close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Government silliness

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Hines57, May 31, 2012.

1. Hines57

Hines57 Simple Member

I sometimes have to get copies of police reports when i am working theft claims. Normally I call up the department and they email me a copy, no problem. Yesterday I had to contact a larger county sheriff's office about a report. The lady said they don't have email and couldn't send me one, that I had to come to their main office and pick it up in person. I told her it was way out of the way, and asked if she could mail it. She said she wasn't supposed to, but she would. But I would have to send in a self addressed stamped envelope and a nickel. She said the report cost them a nickle to print off. But I couldn't send a nickel, I had to send a check or money order. For .05

:upeyes:

2. badge315

badge315

Don't get me started. :brickwall:

3. Ohio Cop

Ohio Cop

Larger departments seem to just be like that. Behind the times I guess.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

4. pizza_pablo

pizza_pablo USN Retired

FAX maybe? :upeyes:

Although, how would one FAX a nickle back? :dunno:

:faint:

5. tarpleyg

tarpleyg

This is why the governments are in the shape they are in. They won't change with the times and the people working in these governments don't want it to change because if they became more efficient, jobs would be lost. You should try and get a CCW here in NC some time. In FL, you could do it all by mail...not here..you HAVE to take a day off and go to the Sheriff's office.

Greg

6. Breadman03

Breadman03

So, you send them a nickel money order to cover a copy, then they spend 20 minutes at $30/hour to deposit it. Wow! That sounds like spreadsheets gone wild!

7. JAMROCK

JAMROCK Working Member

This doesn't only apply to Govt. Private sector can be just as far behind. GLOCK didn't use emails until maybe last year, and only then, in the US.

8. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

My dad worked for the Air Force on some sophisticated and classified electronic equipment. He had to log every time he used a tool and they were disposed of at the end of a very short duty life. An example would be a socket had tightened a pre-determined number of bolts to a pre-determined number of inch pounds then the socket was retired.

Fine, toss out a $5 socket so you don't damage a $1,000,000 camera system. What drove him crazy was that they couldn't give the old tools to anyone else. Mechanics, maintenance, Etc. Just throw them away.

He saw tons of things like that. Throwing away supplies including office supplies because they hit their expiration date. Didn't know legal pads expired. then there was the expense of logging and disposing of everything. He couldn't just throw it in the trash. It had to be logged, tagged, inspected, locked in a secure bin and taken to the landfill under guard and buried. Someone didn't want the Soviets knowing where the USAF bought their sockets from.

And if you think a lot of those tools just went home in lunch boxes, you'er exactly right. The system was so complex and messed up that no one knew what was going on.

Last edited: May 31, 2012
  9. Texas357

Texas357 Señor Member CLM

I once had someone het a ticket, but give my information to the officer. Would have never known, because he took defensive driving online to get it dismissed, but ended up forgetting to pay some final fee, so an outstanding ticket on my record converted to an automatic guilty plea/conviction (terms of failing to complete deferred adjudication). The court had copies of the original ticket (my info, not my car, obviously someone else's signature) plus the letters allegedly written by me requesting defferred adjudication/dismissal. I had to do a foia request to get copies of the letters I had allegedly written, and they ended up redacting my personal info from them (dob, dl #, ).
    I had to show my DL, (containing that info), for the foia request and to receive the redacted letters.
    The prosecutor and judge each said they couldnt make it go away because a plea had been entered and a accepted, so failure to pay the final fee made it a default guilty plea and conviction.

Eventually they realized that they could make it go away since the prosecutor was able to retroactively waive the fee, effectively changing a verdict after the fact. Since I didn't get any tickets in the required period, deferred adjudication was satisfied and the ticket cleared from my record all the same (supposedly).

Last edited: Jun 1, 2012