GPS Tracking of employee vehicles

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by badge315, Oct 7, 2015.

1. badge315

badge315

My employer is preparing to have us all install gps trackers in our private vehicles. The device plugs into the OBDII port and collects all kinds of vehicle data in addition to tracking our physical location. As a private investigator, I can understand why they'd have a vested interest in wanting to monitor our whereabouts while on assignments; I don't like it, but I understand it. My problem is that they'll be collecting other data, such as vehicle speed, miles driven, fuel consumption, etc. Anyone who has done this job knows that it is impossible to effectively conduct mobile surveillance without violating traffic laws...and my employer knows this too. I have tried to impress upon them how much of a bad idea I think it is to collect this data, as it could be used against us individually and against the company. Further, they won't even tell us what their policies will be regarding the use of this data, such as who will have access to it, how long it will be kept, etc. And some of this data will be collected while we're off the clock as well, during commute times.

What I want to know is, do I have any recourse against this, or am I just SOL?

2. Khufu

Khufu Pharaoh

You can always find a new employer.

silentpoet and glock1911revolver like this.

3. PhotoFeller

PhotoFeller A swamp dude

Is the data collection on gas usage, speed, miles and miles/gallon an option, or is the data gathered part of the tracking device design. I wouldn't like to have my employer capturing this information on my personal automobile.

4. r3dot

r3dot

Unless they're paying for your vehicle, piss off.

tattooo and IndyGunFreak like this.
  5. MajJamesMcFarlane

MajJamesMcFarlane

6. 686Owner

686Owner NRA Life Member

Private vehicles? Mine must be malfunctioning.

Also, if my car is broken into, anyone with access to the gps info would become a suspect.

7. PBCounty

PBCounty

Unless your employer has found the first GPS system and interface to actually be usable for anything other than SOMETIMES getting a location right, then you don't have much to worry about. We've tried them from every vendor / service provider and their brother on our fleet. Details like if the vehicle is running or not, accurate speed, idle times, etc. are very unreliable. Even my own company vehicle is tagged, and I'm the only one with access to the data...it is never accurate. I will often be sitting in my office with the car parked outside yet it is still showing my vehicle across town and being driven. Once in a while some of the cars are mapped as being out in the ocean.

8. janice6

janice6

Profit and liability are fanatical drivers for a business. My guess is that you are sol.

Just realized you said private vehicles. This brings up a whole new set of issues about your "off time".

9. Hoochrunners

Hoochrunners

I would check with a lawyer. Seems like a very gray area.

byf43 likes this.
  10. badge315

badge315

I realize that, and I'm quite sure that that is the attitude of my employer, all their new age, warm and fuzzy human resources BS rhetoric to the contrary notwithstanding. But that is my least preferred option, as I am fairly well compensated for my efforts.

I believe it's user programmable as to what data it collects, but from what I've been told they have been using all of its features when testing it out.

They do, in fact, pay us a daily vehicle allowance and pay for all of our fuel.

11. 686Owner

686Owner NRA Life Member

We broker a lot of trucks and the ones that have GPS seem to work pretty good.

12. Turn4811

Turn4811

Get a pre-1996 vehicle.

Unless they are paying me big $$ for the invasion of my privacy it's not going to happen.

droidfire likes this.
  13. D-Ric902

D-Ric902

Park your car at your boss's house (and take another, obviously) when he is at work. See how long that will last.

14. snappy

snappy

On my personal vehicle? Aw hell naw.

15. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Getting a daily vehicle allowance and them paying for you vehicle, is very very different. Who's name is on the title/registration? I assume yours. If it was a company vehicle, it'd be different, but personal vehicle? Is this data still being collected even when you're not "on the clock"?

I'm thinking I'd be finding somewhere else to work pretty quickly. Also, just out of curiosity... what is their reasoning for this?

16. droidfire

droidfire

good advice

packinaglock likes this.
  17. Sigobsessed

Sigobsessed Ruggedly handsome

The company I work for has gps in all of their vehicles,including the pickup truck they supply me to drive to and from work. I have access to all the information and tracking on both my cell phone and iPad. They are very accurate for the most part and I use the iPad to monitor our truck drivers and find them to do field observations. They make it easy to sneak up on the guys and watch them covertly. If my employer wanted to put a gps in my personal vehicle I would not allow it and I am compensated very well but you have to draw the line somewhere.

18. shotgunred

shotgunred local trouble maker

learn to live with it.

19. badge315

badge315

The first thing they asked us was if everyone had a '96 or newer vehicle; I immediately knew where that was going.

Well, since my boss lives in Illinois and I live in Florida, that's not really practical.

It's my vehicle, and I'm sure I can remove the device when I'm not working. It's the commute tracking that bothers me, since I'm not paid for all of it. If I was on the clock from door to door, I'd be (slightly) less annoyed. And the reason for doing this is because we had an incident where an investigator didn't show up to the case and sent in a fabricated report.

I'm not really concerned with them sending someone out to check up on me; the nature of my work does not lend itself to evaluation by covert visual observation.

20. tattooo

tattooo

Are they paying for your car ??