1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Governor Bob McDonnell Signs VA Restaurant Carry into Law: http://bit.ly/at5xFC

Governor Bob McDonnell Signs VA Restaurant Carry into Law

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Fairfax, Va. - Governor Bob McDonnell has signed into law a NRA-backed measure allowing right-to-carry permit holders to carry a concealed firearm for self-defense in restaurants, providing they do not consume alcohol. State Senator Emmett Hanger (R-24) and Delegate Todd Gilbert (R-15) were the principal sponsors of Senate Bill 334/House Bill 505.

“This is a victory for self-defense in Virginia," said Chris W. Cox, executive director of the NRA’s Institute for Legislative Action. “As headlines remind us, violent crime can happen anywhere. Law-abiding Virginia residents now have the option to carry a firearm in restaurants to defend themselves and their loved ones.”

The measure passed the State Senate in February by a margin of 22-18 and passed the House of Delegates in early March with a vote of 72-27. Virginia is the 42nd state to extend self-defense rights to permit holders in restaurants.

“The right to self-defense and the protection of loved ones in and outside the home is vital. We are pleased that Virginia passed these laws to enhance the self-defense rights of law-abiding folks in the Commonwealth,” concluded Cox. “The NRA would like to thank Governor Bob McDonnell and the lead bill sponsors, Senator Emmett Hanger and Delegate Todd Gilbert, as well as all the other legislators who supported this common-sense measure.”

Virginians can thank Governor Bob McDonnell for his Second Amendment support at (804) 786-2211 or click here to thank him via email.

This law will take effect July 1, 2010.

·
Banned
12,633 Posts
Now you need to get rid of that one gun a month thing and you're good to go.
Regards
DW

·
Registered
233 Posts
What exactly did the NRA do to push this through? Did they hold any rallies in Richmond during the legislative session? Did they set up an e-mail reflector to contact various members of the legislature urging them to vote to repeal the restaurant ban.

I don't recall seeing anyone from the NRA on Lobby Day back in January. All I recall seeing was a sea of orange stickers.

If I'm wrong about this, please correct me.

·
Registered
17,468 Posts
What exactly did the NRA do to push this through? Did they hold any rallies in Richmond during the legislative session? Did they set up an e-mail reflector to contact various members of the legislature urging them to vote to repeal the restaurant ban.

I don't recall seeing anyone from the NRA on Lobby Day back in January. All I recall seeing was a sea of orange stickers.

If I'm wrong about this, please correct me.
The bill was included in NRA-ILA e-mail alerts. VSSA, the NRA state affiliate also lobbied for it.

VCDL was the most vocal and visible on the issue.

·
Registered
4,472 Posts
Good, it is already like that here in Oregon. I have people in here with firearms all the time. Especially when the local gun forum meets for lunch. :)

·
Super Moderator
20,478 Posts
If their weapons were concealed, how did you know they were armed?

Open carry has always been permitted in Virginia.

·
Registered
4,472 Posts
If their weapons were concealed, how did you know they were armed?

Open carry has always been permitted in Virginia.
Because they are members of our local gun forum and I know them. :)

·
Registered
17,468 Posts
vafish - thank you. I was not aware that NRA had any involvement.

VCDL was much more vocal about it and I'm sure the number of people showing up for VCDL Lobby Day made a huge difference.

One thing about the NRA, for the most part on state and local issues they let the state affiliate do the lobbying/work. The state affiliate for the NRA in VA is the Virginia Sport Shooting Association or VSSA. In years past VSSA has not had very strong leadership or a lot of members. They have some new people in charge now and I hope will be taking a more active role in protecting our rights.

VCDL really filled a void that the VSSA had not been taking care of in years past. I think they were more focused on the "Sport Shooting" (and concentrating more on clay targets and rifle competitions) then on overall gun rights.

To really protect your gun rights in VA you should be a member of NRA, VSSA, and VCDL.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
All gun owners should be educated about which State politicians pulled the stunts that blocked the repeal of One Gun a Month and Castle Law legislation. A concerted effort to unseat these politicians should be made. UN-wanted posters in gun shops and shooting sports magazines.

·
Registered
85 Posts
This is such a relief, I hated how so many restaurants cringed at law-abiding citizens open carrying inside their establishments. It should be a sign of protection, but still to this day so many people don't see it like we gun owners do. At least this summer I and others will be able to carry (while not consuming alcohol) concealed inside restaurants to protect our families.

Thank You

·
Hokie Glocker
1,385 Posts
what?? OMG i can't believe this restauarant bill passed is effective law come july1. I will def be carrying again. This ban prior sort of made me stop carrying!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Remember although he has signed it it does not go in effect until JULY 1.

Yes it is certainly nice and I am thankful to all that helped/supported the change.

VCDL website has lots of good information and tracking of "firearm" related Bills.

·
Registered
534 Posts
what?? OMG i can't believe this restauarant bill passed is effective law come july1. I will def be carrying again. This ban prior sort of made me stop carrying!
Yes - and you owe me a drink! :wavey:

Originally Posted by gtrcivic...
it will fail again like the last few years... Either by the house or the Governor!

Originally Posted by Messer...
Bet you a cold adult beverage it passes!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.