Grease for Glocks?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by tccot, Aug 2, 2007.

1. tccot

tccot Guest

Does anyone here use grease on their Glocks...slide rails, outside of barrel? I've used shooter's choice high tech grease on slide rails of other semi autos before. Is it recommended to use grease on Glocks or just oil?

2. captainstormy

captainstormy

I've always wondered the same. I don't know of anyone who uses grease, and the manual says to use oil so I use oil myself.

3. tccot

tccot Guest

on 2 other guns I've had, when I used the grease, the slide seemed to operate so much smoother. I don't really see where using grease would hurt. I don't cake it on or anything. The shooters choice comes in a syringe and I squirt a small line down the rail and rack the slide some to spread it around.

4. Clayton Hufford

Clayton Hufford

5. nuparadigm

nuparadigm

In Armorers' School, they tell you to just use oil. In practice, the only place I ever use grease is to put a small dab of Brownells "Action Lube Plus" on the Connector where it is contacted by the Trigger Bar.

6. chewybaca67

chewybaca67

Sometimes I'll put a dab of grease on my guns when i know that they'll be in the safe for sometime. Then when I do use em, even after a couple of years, they'll be good to go. I like mutton grease.

7. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Glock says oil. Would you put grease in the crankcase of your automobile?

8. Rebel_James

Rebel_James

No grease, just Mobil-1.

[​IMG]

9. chewybaca67

chewybaca67

Oh yeah, I don't gob it up with grease. Just a thin film put on with a shaped pipe cleaner. Jeez, Glocks are tough, it ain't gonna do anything to it.

10. captainstormy

captainstormy

You use mobil 1 auto oil instead of actual gun oil? I'm not sure I would want to do that. Auto oil espeically high quality ones like Mobil 1 have alot of other things in them besides oil that are suppose to keep the engine cleaned out. I'm not sure what those chemicals would do to a glock.

11. duncan

duncan Lifetime Member Millennium Member

Mobil One is for your car not your guns!

As to greases, Tetra gun grease with teflon sparingly on my gun rails only. BreakFree all other places.

12. captainstormy

captainstormy

Yea, I wouldn't put grease anywhere but the rails, except maybe the trigger bar but I'm not sure about that one.

It just seems to me thou that if I tear apart my glock a week after cleaning it and look at the rails they are almost bone dry.

13. SDM

SDM

14. brass308

brass308

I read something somewhere (from Vickers I think) that the harder a lube is to put on the harder it is to come off. So, using that logic, if you can spray on a lube then it can come or wear off pretty easy. If you have to goob out an amount on a Q-tip and apply a thicker lube, the less likely it is to wear off after a few rounds.

I use a grease on my 1911s and don't worry about them a bit. Not a plastic gun you say? Well, I use it on my HK-USP45 as well, and no ill effects. My guns always work, and usually clean up pretty easy with grease. Say what you will but I subscribe to the idea of "easy on, easy off."

There's also the idea of running a gun dry, but few of us really think that's a good idea right? Well, that's probably a whole other thread on here somewhere. I'd rather run my guns wet and dirty than dry and dirty (sorry Army guys).

Cheers

15. planorick

planorick

I have 3 Glocks. I shoot as many as 3 IDPA matches a week and have put 10s of thousands of rounds through my G17 and G34. I have used Slide-Glide almost exclusively. Used sparingly, in the same locations the manual calls for oil, you will be fine as long as you keep an eye on it and clean it when it needs. Anything you but in the firearm, oil, grease, anything will collect dirt and crud. That is the part that will harm things. What ever you use, use it sparingly and keep it clean and your Glock will out last you.