close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

grand slam on deers

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by noway, Jun 8, 2006.

1. noway

noway

Anybody use the speer grandslams on deer and care to provide feedback on performance?

2. G36's Rule

G36's Rule Senior Member

I've used them in the past on Whitetail and Mule deer. {165gr. .308" bullet} Remington 700 SS w/24" barrel in 30-06. 30 cal hole in, not much bigger out. Not very spectacular damage on the inside.

I've since realized what I knew all along. The premium bullet craze, I know Grand Slams have been around awhile, is a marketing gimick.

I've never seen a deer that needed anything more than a standard Hornady flat base soft point to get complete penetration and massive wounding.

IMO.

3. bassman-dan

bassman-dan NRA Lifer

I'm glad that you've had good luck with your bullet of choice but there is a good reason for the "premium bullet craze".
    Some 20-25 years ago, bullet failures, core seperations, and all kinds of bizarre behavior was all too common from many brand-name cartridges.
    I got into reloading after experiencing poor accuracy and performance from most of the big name brand rifle cartridges.
    There are now several brands of OTC "premium cartridges" that give me excellent results.
    I no longer have to reload to obtain an accurate round that gives good downrange performance.

4. freakshow10mm

freakshow10mm 10mm Advocate

Premium bullets are more for bigger game and not deer. For deer, you just need a decent bullet. For other game premium is better. I put a 140gr Fail Safe (7mm-08) through both shoulders of an elk at 230 yards. The bullet exited also. That is what premium bullets do.

IMO, the GS isn't a premium bullet. That would be under the decent category. When I think of premuims, I think of Fail Safe, A-Frame, Trophy Bonded Bear Claw, TRIAD, TSX. The Partition is a border line bullet. Premium in it's day, but has long been surpassed.

5. G36's Rule

G36's Rule Senior Member

Not to start a pissing contest, but I would like to make the following observation.

Having been successfully hunting the better part of 35 years and shooting deer and deer size critters with a bunch of different stuff I've come to some pretty accurate conclusions. Shooting light, fast bullets out of hunting calibers like 270 Win. or 30-06 will get you bullet blowups. Same goes for the magnums. Shooting the 100-120gr. bullets got you a flatter trajectory but very poor results on game.

The one exception was the 150gr. BTSP Sierra Gameking bullet in the 30-06. Though it is a middle weight bullet, it was explosive if pushed to 2900fps and hit anything at under 100 yards. Out at 300 if performed much better, mushrooming nicely.

I've shot big pigs with the Rem. Cor-lok bullet out of an '06 through both shoulders and got complete penetration. And that was 20 years ago. Same thing with Federal High Shok. Never seen a problem out of them.

A notorious bullet blowerupper was the 243 Win. Most guys used the 85gr. bullet which more often that not was disasterous as it was a varmit bullet not meant for larger game. The 243 got a reputation as a wounder because of it. When the 100gr. bullets were used it did a fine job on deer.

I've seen Elk shot through both shoulders with Cor-Loks with complete penetration.

As far as accuracy goes, handloading is always more accurate as far as I've seen. Even now. So we agree there.

I've tried the GS, BearClaw, A-Frame... Never seen a bit of difference in performance other than cheap old Hornady or Sierra bullets tend to be more accurate.

Just my opinion.

6. A_Swede_17_1911

A_Swede_17_1911

I think they Grand Slam bullet would work well on deer. Ive always just used remington core lockts, just was what I always used, 150 for deer and 175 for elk, with a 7mm Rem Mag

7. Alaska Bush Man

Alaska Bush Man

I too suggest a more expensive prem bullet is not needed for deer. If you are shooting a Mag.....maybe to control bullet expansion at closer range....the Nosler Accubond.....would be great in the Magnums. In the 308 and 30-06 the Sierra 165 Gameking BTHP is perfect for deer....even used them on moose and black bear here in Alaska. Little tougher than the 165 Sierra BTSP and very accurate.