try to keep the 550b lubed. The ram is easy; but the upper/lower links and ram pivot are (were) hard to do.

At Northern Tools (I'm sure it available most anywhere), I found this needle tip that screws onto a standard grease gun thread. Cost is about $3.00. From the picture, you can see that it puts out a very fine line of grease. If fits right into the little tiny holes that Dillon puts in the links and the pivot. Press the tip into the hole and give a it a shot of grease. Doesn't take much; but wow, what a difference! The 550b felt smooth before; but it's a whole different level of silky smooth now.

You can pick up a cheap little grease gun at any auto parts store for less than $10 with three tubes of moly grease that should last you a lifetime.

Thanks to C4W for the lube idea. Dripping motor oil wasn't doing it; and the syringe didn't generate the pressure.

2. robin303

robin303 Helicopter Nut

They also have those in 90 deg.

3. BK63

BK63

You should be able to get that tip at any auto parts store. It's used for grease fittings in places like U joints on driveshafts where you can't get the grease gun on the fitting.

4. unclebob

unclebob DFC, MSM, 13 Air Medals.

Another trick is too put grease fittings where all those hole are in the press. Use the threaded screw in zert fittings not the press in ones, they pop out.

5. dudel

dudel

That would be tough. The holes in question are about 1/16"

6. BigDog[RE]

BigDog[RE] NRA Member

7. unclebob

unclebob DFC, MSM, 13 Air Medals.

You drill out the holes with a Number 3 drill bit. You then tap the hole using a ¼ -28 tap. Make sure there are no burrs on the backside of the holes where the pins go. Very important. Lube all of the parts and put back together.
    I have found trying a lot of different grease. That the Valvoline Dura Blend Semi Synthetic grease works the best. The new one I’m trying now is the grease you get from the GM dealership. It seams that the press is a little smother with this grease.
    If you put grease fittings on the back of the Crank where it attaches too the Ram. The slots on each side of the ram. You have too raise that cut a little higher or the zerts fitting well not clear.
    What I have found the thinner the grease that you use the better. The two greases that I mentioned above are the only two that I have found that are thin enough that works. The grease that comes with the grease gun is too thick.

8. BHP9

BHP9

And for the guys with a 1050, look at these.

[​IMG]

Much easier than wielding a large grease gun.

9. dudel

dudel

Grease gun has pretty low recoil. :supergrin: Unless you mean a GREASE GUN.

10. BHP9

BHP9

:tongueout::rofl: