close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Great Dane or Mastiff?

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by Laramie In MT, Feb 12, 2005.

1. Laramie In MT

Laramie In MT

I have been doing a lot of research and I know all that is involved in caring for a big dog and I am prepared for it. What would you guys choose?

I do not have children or anything like that. I just want a big companion that will be happy to see me when I come home and that will play once in a while.

I have heard good things and bad things about most dogs. Can I get some real world advice from owners of either dog or from people who have been around these dogs? Thanks, Tyler

2. ubimow

ubimow

I love my Great Dane, he is the sweetest, silliest dog ever! And a great watch dog too.

3. bucky_925

bucky_925

You just described my bullmastiff. He is always glad to see each family member when they come home from school or work, and he enjoys short play times. The rest of the time he is content to be close to the family. The down side is slobber, some more than others depending on how droopy their jowls are. All said I never see myself being without a bully.

4. Ender

Ender ComfortablyNumb

i dunno much about the breeds...all i can say is i haven't heard many bad things about either ;)

i do know that mastiffs (particularly my friends english mastiff) are big, clumsy...and FULL OF DROOL.

this was the coolest dog...but i swear, that mother would walk by me and ruin my freshly washed jeans in one swipe.

if you can deal with that, by all means get a big dog...they are HUGE couch potatoes and VERY lovable!@

5. California Jack

California Jack Millennium Member

I agree with Bucky. Not that I have any of the aforementioned dogs, but I think that any of bull breeds are the best when it comes to companionship. Bullmastiff instead of plain ol' mastiff.

6. OSSI

OSSI Litter Kitty CLM

I have two Danes.They are great watch dogs but no problem with people accepted to come to your home. In their envirement they choose one person only to have a very special close relationship. If he choses you, you can't have a more perfect companion. You dont train him to defend you, he does it by nature.

7. ubimow

ubimow

That is SO TRUE!!! I was walking Jasper last summer around the neighborhood late one night (about 11 pm) and a man was walking towards us on the opposite side of the street. He caught my attention because he was wearing a hooded sweatshirt with the hood up. When he got about 30 yards away, he crossed the street at a diagnal and headed right towards us. I was freaking out wondering what to do and just before I was going to say "stop, and put my hand on my Glock 23, Jasper went NUTS!!! He lunged at him, barking and snarling and going crazy. He was standing on his hind feet and I had my arms wrapped around him holding him back, which took every once of strenth I had. I turned my head to see where the man was and he was running full speed down the street in the opposite direction. Jasper knows that I am his mommy and I know he would defend me to the death.
    BTW, OSSI, great looking Dane!!

8. OSSI

OSSI Litter Kitty CLM

Yours too, yours too:)
    I had a yellow one before. Once Great Danes, always Great Danes:cool: :)

9. obxemt

obxemt Chaplain of CT

Don't you want something bigger?

10. scowan007

scowan007 memberrific!!!

I know of a crate trained 7 month old boerboel that recently became available. Basically, African Mastiff. Less drooly, better hips, great family dog (protective, but not a "single person" dog.).

11. OJ

OJ Deceased Millennium Member

Most of those breeds mentioned are great pets. The larger ones need more space in the yard but also in the house and car.

I've had Mastiffs for about three decades - did show them seriously at one time but just enjoy their company now. Some drool more than others but a more serious consideration is hereditery dysplasias. We had two like that and it was heartbreaking.

The two in the avatar are 4 months old there (now 8 months old and the fawn male is 150#). The breeder that produced them is what is known as a five star breeder - she checks for all five problems - hips, elbows, eyes, heart, and thyroid problems before she breeds them. These two have three generations certified free of any problems heritable. It is worth while even for dogs not for show because, if your puppy has a dysplasia, you may be lined up for his care for the next ten years. You have a responsibility to the puppy once you take possession of him.

May cost a little more but it's worth it.

:soap:

12. modgun

modgun CLM

Saint Bernard

13. scowan007

scowan007 memberrific!!!

Another nice thing about Boerboels if you like mastiff type breeds. They haven't been overbred (yet), and so are less susceptible to the above problems. Slightly smaller than a regular Mastiff (Iggy's dad is about 150#), and are way less drooly.

14. OJ

Don't know the breed but that's a good looking dog in your avatar. This picture is several months old - they are about four months old here.

These are the smartest ones I've ever had. Their training program is under way but the day doesn't go by that they don't manage to outsmart me in some way - at least temporarily.

;z

15. johndoe25

johndoe25

I love my two Great Danes( and they are great). They will be one year on March 3rd, 2005. Porsche weighs in at about 135 pounds at 34 inches, Queenie is about 10 pounds lighter & 1 inch shorter. Photo was taken on Feb. 6th, 2005

16. johndoe25

johndoe25

Sorry, my picture was to big to send. Here it is. Queenie has the red collar & Porsche has the purple one.

17. OJ

John,
    Great looking dogs!!

;z

[​IMG]