Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone familiar with this type of mower? Not looking to buy one. Just saw a guy mowing on one and had never heard of this brand before? Any good? I assume it’s either a budget mower or a higher end commercial mower.

·
NRA Patron Life Member
13,551 Posts
A couple of years ago, my son-in-law was looking for a Zero-Turn mower for his property.

The mower shop he went to, near his home, sold Ariens and Gravely.
The shop owner said they are made by the same people, now.
One is Orange (Ariens), the other is red (Gravely).

The only other difference is the decals put on the machines and the price tag.

He bought the Ariens, due to the availability (delivered next day) and the owner gave him a 20% LEO discount.

·
Registered
8,844 Posts
I'm pondering the purchase of a zero turn, and asked for recommendations from my uncle who runs a lawn care business. Sorry but he did not mention Gravely. He did recommend Skag, Bunton, Grasshopper and Bobcat. Some of those are pretty pricey. Said to avoid Cub Cadet, that Kawasaki and Koehler engines are good, and Gator Blades are a nice accessory for both grass and leaves, but it isn't necessary.

Good luck!

·
Registered
20,955 Posts
No personal experience but Gravely are known as very heavy duty and heavy weight mowers. Not top of the line by any means but Gravely is a respected name brand. They tend to keep their stuff more simple and durable as opposed to all the latest gizmos.

/

·
Premium Member
42,132 Posts
Look into ExMark if you cut more than 1/2 acre, go with a commercial unit

Reactions: cghelton

·
INFIDEL
11,172 Posts
im looking at a gravely , have yet to pull the trigger though...compared them to some higher end models for thousands more but think they are slightly better than say a big box mower like cub cadet...though I think cub has a pro line ..the dealer is close and said he would deliver and pick it up free under warranty for any repairs …. its good enough if you ask me

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I have one. Had it for several seasons now. Very nice mower. Not a Bad Boy or Skagg, but not priced like ‘em either.

Mine is the top of the line in the regular line up.
Next series is industrial/commercial. I didn’t see enough difference in the actual mower to justify cost. Both were very heavy duty and well constructed. I/C seemed like more comfy, as in thicker seat with shock absorber kind of things underneath, and available canopies for weather protection. The blades, deck, and frame were fairly comparable, and both lines were offered with Kawasaki engines, which was a huge deal breaker for me if a machine didn’t have a Kawasaki power plant.

I’ll never go back to a lawn tractor for regular mowing. I still keep lawn tractors for pulling and such, and for my son to use in back field while I mow regular front and back yards. I mow between 4-5 1/2 acres depending how much son mows with lawn tractor.
Be safe

·
Don't Jump!
4,618 Posts
Dealer service makes a difference. Looks to see what the lawn crews in your area are running. Chances are, they have good dealer support.

Around here, the crews run Exmark (owned by Toro), Skag and Wright.

I'm shopping for a new mower too. My 22 year old Cub Cadet still runs like new but the deck is bent and parts are NLA.

·
Registered
13,221 Posts
I know nothing about zero turn mowers, but the Gravely brand has been around since the 1930's
The first Gravely garden tractor had one steel wheel and resembled a one horse plow without the horse. hqdefault.jpg
The prototype was powered by an Indian 1 cylinder dry sump engine.
It evolved into a two wheel walk behind. I have a few of those including this one that was purchased by my Dad's second cousin in 1959. I use this one to mow my 5 acre lot.

Gravely.jpg
I don't know if the newer zero turns are built as well as the 60 year old mower pictured above, but if it is even half as tough it should hold up very well

Reactions: gary_boom

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
My buddy has a Gravely and his lawn looks great after each mow, has been perfectly reliable as well. I run a spartan myself, thing is built like a tank.

·
Formerly retired EE.
14,013 Posts
I'm pondering the purchase of a zero turn, and asked for recommendations from my uncle who runs a lawn care business. Sorry but he did not mention Gravely. He did recommend Skag, Bunton, Grasshopper and Bobcat. Some of those are pretty pricey. Said to avoid Cub Cadet, that Kawasaki and Koehler engines are good, and Gator Blades are a nice accessory for both grass and leaves, but it isn't necessary.

Good luck!
My BIL swore that Walker made the best. He owned 6 of them. They were the foundation of his landscaping business.

https://www.walker.com/

All I know about mowers is I am willing to pay someone else to use them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts