close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Gratuity ideas for dealership service writer

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by tarpleyg, Nov 8, 2012.

1. tarpleyg

tarpleyg

I need some help. My mom and dad drove from Dallas to New Orleans to take a cruise. As they were pulling into NO, the alternator light came on. My dad arranged for a tow to a local dealership that was closed that Sunday. They were to deliver Monday and I'd coordinate the repair so they could be ready to go the next Sunday. To make a long story short, there have been several SNAFUs that were not the result of any actions on the part of this dealership nut the service writer I have been dealing with over the phone has gone way above and beyond her duties to help is out. I'd like to send her a little something. I'd ask my dad to take care of it but his idea of gratutiy is a firm handshake and thank you. Any ideas? I do not know this woman at all. Cash is good but not possible due to the distance. Is a gift card appropriate? Amazon, Wal- Mart, Target, etc. i intend to also call the dealership manager and let him know about her help.

2. 427

Whatever you do don't forget the techs who worked on the car - they're just as important as the service writer.

3. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Don't get too crazy. Send her a nice flower bouquet.

BTW, is she hot? I gotta ask.

4. tarpleyg

tarpleyg

While I agree, they did not perform any heroics in this case. This woman has agreed to meet with my parents on her day off amongst a number of other things she's done for us.

5. tarpleyg

tarpleyg

Don't know. It's hard to see her through the phone.

6. bmoore

bmoore

Starbucks gift card, flowers, Bevmo gift card..............something like that. Bevmo gift cards are nice cause you can write in the card "thanks for your help have a drink on me". Even if they don't drink there is tons of stuff at Bevmo they can use.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  7. BuckeyePPC

BuckeyePPC

She's a service writer. Maybe a nice pen and pencil set.

8. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

Can't you access her DL picture? :rofl:

9. Bruce M

Bruce M

:rofl::rofl:

Maybe one of the gift cards from the actual credit card companies which is sort of more like cash as it has less restrictions on at where it can be used.

10. HarleyGuy

HarleyGuy

A thank you and a hand shake is always appreciated but it is also appropriate (IMO) to "tip" somone who gives exceptional service.
    (Some employers do not allow tips, so be careful not to get anyone in trouble).

My friend and I have bought many vehicles from the same dealer and have always had them serviced there, as well as a few that were bought at other dealerships.
    Both of us have "tipped" the service write-up guys and have also bought large amounts of cookies and donuts for the entire staff during the holidays.

Sometimes a simple gift card is the best way to go.

11. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Next time get your parents one of those fancy smart phones with camera.:supergrin:

12. tarpleyg

tarpleyg

LOL they both have iPhones but they're out of the country and I'm 1000 miles away from NO.

13. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Seriously, a bouquet of flower for the nice lady. Then write a letter to the dealership's general manager extolling her virtues AND the mechanics too. You want to single her out but not to the point of ostracizing her from her colleagues.

14. Mr.Reignman

Mr.Reignman

Flowers are foolish. Once upon a time, sure why not...... nowadays everyone is keen to the basics, food, water, finances.

Gift cards a good idea. Amazon is a good thought, you can also send food ie edible arrangements or something along those lines however that also falls into that novelty grey area.

Letter of recommendation is also a great idea or even a phone call to the manager.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  15. nursetim

nursetim

Edible arraignments chocolate covered strawberries. A great gift she will enjoy. Or a chocolate dipped arraignment of fruits in case if strawberry allergy.

16. Hines57

Hines57 Simple Member

She's a woman, first and foremost. A gift is something with some thought behind it. Cash, not so great. Gift card, slightly better. Something that is a reminder, good thing. Flowers, cookies, not bad. A memento of some sort to put on her desk, good idea. Maybe have your parents pick up something from their trip.

17. jpa

jpa CLM

Agreed. Maybe ordering pizza or something to the dealership service department and having it delivered? Maybe contact the service manager and ask where they usually order from and what time would be good?

Call one of the other service writers' phone numbers and ask them. Or ask her to put the mechanic on the phone and say "just answer yes or no. Is she hot?"

Agreed a letter to the service manager, the dealership GM and the owner would go a long way.

Send her a gift card from Victoria's Secret, a disposable camera and a prepaid self-addressed padded envelope. LOL....

18. wrenrj1

wrenrj1

Sounds kinda weird. Send a letter to the GM regarding your positive experience with the dealership and her efforts to help you with your particular situation.

19. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

She's a woman. According the political commentators that means she wants an abortion. Send a donation to Planned Parenthood in her name.