Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not here to start a debate or a purist to say some dumb **** like spit lol, but an unbiased option from someone who’s used or uses both regularly would be helpful. I tried grease before on my glock and it was kind of messy to clean up during cleaning but the the friction/lubrication was far superior to oil. Asking because last ak I had I only put 200 round through and never cleaned before selling (a vska ) want to get something a little nicer thinking an Arsenal also want to treat it way better. Cleaning my guns is kind of therapeutic to me lol.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Nothing better than a nice lubrication argument.

Personally, I use grease on the rails of semi-automatic pistols and a light film of grease on barrel lock-up mechanisms. I will also use grease on bolt carrier rails, gas rings, and the bolt cam pin of ARs. I use various types of oil on most other areas.

I also use dry lubes, usually Hornady One-Shot on the bolt and receiver of my Ruger 10/22s, and the trigger mechanisms of those rifles and ARs.

Honestly, if you like cleaning your firearms frequently I doubt your choice of lubricant will make a big difference. Grease is pretty much oil with thickening agents added. It does have more staying power for extended shooting sessions but in cold weather it can thicken up to the point of causing malfunctions. Either oil or grease will attract and retain powder residue, grease perhaps a bit more than oil.

I have tried a good many different varieties of grease and oil and I can't say that I have seen evidence that one is greatly superior than another.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
I use Weaponshield CLP for lubrication, as it is one Liquid that stays put. I do use Balistol also, primarily to clean corrosive residue from 7n6 5.45 in my Saiga.
It does a very good job, and would be fine by itself.
But I still apply Weaponshield to the cramming surfaces of the bolt carrier and the slide rails.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Only use grease on a couple parts of my O/U shotguns. Otherwise, I've never had a problem with other lubricants on my firearms.

I'm a pretty big fan of Ballistol because it seems to do everything I need it to do. I use on many thing beyond firearms. Other than the odor, it's great stuff.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
I bought a tin of Lubriplate 130-A years ago when I used an M1A for Highpower and use it now on my AK. It works well although we rarely have temperatures lower than 20 F around here. It was inexpensive and has lasted 25 years and counting.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
I’ve been using Ballistol on everything (rifles and pistols) for several years now but recently switched over to Slip 2000 EWL. The Ballistol just wasn’t cutting it for use on AR bolts and since I started using it on the ARs, decided to use it on the AKs and pistols (Glocks). The Slip 2000 is great stuff.

On my Sig pistols though, I use a heavy grease (Brian Enos Slide Glide) which has proven to be excellent for guarding against rail wear on those P series frames.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
MacGyver
7,598 Posts
Unbiased....hahaha??? Everybody will swear by what they use is the best.

All testimonials with personal experience and opinions here - rarely any attempt at testing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ya know when you change your oil in your vehicle...the little bit of oil that takes forever to drain out of the bottle? That's what I use on everything from a rattle-trap WASR to a brand new Les Baer and everything in between.

That being said, I only use high quality oils in my vehicles. Amsoil full synthetic in my motorcycles and Mobil 1 in my car/truck.

If I have carbon crust build up in my black rifles I use an appropriate chemical. Plastic fouling in my bird gun, appropriate chemical. General bore cleaning....you get the picture.

I don't over think or over spend on gun care nor do I detail strip after every range trip. Sometimes just a q-tip of motor oil on the rails and lockup points and a boresnake soaked in clp is all it takes.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I typically use Ballistol to clean my WASR-10 rifles and have been trying Cherry Balmz black rifle balm on the rails and bolt. I like the balm because it doesn't disappear after a few weeks sitting in the safe.

·
Build the Wall
10,288 Posts
Both

·
Banned
547 Posts
Nothing can beat used motor oil.

·
28th OMS / B52H / USAF-SAC
77 Posts
My buddy was in Tuhrdistan for a while - doing some "government work". He said the locals would be hunkered around a shallow pan of old motor oil, bull****ting, smoking and wiping down their AKs with oily rags. They would take a ling strip of cloth - drag it in the oil and pull it through the barrel a few times. He said that as crappy as most of those rifles looked - he never saw one of those guys fighting a malfunction when the chips were down.

That said, a lot of guys use fully synthetic motor oil or transmission fluid - and then sparingly. A quart will last years. Same with synthetic grease in tubes. Little dab in the right spots (not many, either) and good to go. Lifetime supply in one tube. Rob Ski (AK Operators Union) has a lot of good videos on AK basics, including cleaning and lubrication.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I like Ballistol for my Glocks but, believe it or not, I like to use the Hoppes Dry Lube spray on my ARs.

A guy at the gun shop told me to try it one day. I looked at him :freak: then said, ok, I’ll try it. It leaves a nasty white residue behind, but you can wipe it down a bit. It won’t run like oil does and is perfect for a suppressed AR. I’ve gone 1500 rds through my suppressed 300blk with no issues. It’s sucks to clean, but if you use a sonic cleaner it’s not a big deal.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
With grease you just need to take a toothpick and put a very small amount on the rails on the frame, I use black lithium grease

·
M62/76
12,561 Posts
I’ve used Ballistol on everything since 2011 and don’t have any complaints.

Reactions: Steel & Wood

·
Registered
27 Posts
Since the components on an AK are sliding around (vs. rolling), grease would be indicated. I use Slip2000 or Lubriplate grease. Grease for things that slide, oil for things that roll or rotate.

In the big picture though, many AK's in other countries with conscript users are maintained with shoe laces, goat fat and spit...;) Any lube should work fine.

p.s. someone else suggested AK Operators Union youtube videos - great resource!

·
Registered
161 Posts
I usually use grease on the rails and a light coat of oil on everything else except the piston, which just gets wiped down with an old rag. The AK works just fine

You’ll be amazed at how filthy an AK can get and still work

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I usually use grease on the rails and a light coat of oil on everything else except the piston, which just gets wiped down with an old rag. The AK works just fine

You’ll be amazed at how filthy an AK can get and still work
Know a lot about how dirty they can run but I guess I forget because I never see my guns that dirty I kind of like cleaning lol.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts