close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Grand Island, NE 2012 Debriefing & Photo Thread

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by DannyR, Jun 9, 2012.

1. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Please post your stories and photos here.:wavey:

2. dking1

dking1

:shocked: one word...windy

Nice complex though! ROs were friendly, no lines, in&out in an hour.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2012

3. triggerjerker

triggerjerker

Talked to two shooters that was there today and said it was the worst crosswind they ever shot in. Their phones said 28-32 with 38 gusts. NE needs some TN hills to slow that wind down.

4. G21H30

G21H30

Windy was an under statement! While my wife was shooting the plates a gust came up and picked up the awning pulling all stakes and tie downs,lifted it up over the side berm and deposited it on the other side in the Glock M bay. Some of the D-1's on the 5 to Glock and Glock M were bent over at the middle(from the top down) or from the side from the steady winds. Despite the weather conditions the Glock Staff and all the RO's did their usual great job. It amazes me that with such a great venue and and plenty of very competent and friendly RO's that this match doesn't draw a lot more entries.The wife shot three entries and I shot five and we were done by 13.30.

5. kfox

kfox

It was fun to shoot this match. This is only the second match that my son and I have shot and it was good. It was very windy but that also kept it from being to hot. We both was able to beat our times from Hallsville last year although not as much as we would have liked. (not enough practice time) The staff and armorer was all very friendly and lots of help. I would like to be able to go again next year. We all need to thank the staff for their hard work as it would not be easy to do in the conditions they was working in.

6. cookselk

cookselk

This year only four of us made the trip, last year there were seven. A couple of the boys participated in the Warrior Dash on Saturday and didn't think they would be able to make the trip. I also had some newcomers who were eager to go but my friend's parent has a serious health condition and needs care. Family first. Hope to see them there next year, I know both my friend's son and daughter are very eager. Almost forgot to mention, we had one of our regulars go the day before with two new shooters so I guess we equaled our number from last year, and added to the number of entries with a total of 17. I'll see what we can do next year.

Very windy again today, at the end of the match my son was chasing our 27 score sheets from one end of the range to the other. Found all but one. Typical Nebraska weather started out warm, sunny and humid progressed to cloudy and then a quick shot of heat followed by cold. People were quickly putting on jackets.

RO's opened additional stages whenever there was a backup on the primary stage, which in our case, with 13 entries speeded things up immensely. They responded quickly and it was the smoothest run match I have seen in quite some time, perhaps ever.

As far as my shooting, it was pretty typical. I would shoot several stages very well and then......not so well. I Shot the M clean twice and the 5-25 clean once and even managed to shoot the 5-25 down 1 pt with the subcompact. But all my moments of Glock glory came in different classes and then I would crash and burn:faint:

I think all shot better than last year and my nephew put the first rounds through his new Glock 22 today.

Good job to Mr. Edwards, Cindy and the rest of the staff. Have a safe trip home.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2012
  7. cmzneb

cmzneb

It seems every year we have a thunderstorm overnight to deal with at Grand Island... This year it was just wind. Day one we ended up really having to stake things down.

Having enough RO's and two M and 5 to Glock stages makes a big difference for the match to flow smooth.

Broke last years attendance record, lets do it again next year and keep on growing it.

8. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Congrats to Grand Island for hosting another fine match. If we ever make another trip to Hastings, it will be coordinated to match weekend.:cool:

We know all about the Nebraska breezes that others may consider near hurricane winds.:rofl:

9. cmzneb

cmzneb

G21H30 - Nice job!!!! I bet you are happy with the results

10. G21H30

G21H30

Thanks Chris. If the scores hold up it only took me 15 years to make it to the deep end of the pool! I'll have to be a better swimmer now. Maybe we can get a Master Stock team together for Hallsville.

11. cmzneb

cmzneb

Quite possible, hopefully I can make it down to that one!