close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Great deal on a fishing rod

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by The Pontificator, Jun 5, 2003.

1. The Pontificator

The Pontificator Angry Samoan

Was over at the local hardware/sporting goods store looking through the picked-over selection of rods when I saw a rod I'd passed over before: It was a Pinnacle "Pro Power Point" 5' one-piece ultralight spinning rod. Made by Shakespeare, this rod has the same construction and warranty as Ugly Stick. The price: $20.99

AND...

Attached to the rod was a rebate coupon for ten dollars off with proof-of-purchase and UPC code.

An Ugly Stick rod for $10.99? Hell yeah! I'll bite!

2. noway

noway

"that price is about on norm" the 10dollars coupon would be of great help.I perfer for the specials that gives you immediate benefits like a free Rapala Lure or box of Line. Beats sending in a UPC code and receipt.

My favorite rods are Berkely Lighting strikes and I do have a Ugly Stick that I got on sale at BassPro shop awhile back for like $23.00.

3. striderglock

striderglock HVACR

the ugly stiks are good for catfish and bait rods and they're always cheap.

4. Esox357

Esox357

What a timely topic, I am in need of a new rod! I was fishing the other night for carp and had set my rod down for only a few seconds. I heard a splash, I turned to look, as my $15.00 dollar red Shakespear rod was stolen by a carp, it vanished into the water with only a trail of bubbles left. I sat there thinking now what? Lucky I had the flyrod and went on to fish, but there went my carp fishing for the evening. Next time I will leave the bail open. Esox357

5. striderglock

striderglock HVACR

that's happened to me a few times, but i've managed to catch the rod before it got away. it's a good idea to have it in a sturdy rod holder or open bail.

6. The Pontificator

The Pontificator Angry Samoan

Like the Ugly Stiks, the Pinnacle Pro Power Point, while durable, is also heavier. I assume this is due to the use of figerglass.

Oh, well, can't have everything.

7. XD9SW99

XD9SW99 OOoooo Allah

A few years ago, while in KS, my dad and I went to Wally World and bought a couple new Ugly Stick rods (I got a 6 foot 1 piece baitcaster, he got the 7 ft 2 piece spin rod) for Catfishing. We went to a farm pond owned by my brother's sister-in-law. My dad set his rod on a bucket, between his feet. He looked around for a split second, next thing we know, his rod is in the water, slowly being pulled away. I started to take off my shoes to give chase, but the fish took it. Next day we returned to wally's, he gets an identical rod and a new reel, and we got some BIG treble hooks and weights to drag the bottom for the rod...we get to the pond, and my nephew finds his rod, with the butt floating, in about 5 feet of water...the Ugly Sticks float! (at least the one with EVA foam grips) so I took a rowboat out and retrieved the rod. Pop still has both rods :)

I had a carp steal a rod once too. Also in KS, I was baiting my second rod, when I turned around to cast, my rod was in 2 feet of water heading out to the main part of the lake. I ran out and grabbed the rod, and also got the fish (5 lb buffalo carp)

Almost had a rod stolen by a carp the other night, but I grabbed it in time. Fish broke me off too...

Big fish love stealing fishin' rods!

8. striderglock

striderglock HVACR

why do you fish for carp? do you eat them?

9. XD9SW99

XD9SW99 OOoooo Allah

carp are the strongest fresh-water fish when it comes to fighting. They're second to none in the power-arena...most carp suck to eat, because of the environment they come from. Cold, clean water carp are good table-fare. Most carp don't live in cold, clean water...those fish do make EXCELLENT fertilizer for a garden tho!

10. Esox357

Esox357

Ditto what XD said, they are fun to catch and are my only source for a "bigger fish" to catch. They are relatively easy to catch. A can of any sweet corn whole kernel and a snell hook with a loose line and hang onto that rod. I have heard of people using anise extract in the corn for even more attractant and bigger carp. Until I get to a place that has some northern pike or trout, I will carry on catching carp and shooting them with the bow. Esox357