Gov. Bill Lee to announce support for permitless carry legislation, broad expansion of gun rights

Discussion in 'Political Issues' started by 4Rules, Mar 6, 2020.

1. 4Rules

4Rules

Navy1964, B C, happyguy and 3 others like this.
  2. 4Rules

4Rules

Standing in a building that prohibits guns while surrounded by dozens of Republican lawmakers, Gov. Bill Lee announced Thursday plans to introduce legislation that would let Tennesseans carry handguns without first obtaining a permit while increasing penalties for illegal gun possession and thefts. "The Second Amendment's clear and concise and secures the uninfringed right of law abiding citizens to keep and bear arms," Lee said inside the Old Supreme Court chamber at the state Capitol in Nashville. "Today, I'm announcing that we will be joining 16 other states in this nation by introducing a constitutional carry law in the state of Tennessee." The initiative would allow for both open and concealed carrying of handguns for people 21 and older. The permitless carry right would also be extended to military members who are 18 to 20. Individuals with felony convictions, orders of protections against them or domestic violence convictions won't qualify for permitless carry.
    https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/politics/2020/02/27/tennessee-governor-bill-lee-permitless-carry-bill-bolster-stealing-gun-penalty/4890820002/

happyguy, FullClip and bandsaw like this.

3. Pluto57

Pluto57

While I favor permitless carry (I refuse to call it constitutional carry), I don't see how they can enforce the restrictions against "Individuals with felony convictions, orders of protections against them or domestic violence convictions..."

Quijibo likes this.
  4. bandsaw

bandsaw

And yet another reason why I'm moving to TN.

happyguy likes this.
  5. wprebeck

wprebeck Have you seen me?

Beat you here, lol.

Dude sounds like a good governor. Kentucky went to no permits this past year, a fact conveniently left out of that article. So far as I know, blood runneth not in the street. The original permit system went into effect in 1996 and 23 years later, anyone can open or conceal carry without a permit. Pretty good - be nice to see my new home state do the same.

FullClip likes this.
  6. uhlawpup

uhlawpup l'Italia s'è desta

Enforcement would be quite easy. If one of those individuals were caught with a weapon they would be tried, convicted, and incarcerated. The more convictions, the more the law would be a deterrent.

jr24 and mj9mm like this.
  7. IvanVic

IvanVic

Bill Lee has been pushing for more refugees in TN, which I care about much more than permit-less carry. That alone means he needs to be replaced. “Diversity” coupled with declining assimilation is a bigger threat to my 2A rights (and our culture in general) than having to obtain a permit to carry.

I don’t want TN turning into Minnesota.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/ne...v-bill-lee-announces-state-accept/2686574001/

pjanthony likes this.
  8. Quijibo

Quijibo King Doofus.

I agree. If an individual is too dangerous to legally carry a firearm, they should not be allowed to walk the streets free. Laws didn't prevent them from being criminals, they won't prevent them from carrying weapons. Also, very strict penalties should apply to any weapon used in a crime. Singling out firearms just perpetuates the leftist mantra that guns are evil.
    We lost our rights by giving them bits and pieces, the last thing we should be doing is compromising in new laws.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2020
  9. Bradd D

Bradd D

I wish the supposed Gunshine State would consider legislation like this.

10. FullClip

FullClip Native Mainiac CLM

I wasn't hopeful that permitless carry would make it into law when Maine's Governor Paul LePage promoted it in 2014. But it did pass despite the libs screeching that the streets would be flowing with blood. It took effect in the fall of 2015, and everything remained the same.

Quijibo likes this.
  11. FullClip

FullClip Native Mainiac CLM

Pretty much the same way they enforce it now??

12. Gundude

Gundude

With permitted carry, how do they enforce restrictions against unpermitted carry? They'd enforce this the same way.

13. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

Criminals seem to attract the intense attention of the Police. It’s like they can’t help it. While I might disagree with the restrictions. At present felony convictions, protection orders, DV convictions currently cancel your 2nd amendment rights.

I hate myself for saying this. But a carry permit is mostly a good thing. In most states it shows a number of things to law enforcement. This person did the little bit to follow the law, at that time there were no restrictions on him/her. (So unlikely now) it shows they could load, fire (in general direction of backstop) unload, case without shooting anyone. They were at least told, given reading materials of laws, that shooting over parking space not legal.. 2nd ID.
    IMO DV is raised too often when it doesn’t exist, is mutual non physical yelling. 5 yrs, no issues, unless real reason proven. Rights restored. Same for non violent felonies.
    For ease of LEO. I think permits to carry are good. But would hate CA others that require you only carry exact serial # of gun on permit.
    I wish states would get laws similar. MN go into bar, eat lunch, have a drink is legal. Long as my BAC under .04. Other states that I’m legal I am breaking the law going inside....

14. Pluto57

Pluto57

I guess that's true, although I'd think it would be easier to have someone show a permit rather than having to run a check to see if he/she falls into one of the groups of people who are prohibited. It probably isn't that big of an issue in the overall scheme of things though. Plenty of places have had some type of unpermitted carry for a long time without it being an issue.

15. nikerret

nikerret Mr. Awesome

Kansas has had permitless carry, for years. Strangely, there have not been any widely reported problems. As a member of LE, I have heard of no issues.

wprebeck likes this.
  16. Pluto57

Pluto57

I guess my question would be how you would know if he or she was one of those individuals unless they actually committed a crime and a gun was found during the course of the arrest? It is easy to say they are prohibited but there really isn't a mechanism to prevent it. But there wasn't any mechanism to prevent those same folks from carrying without a permit either, other than fear of being caught. In the end, I guess permitless carry really doesn't change much from the standpoint of keeping prohibited people from carrying.

17. Pluto57

Pluto57

I think the odds are pretty low. Florida won't even pass open carry. Kind of sad since we were one of the first states to have "shall issue" permits. Now we're behind so many other states.

18. uhlawpup

uhlawpup l'Italia s'è desta

Just run their ID through records and information. If they’re prohibited, it will show up fast. The evidentiary burden for checking identification is quite low.

19. doktarZues

doktarZues

Plan on retiring in TN. A few more years!