close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

GPS trackers for parents/kids?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by emt1581, Jun 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

At work, probation uses EM (Electronic Monitoring) on the kids that are on house arrest. They use GPS units (larger and FAR more expensive) on the kids that are known to violate their house arrests. In either case, if they cut the bracelets, let them go dead, or intentionally break them, they do not work. Otherwise, they are pretty reliable.

I've thought about getting something similar for my kid. Not something locked to his body. But rather something he can have in a jacket or bag. Unlike the kids I work with, this would be for his own safety and my peace of mind instead of me needing to know he isn't breaking the law.

I know some cell phones have the capability to give the parents the kid's location but I'd like something other than a cell phone.

I've got experience with the big/bulky units. However, does anyone have experience with smaller units designed specifically for parents?

I looked them up on google and ebay but there are thousands of different models. Can anyone suggest a brand/model, specs to look for, etc.?

Thanks

-Emt1581

2. Rogue

Rogue X-MEN Millennium Member

Heh. In a few years we'll all have chips implanted for the safety of the children or to prove we're not terrorists or something - just wait a few more years and they'll be free! :)

That smily face means I'm kidding and not wearing a tinfoil hat. Yet.

3. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

I actually have been thinking the same thing for years. Again, no tin foil hat. But just look at where we've come in the last 10-20 yrs with cell phones and the internet? Scary what can be done with either.

-Emt1581

4. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

You know why. But why not a cell phone? You know you can lock them so child can ONLY call the numbers you program into (speed dial) and also set it up so he can only receive from those numbers. (and IIRC 911 can't be blocked)

You would not only know where he/she is but be able to ask them "What are you doing downtown?"

Plus they might not feel like they are "clients" instead of your kids....

5. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

First off, my kid just turned 1 a few months ago. He can't walk, let alone find his way to the bad part of town. :supergrin:

This is so I can make sure he is where he is supposed to be. If I check in and see he's moving rapidly towards the nearest hospital or elsewhere.... obviously I'd be in the car at that point.

Again, just looking to see if anyone has any experience with these devices?

Thanks

-Emt1581

6. Paul53

Paul53 All in all I'm just another brick in the wall.

This reminds me of parents bringing their kids into the ER and requesting we do a drug screen on them. The docs would take the parent (always one, for some reason) and talk to them about raising children and communicating with them. Then we would turn them away.

Same with the GPS. Using it as a substitute for good parents is wrong. There are programs for Android to check on the welfare and location of family members. There are times when they can be lifesaving, but good parenting is better.

7. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

I've said it, several times....this is NOT a lack of trust issue on my part towards my kid...

-Emt1581

8. jbutenhoff

jbutenhoff

If the kid is only 1 and you are already trying to find veiled ways to monitor their actions I feel bad for him/her already.

Tagging a kid with a GPS reminds me of those people who use a leash on their kids. Plain bad idea. Someday your kid will realize what you are doing and resent you for the rest of their lives. Heck, most teens would rebel just at the mention of something like this! You will turn even a good kid into a troubled kid overnight.

9. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

I was going to mention something about how I figured a kid raised like this would turn out as he grew up.

Then I realized it doesn't matter if you really make him wear a GPS, if he is being raised by the kind of person who wants to do that.

Sorry about how that's going to turn out.

10. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Cosmopolitan Bias

11. BR549

BR549 Thread Killer

If your child "turned 1 a few months ago" and cannot walk yet, maybe you should consider spending some time playing with him and helping him learn to walk instead of racking up the mileage on GT trying to learn ways to keep tabs on him and which gun to buy, which impact weapon to obtain next, etc.

(I apologize for the run-on-on-on.......:cool:)

JMO

Last edited: Jun 19, 2012
  12. devildog2067

devildog2067

Just chain him to a stake in the yard, it'll be cheaper.

13. CitizenOfDreams

CitizenOfDreams

Sad part is, the OP sees nothing wrong with shackling* a tracking device on his kid.

Sadder part is, he works in law enforcement.

And the saddest part is what people who claim to be freedom supporters are willing to do to other people "for their own good".

* Yes, I know he was not going to literally shackle it. But making the kid carry it "voluntarily" is even worse in my opinion.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2012
  14. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

Lots of folks "getting into OP's business" here. I was playing a little.

Some kids NEED a "leash" to be safe. OP is looking at means to protect his child even when he is not right there.

Example. When I was @ 15 I was working fixing fence in remote pasture. Nearest neighbor was 1/4 mile. (thru his pasture with NASTY bull) I look and see his daughter (maybe 3yrs old?) walking toward me. I go across fence and bounce claw hammer off nasty bull/make it out safely.
    I am walking around pasture to return kid when I hear yelling.
    BOTH parents were outside. She was hanging laundry on line he was working on farm machine (maybe 40' from each other) Child is playing infront of shed (kinda between them) They are talking to each other/kid and suddenly the kid is GONE.
    Bet they would have paid a grand to be able to locate her instantly. Its the OPs kid, his (and his wifes) choice.

Yes I worry someday the government will be able to know where everyone is to 5". Heck if you have a cell they can tell within a hundred feet or so.

Just thinking odds are kid is going to be in daycare. Kinda nice to know kid is there, would assume "theres a app for that" to notify him if kid leaves daycare before pickup time...

15. DScottHewitt

DScottHewitt EMT-B

This.

Why not a cellphone you can track, and that they can use to call you or those horrible polices if something goes wrong?

{TONGUE WAS IN CHEEK WHEN I SAID "HORRIBLE POLICES". THEY ARE ALWAYS HORRIBLE TO SOME. UNTIL THEY ARE THE ONES NEEDING THEM.......}

16. DScottHewitt

DScottHewitt EMT-B

Since somebody else said it first........

+87

17. DScottHewitt

DScottHewitt EMT-B

[​IMG]

You just know some of your colleagues are probably going to get to know him/her rather well?!?!?

18. DScottHewitt

DScottHewitt EMT-B

If the kid is just turning one, he needs to be in the direct sight of the OP or someone AT ALL TIMES.

Noticing the GPS "heading towards a hospital at high speed" is a parenting FAIL

Of EPIC proportions.

Cecil B. De Mille would make the movie about it EPIC proportions.......

19. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

That's what I was thinking... :upeyes:

20. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

The world is no more dangerous than it was 30-40 years ago. It only appears to be due to the inundation of media. Really... if you look at the facts it's just not that dangerous. Raise your kids to be aware and what to look for, you will have a better success rate than teaching him/her that being tracked all the time is okay. It's not. People need privacy and that needs to be respected.

Yes... I am a parent one is 15, the step-son is 7 and the youngest 5 months. I would NEVER even consider something like this. Too much acceptance for Orwellian behavior in my opinion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.