Gravlox is a wonderful thing.

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by Rabid Rabbit, Feb 11, 2005.

1. Rabid Rabbit

Rabid Rabbit

My Dad introduced this to me. Simple to make, I cured 8 pounds of salmon by doubling the recipie. Next time I'll cut back on the salt by 20% and limit the cure to 48 hours insteadof 72 hours. It works well blending it in cream cheese. So far it has kept in the fridge for 14 days without any off smells, taste or anything indicating spoilage.

http://members.localnet.com/~jgeorge/salt-rec.htm

2. The Pontificator

The Pontificator Angry Samoan

I am absolutely NUTS about Gravlax!

(or Gravad Lax)

Gravlax...cream cheese...bagels.

or...

Gravlax on little pieces of black bread with onions and chilled VODKA

3. ChuckUles

ChuckUles Señor Member

I made it one Christmas party and now relatives literally ask me at the door "Did you bring the salmon?" and are crestfallen if I say no.

For a cracker I recommend with it use Kavli - very thin wafers coming in different flavors - onion the best. I think they're from Norway? Also chop purple onions, capers, lemon wedge, sweet-hot mustard from Hickory Farms, and some horseradish sauce.

People walk in the house and literally take their coats off and walk right to the kitchen island where they know it will be.

It's now my traditional contribution to the holidays along with mulled wine and venison mincemeat pie.

Gravlax is wonderful and EASY - time is the key, not prepwork. The slicing is the most labor intensive part.

Those not in the know who want the recipe 'click here' or 'here'. I wouldn't bother with the mustard sauce they also have a recipe for, just buy a sweet mustard. A little horseradish sauce is great.

Yes, I am passionate about my gravlax... :drool:

4. ChuckUles

ChuckUles Señor Member

Didn't notice that you had posted a recipe.... they're almost all the same. Must be down to perfection.;f

5. Thirties

Thirties

I'm making Gravlax for the first time, and I wonder if any of you here can guide me on how to judge when it's done.

I have about four recipes and they all are a bit different on that subject.

Here's what I did: mixed 1/2 c. sugar & 1/4 c. kosher salt.

In bottom of glass pie dish, spread one fourth of the mix, then laid half the filet, skin side down, onto the dusted glass; spread half the mix on flesh side of both the filets (local Maine farm raised); and sprinkled goodly amount of dried dill over the filets' flesh sides; made a sandwich of the fiilets, skin outside; spread remaining quarter of salt/sugar mix on skin side of top filet.

Placed second glass pie dish on top, taped two glass dishes together at the edge; placed all into 'fridge 8am Friday morning. Five hours later opened glass and poured off liquid, turned fish over keeping flesh sides together; replaced top glass and retaped. I turned the filets again last night before bed.

I didn't press the filets down with weights, as one of the books said this wasn't necessary.

It is now approaching 8am Sunday (48 hours curing). So they should be ready. Here is where I'd like your knowledge/experience on doneness. How do I tell if ready?

Anyone have any advice? Does anyone here know of a good cooking bulletin board, as good for cooking and food prep info as this one is for guns?

Thanks . . .

6. ChuckUles

ChuckUles Señor Member

There is usually a range of hours specified 48 - 72. I usually go 72. The longer you leave it, the longer it cures.

You'll know it's cured when the flesh gets firmer, not mushy like the uncooked fish. It will be a little easier to slice and will have changed color somewhat from that bright red to a sort of dark pink (? not good with colors - but the color will change some).

Also, slice off a piece and taste it - I've made it probably 20 - 30 times and haven't killed anyone yet...;)

7. Rabid Rabbit

Rabid Rabbit

I like mine with thin sliced lemon and chopped fresh dill between the two halves of salmon, I also douse it in good vodka. I have found that cutting out the dark brown piece of meat out really improves the flavor.

I now have a rason to add dill to my indor herb garden.

8. Thirties

Thirties

Tased my gravlax today: texture is excellent; flavor is too sugary. Next time I'll adjust the ratio, add raw onion, use much less dill. What I did now was to add some more kosher salt to the center of the "sandwich" and I placed it back in the 'fridge for another day of curing.

What I also need to do is taste someone else's gravlax, so I have a comparison.

Thanks for the replies. I'll let you know how it goes.

9. ChuckUles

ChuckUles Señor Member

OK Thirties

You have Private Mail

10. Thirties

Thirties

OK, folks, I let it cure another couple of days with the added salt, and I had some for lunch today. Not bad at all. I like it, for the first try.

Next time, I'm going to use a 1 to 1 sugar-salt ratio, add sliced red onions, and just a hint of dill (or none during the cure). I'll wrap the "sandwich" in cheese cloth and lay some weight on it during the curing.

I'm definitely on the way to something good here. Thanks all for your help.

Photo below is of my lunch plate today:

[​IMG]

11. ChuckUles

ChuckUles Señor Member

Looks right to me ;)

After all the messages my wife made me get some salmon (3 lbs). It finished curing yesterday. Gone tonight.

12. ChuckUles

ChuckUles Señor Member

Don't give up on the dill !!!!

13. Thirties

Thirties

Not giving up on dill, just using it after the cure.

14. scowan007

scowan007 memberrific!!!

As far as the slicing goes, I do this to slice raw beef very thin for jerky. Put in freezer for 30 min to one hour, until it JUST BEGINS to firm up. Don't let it freeze. Slices much easier.

15. Rabid Rabbit

Rabid Rabbit

How long will it keep in the fridge?

16. scowan007

scowan007 memberrific!!!

When it lets itself out, best not to eat it.;)

17. ChuckUles

ChuckUles Señor Member

Change the taste at all?

18. scowan007

scowan007 memberrific!!!

Not with beef, never done it with salmon

19. ChuckUles

ChuckUles Señor Member

Good tip - let us know how it works out when you do

20. Thirties

Thirties

I was in a bookstore Saturday killing time, and I looked up Gravlax in Mark Bitman's fish cookboob.

In it he recommends wrapping the salmon sandwich in plastic wrap, and "basting" the filets periodically during the cure.

Do you gravlaz curers geep remoistening the flesh of the curing filets with the rendered liquids. or do you pour it off during the cure?

I'm beginning to think that the liquid should be retained until the very end of the cure. Stupid of me, but when I made my first batch, I poured it off each time I turned the filets during the cure.

What are your thoughts on this?