gps: garmin v. lowrance (or others)

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by punkture, Sep 17, 2007.

1. punkture

punkture

i meant to pick up a gps last year and never did. i'd like to grab one before bow season starts in a couple weeks. we hunt primarily in some fairly hilly terrain and friends' garmins tend to lose signal in the bottoms. however, there is an old, discontinued lowrance that a guy uses that hunts with us that never loses signal (im not sure of the model he has offhand). i'd like to score one for under $300 - under $200 actually - but i'd rather get my money's worth and not lose signal.

2. suckersrus

suckersrus Guest

3. MD Mountain Man

MD Mountain Man Guest

I have a Lowrance expedition c. I like it and have used it in the eastern woods during spring turkey hunting (lots of spring foliage). It has 16 channels instead of the more usual 12 which I believe gives it more potential for signals reaching it. The display is easy to read and the controls are pretty simple. I consider it essential hunting big game. If you have ever tracked a wounded deer at night then you know how easy it is to get turned around and lose your bearings.

I have also used it hunting elk in Montana and had good results with it then as well.

Another positive is the "package deal" comes with Topo maps of the entire country so you don't have to buy them all separate like Garmin makes you do.

The only downside is they don't support Macs but neither does Garmin.

I have never used a Garmin so I can't compare them from personal use. My best friend has a Garmin and wanted a backup (he hunts by himself in the boonies of Montana). After using my Lowrance for a few days, he bought a Lowrance instead of another Garmin.

4. KodiakG-22C

KodiakG-22C Guest

I have never used a Garman but I use the Lowrance H2O on my bassboat and in the woods hunting. I have never had trouble getting a signal. In fact I will pick up a signal and get a fix on my position in my house!!
    I have always used Lowrance Electronics in my boats. I love them. They have a great support system in case something ever happens.
    That’s just my .02

5. avmech

avmech NRA Benefactor Life Member

Currently running Lowrance on my boat. Used to have Garmin, but got rid of it: 3 different Garmin mapping programs, all put my location approx 200 yards east of actual location.....very comforting when running at night in narrow channels. Per Garmin, it is the way they encode the mapping software, yes they know about it, and no they are not going to do anything about it

6. GeorgiaGlockMan

GeorgiaGlockMan Aggie in Exile.

I have the Lowrance I-hunt C.

My only complaint is that I only get 8 hrs or so from a set a batteries.

Topo features in map program are nice.

The "hunt mode" is pretty sweet.

Just got back from a CO elk hunt and it sure was nice to have.

7. punkture

punkture

i think ive decided on the lowrance hunt color and the mapcreate 7 software. until i throw down the $450 for it, i'm going to try a borrowed magellan this coming weekend. thanks for the suggestions.

8. MD Mountain Man

MD Mountain Man Guest

$450 is way too high for that model in my opinion. The only difference between the Hunt C and the Expedition C are -1. camo on the Hunt C -2. 1000 more way points storage- 3. Hunting specifice waypoint icons -4. Price. The software should come with the unit in some packaging (plus package) making it cheaper. I chose the expedition C because I don't care if its camo, I didn't think I would need 1000 more waypoints and who cares (my opinion) about hunting specific icons. I ordered the exp. C from www.boatfix.com with the plus package. It was the cheapest I could find it.

I don't think you can go wrong either way. I am just trying to save you $50-$60

9. punkture

punkture

the hunt c plus is $450 on boatfix too - looks like thats the going price, although you may be right about the expedition, or for that matter the h2o color since mapcreate 7 is compatible on all the units...

10. MD Mountain Man

MD Mountain Man Guest

Lowrance's website has a compare product feature that puts all the specs side by side so you can decide which you need. Good Luck.

11. magicfire33

magicfire33 Guest

Go Garmin and never look back!

12. duffbeer

duffbeer

I bought a Garmin eTrex legend adventure pack at bass pro about six months ago and love it. Paid about $170 easy to use and fun to play with.