Grand Theft Auto: Vice City musings

Discussion in 'The Players Club' started by fastvfr, Oct 4, 2004.

1. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Hey, everyone....

You know, I have had this game for years, but I have never even come close to finishing it. Heck, I haven't even gotten the $#@%& roadblocks off the bridges!

Still, although IMHO the gameplay simply sux from a plot viewpoint, I can't stop playing it, since it functions as an excellent means to vent my frustrations as well as my apparent antisocial impulses!

I found a few cheatcodes, such as 'seaways' (that'll let you drive a car over water, giving access to the other island); also aspirine and protectme, IIRC, to give full health and armor. I save 'cheated' games separately from the 'serious' games, BTW, since I heard of the corruptions the cheatcodes cause.

I basically drive around for an hour or so at a time, doing all sorts of psycho stunts; robberies, the obligatory carjackings, mowing down gangbangers for Big Bucks, running from the Law, and jumping everything in sight with both the Infernus and PCJ600, always seeking the elusive Unique Stunt Bonus! I think $1800 was my biggest score so far.

Yet I HATE the actual storyline you are supposed to play!! Sure, anyone can see it is supposed to be quite Tony Montana-esque, but WHEN, might I ask, did Pacino have to fly a stupid-assed, uber-fragile, clumsy-as-can-be remote control HELICOPTER around in order to advance in the damn Underworld?!

I can't seem to get more than three of those stupid bombs planted before either the time runs out or the 'copter explodes from running into walls and ceilings. And yes, I spend time killing the a-holes with hammers off before I grab the first bomb. I have practiced for dozens of hours, and I can pilot the VCN or Police choppers without any issues whatsoever; but when it comes to the Texan's second mission, where you need to set 5 charges and sabotage the building site, I never even come close. I just can't do it, nor can anyone else I have ever talked to.

I guess I thought this situation was odd enough to post about; I mean, here is this totally engrossing, free-flowing crime game that I love to play, which sports excellent physics, decent graphics (once you can get past all the pastels :~p ), ten thousand things to do in a huge urban layout, loads of secrets and pickups (including friendly HOOKERS! Booo-yaaah!), and real-world NPC interactions; yet it is a game that has such a suck-butt game play aspect that I have totally given up on the game itself.

This is also the only game in my extensive repertoire that presents such an issue. Does anyone else here feel this way about GTA: VC?

More to the point: HAS ANYONE EVER BEATEN IT?!?

Best regards,

FastVFR

2. chevrofreak

chevrofreak Senior Member

I gave up on it long ago. I still have my savegame files though if I ever get bored enough to finish it.

I think I'd rather hit myself in the head with a hammer though. I actually kinda like that....

3. VicMackey

VicMackey President

I don't want to sound like a jerk, but it only takes me a day or so to beat the whole thing. If I played straight, I could probably do it in about 6 hours. No Codes! It's really not that hard. I think my best game is about 86% complete. It's really difficult to get 100%. You have to beat the game, complete all the side missions, get all the hidden packages, complete all the rampages, lots of other stuff too. I heard that when you get 100%, though, you get bodyguards and a cool t-shirt for Tommy to wear.

4. DJL2

DJL2 Iron Sapper Millennium Member

The question is, why would you want to beat it?
    I played it for about 30 mins as was so bored/unimpressed that I have never looked back. Anyhow, my point is, games are supposed to be fun, not an endurance trial. Just keep doing what you are doing and enjoy it, no need to beat it.

5. DesertEagle

DesertEagle OH HELL MY HEAD CLM

Love the game, got the strat guide too.

Haven't gotten 100%, but I've beaten the story several times. 100% hidden packages, 100% unique stunts, all rampages (one or two of those are really hard, two of the rocket lancher ones are damn near impossible till you do them like 15 times). Haven't ever bothered with all the robberies (12 of those IIRC). Done vigilante, ambulance, pizza boy, and fire modes. Bought all properties and the associated quests for the business properties.

Even made a point to get the special vehicles. Like the bulletproof chevy from the cuban guys, and romero's hearse. Also collected both FBI vehicles, both po-po car and swat van, etc. I love doing the packages so you get the AH-64. That's just awesome. Makes vigilante EASY :) It got to where I had a ludicrous amount of money though.

I love the game, and get into the plot. But that's just me. Different strokes for different folks.

D.E.

6. pellertpale

pellertpale ReMember

It is the best game ever! The only complaint I have is you cannot do a straight backflip. You have to turn to the side first, but it still sux. I just want to go fast on the pcj600.

7. D-E-F-E-N-S-E!

D-E-F-E-N-S-E! AAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

I also was not too interested in completing the storyline missions of this game, and recently finished them. I got a FANTASTIC surprise for doing it, too. It unlocked an Apache Gunship that I can fly around and wreak havoc with. It is unbelievable. Dual missles and a minigun....blowin $#it up!

8. Glockman67

Glockman67 #29 Supporter

You do not need to collect all the hidden packages in order to fly the Apache. There is a side mission called "Brown Thunder."

Also, the RC helo mission in the UC building is not that hard. You do not need to kill the guys with the hammers; just fly over them. Plus it doesn't hurt to know what the quickest path to each trash canister sans strat guide.

gman67

9. chevrofreak

chevrofreak Senior Member

Isnt it a Cobra rather than an Apache?

10. Glockman67

Glockman67 #29 Supporter

11. DesertEagle

Don't know about the PC, but on PS2, "Brown Thunder" is the name of vigilante mode IN the Apache, which DOES have to be unlocked by finding 100% of hidden packages.

D.E.

12. Glockman67

Glockman67 #29 Supporter

I'm pretty sure for both PS2 and PC, all one has to do is dress Tommy up as a PO and drive a cop car? (just to be safe) and head over to the military base. From there, just meander thru the base until you find the helo in the back.

cheers,
    gman67

13. DesertEagle

Apache isn't there until you have 100 packages. Just like the tank isn't till you get 90, even if you go into the base. Also, it's easier just to fly another chopper into the back of the base. May have to try a few times if it spawns soldier right next to the helo, but it's much more convienant than having to get dressed up as a cop. If you do dress as a cop though, it doesn't matter what car you use.

D.E.

14. D-E-F-E-N-S-E!

D-E-F-E-N-S-E! AAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

It is not necessary to collect all 100 packages to get the Apache.
    I only have collected about 5, and that was by luck only, and I have access to the Brown Thunder mission. If you pass the game, meaning the storyline missions, the Apache appears. Damn fun, I say!
    Unfortunately, I cannot get the tank for free....I have to shoot the hell out of people to get it.

15. Glockman67

Glockman67 #29 Supporter

Thanx DEFENSE. I forgot to mention that you do have to beat the storyline game.

gman67

16. DownRiver

DownRiver

I'm not sure you even need to beat all the missions. It's been a while since I played it (beat the missions part of the game pretty quick) but I'm almost positive that the apache is there every so often. It's just that the fence encircles it. As was said earlier, you just have to land another helo next to the apache. Check the army base once in a while to see if it's there.

...also I loved the missions/story line part of GTA and GTA: Vice City.

In my opinion using strategy guides for video games is like reading instructions to put together a desk. You really don't accomplish anything but to prove you can follow simple directions. Much better to figure it out on your own.

...that being said; in V.C. it would be impossible to find all of the hidden packages, rampages, unique jums and the other things you need to get a 100% completion without a strategy guide. My buddy used his to get a complete game and to tell you the truth it was a big let down. The body guards are cool for about 2 sec. before you realize that they take way too long to figure out how to get in the car with you and it takes away the fun of fighting with people. They just beat the crap out of (or kill) anyone that you mess with for you, this takes away a really fun part of the game. You can choose not to have them with you though so it's not a bother. The tee-shirt did make me chuckle when I found a camera angle to see it.

I don't mean to critisize this game that much though. It is easily one of my all time favorites even though I hated the '80s theme. Can't wait for San Andreas!

17. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Man!!

I had a bad time last night with GTA:VC.

It crapped out my saves! And I use three separate slots for redundancy, since I have fooled around in the game for so long that I have really accumulated some good stuff.

I was playing it like I usually do, and these savegame files are holding over $30,000, and that is after buying every property in the game. I have thousands of rounds of ammo for my preferred weapons and overstuffed garages full of PCJ600's at every possible location (the garages will usually hold 4 bikes; you just have to dismount for a second to get the door to open).

Plus most Vigilante missions are beaten, and I have made beaucoup dinero driving a cab and delivering damn pizzas. I figure I'll be in good shape if I ever decide to actually play the game's storyline...

My GF wanted to do some fragging, so I saved, shut VC down, and fired up a UT2004 server.

After playing that for a while, I rebooted and shut down AVG and my LAN connection. And although GTA wouls start up normally, IT WOULD NOT START ANY OF MY GOOD SAVE GAMES!!!

It would boot my old, crappy save from just after the game starts; but the saves from 91 days in just hung on a black screen, with no sound and no response from the Esc button (though Ctrl-Alt-Del would bring the desktop and Task Manager up.)

I restared again; same response.

Rebooted twice....no change.

This morning, PC on all night...and my savegames with all the goodies started right up like it did until last night.

Now I ask you, WHAT do you suppose THAT was all about?!

Oh well. At least I didn't have to start over from scratch...

18. Glockman67

Glockman67 #29 Supporter

Obviously nothing wrong with the save game files. Probably DirectX glitch?; vid card or program brain fart? Doesn't matter, it's all good.

Next time, if g/f wants to play UT, tell her to get her own damn computer.;f

gman67

19. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Oh, trust me, Glockman67, she HAS her own PC!

For a time, before I built my sig rig, I used her POS since it was the modem PC, and we were poor so we dialled up...

Getting online with her home was like reading a newspaper in a roomful of cats!

You guessed it...she'd hear that POST beep and within seconds it was, "Honeeeey, I want to use my computerrrr!!"

Telling ya what, that gets old quick.

So I built up a proper network, assembled my PC and plugged it into the far end of it, and now I spank her good in UT and several other LAN games!

FUN!!

I have no idea what the glitch was...I'm just relieved I still have all my loot! :D

Best regards,

FastVFR

20. Glockman67

Glockman67 #29 Supporter

HEY, I dial up!

Man, is it slow....

gman67