Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New member, decades of lurking. I've really never had anything worthy of commenting on, but the forum has long been a source of great information. Now however, I need to call out GrabAGun. Sadly, not in a good way.

At net it's this: On March 20th, my son, an ED doc, asked me to arrange for some protection for his home and his truck. Drug seekers have been stalking doc's for a while, and now it's really getting spooky. He took a knife off a guy just this week. So yea, I ordered a few things for him, including from GrabAGun, got my Hellcat, a few mags, a spare 12 gauge pump, a few odds and ends to him, and called it a game. The order can take months to be filled, who cares?

A few days later GrabAGun elected to cancel all sales to Illinois and other "Stay At Home" states. This despite our firearm dealers being deemed "essential". No attempt to reach my local dealer (I have the owners cell phone, I'm sure), nor any attempt to engage me.

On the face of it this is no big deal. My son's immediate need is handled, and now that everybody is in panic mode I've no particular desire to add to the madness. And in truth, I see GrabAGun reversed course after a few weeks. Weeks I hope were unpleasant for them.

By way of brief excuse, let me say it's not likely you can appreciate the stress my son is going through right now, or the helplessness I have in not being able to carry some of his load. But I can secure him, and so screw it, I stuck my neck out.

My problem? A vendor who abandons customers, even states, in times of stress and need. A fair weather only vendor. (btw, had my local dealer had access to what I wanted (Panzer BP-12) I'd have just asked him to get it and made my life simple. That's OK, he got plenty of $$'s from me, as he often does.)

Here's another thought: I've bought a fair amount of things for my other hobbies in recent days too, and vendors around the nation are working from home, struggling to ship, and dealing with the mess. I get it, and I've told them all "take your time, I care not, I'm just trying to drive revenue". To a vendor they're appreciative of the intent and the patience.

But blanket failure? Abandonment of big parts of the nation? No, I will not support that kind of behavior from a company that should be part of supporting us. More, I've held my response for a time lest I over-react. But no, that's not a worthy vendor, and all I can really do is share with the shooting community the disappointing level of committment GrabAGun has shown to us all.

With apologies for a crappy first post,

-d

·
Bird Catcher
2,762 Posts
Due to my job, I’ve had to read most of the stay at home orders East of the Mississippi, state and local. I don’t blame Grabagun for what they did as when these first came out, gun stores were not essential across the US. Some states/localities are still not considering them essential.

I’m sure Grabagun had issues with firearms getting to dealers in certain states. It’s not easy running an essential business right now and navigating every federal, state, city and county order. They’re not all using the Homeland Security memo in regards to essential business. Didn’t we see several posts on here in regards to one locality in Illinois that shut down gun stores?

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
I've bought several guns from them, most somewhat high end (over $1000) and it's always been without issue.

These are rough times for everyone. I give them the benefit of the doubt based on past experience.

·
King Doofus.
6,084 Posts
Aye. With so many gun stores closing in the shut down states, the shipping must be a nightmare. Hard for me to blame them.
I'm getting ready to order a gun (the local gun store I usually use is closed) and I'm not putting my $$ on anything until I'm sure I will get it.

·
Registered
10,905 Posts
I don’t know. A blanket policy change responding to a crisis doesn’t strike me as particularly egregious. All the more so since they changed it.

It’s not like you lost money, or got singled out. If you ordered 2 weeks later you wouldn’t have even known it ever happened.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
I have had nothing but great luck with Grabagun and will continue to use and recommend them. These are trying times especially for firearm retailers that are so understaffed they are closing their doors early around here due to being overwhelmed with sales going up several multiples of normal overnight due to panic buyers. Selling and shipping firearms is a whole different ballgame than "hobby supplies". There are plenty of states and cities, Illinois definitely being one with it's idiot governor, where their attorney generals that would love to sue out of existence firearm retailers like Grabagun with taxpayer funds for failing to follow their often quick changing laws.

·
FAHRENHEIT
7,336 Posts
These are atypical times, lots of things aren't going smoothly or they are changing abruptly with little notice. I'm not sure I'd go scorched earth on a company making spur of the moment decisions in times of uncertainty.

While I certainly understand a father wanting to do absolutely he can to help his son, maybe your son could have found time to visit a store and buy firearm or two locally? Also, the word "Illinois" doesn't give a gun vendor a warm feeling.

·
Registered
940 Posts
I wouldn't hold too much against them at this time---wait for things to get back to normal---sorry they couldn't fulfill your panic buying needs---those things should have been purchased long ago.

Now if they started price gouging, that would be another matter.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Sorry, but you are off-base here. Stay at home means stay at home. Gun dealers are no exception, whether it's your local shops or the shippers at an online shop. (And yes, I know they are "essential" businesses, but that doesn't make large congregations of people any different when they happen at a gun dealer). There were indications that the Chinese virus pandemic would go global way back in January. You could have seen the quarantine measures taken by Chinese local governments and later by governments in northern Italy and extrapolated that the same would be happening here eventually. Don't blame the retailer for your or your son's lack of preparedness. They are just coping with the situation the best way they know how.

Buds Gun Shop refuses to ship to states with stay-at-home orders, so they hold the order indefinitely and make up a BS excuse that they are unable to cancel any orders (even though they've always had a policy of being able to cancel orders that hadn't yet shipped). THAT is a failure of customer service. Grabagun refusing to ship to states with stay-at-home orders isn't great, but canceling the order is absolutely the CORRECT thing to do.

I was pleasantly surprised that a gun I bought the day before my county issued a stay-at-home order was shipped by PSA to my local dealer, and that my local dealer was remaining open to do the transfer. However, if the dealer hadn't been open or PSA had been unable to ship it due to lack of employees, I would have totally understood. I only bought it because I'd been planning to buy that particular gun for months and didn't want to have to pay inflated prices or wait even more months for it to be in stock again (and now it's out of stock everywhere). I have plenty of guns, ammo and supplies because I prepared for this eventuality beforehand. There are still lots of ways to buy guns, ammo and supplies. Buying online isn't the way to do it right now. Time to try other avenues.

·
Registered
4,931 Posts
I placed an order on March 24th with them. The only thing I see on their web site is this warning.
Processing Time is 7-14 Days To Ship - Make sure your FFL Dealer IS OPEN Prior to placing Order!
I am in FL and I expect to see my gun this coming week....

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
New member, decades of lurking. I've really never had anything worthy of commenting on, but the forum has long been a source of great information. Now however, I need to call out GrabAGun. Sadly, not in a good way.

At net it's this: On March 20th, my son, an ED doc, asked me to arrange for some protection for his home and his truck. Drug seekers have been stalking doc's for a while, and now it's really getting spooky. He took a knife off a guy just this week. So yea, I ordered a few things for him, including from GrabAGun, got my Hellcat, a few mags, a spare 12 gauge pump, a few odds and ends to him, and called it a game. The order can take months to be filled, who cares?

A few days later GrabAGun elected to cancel all sales to Illinois and other "Stay At Home" states. This despite our firearm dealers being deemed "essential". No attempt to reach my local dealer (I have the owners cell phone, I'm sure), nor any attempt to engage me.

On the face of it this is no big deal. My son's immediate need is handled, and now that everybody is in panic mode I've no particular desire to add to the madness. And in truth, I see GrabAGun reversed course after a few weeks. Weeks I hope were unpleasant for them.

By way of brief excuse, let me say it's not likely you can appreciate the stress my son is going through right now, or the helplessness I have in not being able to carry some of his load. But I can secure him, and so screw it, I stuck my neck out.

My problem? A vendor who abandons customers, even states, in times of stress and need. A fair weather only vendor. (btw, had my local dealer had access to what I wanted (Panzer BP-12) I'd have just asked him to get it and made my life simple. That's OK, he got plenty of $$'s from me, as he often does.)

Here's another thought: I've bought a fair amount of things for my other hobbies in recent days too, and vendors around the nation are working from home, struggling to ship, and dealing with the mess. I get it, and I've told them all "take your time, I care not, I'm just trying to drive revenue". To a vendor they're appreciative of the intent and the patience.

But blanket failure? Abandonment of big parts of the nation? No, I will not support that kind of behavior from a company that should be part of supporting us. More, I've held my response for a time lest I over-react. But no, that's not a worthy vendor, and all I can really do is share with the shooting community the disappointing level of committment GrabAGun has shown to us all.

With apologies for a crappy first post,

-d
Why did he wait until SHTF to try and get guns?

Why didn’t you have spare firearms to loan him?

I’m sorry if that sounds harsh, but the time to prepare is before you need to be prepared. That includes firearms training and safety training.

A gun is not a magic talisman that automatically makes you safer. It takes time to get competent and safe with it. Kudos to you for wanting to help, but help him prepare and not react.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Another satisfied GrabAGun customer here. Got a new gun from them about a month ago. I've lost count of how many I've ordered from them. Never an issue.

·
With Liberty and Justice for all.
20,894 Posts
I got one delivered to my FFL after our stay at home order was issued. They've been very good to me so I'm willing to give them a pass for operating under extraordinary circumstances.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts