close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Gougers, leaches, ticks, and just plain old parasites

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by firemax, Feb 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fg17

fg17

Not sure about price gouging, and I understand free market, supply and demand ect. ect...But it does suck when I see the local Ma&Pa gun shop that I have supported for years send people to walmart to buy all the ammo they can and then mark it up by 30%. It also sucks seeing gun prices go up as fast as house values went down.
    Gun owners are to blam to. I have a relative who has not fired a gun in 10 years. He is so paranoid about the big bad goverment and the imaginary black helicopters that in the last couple of months he has bought many guns and thousands of rounds of ammo. The guns will just rust in his basement and he will never fire the ammo. Mean while I have to worry that I can get enough ammo to shoot at my weekly pistol league. I actually shoot my guns and not just buy them because Im afraid of somthing. People can spend there money on what they want, but this situation still is a pain for real firearm enthusiasts.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
  2. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Cosmopolitan Bias

They're doing gun owners a favor. Wal Mart won't price it appropriately so their shelves will be bare. The LGS will mark it up so some will be available and it likely won't all wind up in someone's closet.

I stumbled on some 556, 308 today at Academy. 1 box of each limit. I bought some because it was there but really, what the hell am I gonna do with 20 more rds of 556? Its hardly enough to make it worth going to the range.

3. FloorPoor

FloorPoor

A friend of mine works at a sporting goods store. About a month ago a couple guys came in to the store and spent $1000 on 7.62x39, bought every bit of. The next day they went to a gunshow, and tripled their money. I would bet at least some people went to that store before going to the gun show, and seeing ALL the ammo gone, panicked and paid 3x the price just to have some on hand.

Another friend of mine owns a small GS. He sold an AR to a (he thought) friend and loyal customer for msrp, about $700. He's an honest guy, and even with the scare going on, he didn't mark up his AR's. Two days later he sees the guy who just bought the AR, selling it at the same gun show for $1,600. Not only did the guy act dishonestly toward his friend the GS owner,(he told him he always wanted one and bla bla bla), but I'm pretty sure what he did could be considered a straw sell.

Are these two examples gouging? Or the free market at work? I think creating a shortage by hoarding all the supply, and then selling it a 100-300% markup is blatantly dishonest.

The only LGS in my area with .223 ammo in stock has 20rd boxes marked a $25. Their prices were too high before the "crisis", but they really showed their true colors lately. They also pulled all the extra mags out of the boxes of new and used pistols and are trying to sell them at $40+ dollars each. I think that trying to take advantage of the crisis by doubling and tripling the price of your inventory, and stealing mags out of new gun boxes to sell separately is very dishonest. I will never spend a dime at this store

There is nothing wrong with making an honest profit, but dishonesty and greed are the root of a very many problems in our current culture.

But I guess in a free market economy I can tell these types of people to stuff it, because I had the sense to keep a modest supply of ammo on hand.

4. Kuroineko

Kuroineko

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2y8Sx4B2Sk"]You keep using that word. - YouTube[/ame]

5. MySiK26

MySiK26 ******

Rights and responsibilities have the same weight in my book, as well as a few other things. You, sir, are an en-titlist, by your own words. You may not agree with the title, but you are the definition of one, by your beliefs. I disagree with you you in every way, but I guess we're all entitled to our opinions, aren't we?

6. certifiedfunds

In the first two examples had the stores priced their products appropriately from the beginning, all that other crap would have been avoided and the profit would be in the hands of the merchants who have employees to pay and no more inventory to sell.

And you're wrong about greed. I suggest when you go to work on Monday you should insist that your employer reduce your wages.

7. certifiedfunds

What is dishonest about selling a product at a price a consumer agrees to?

:rofl: YOU are hoarding supply. You have more than you need. I demand you not be greedy and unethical and sell me some of your ammo for what you paid for it.

8. TX OMFS

TX OMFS Right wing nut Lifetime Member

I thought we were maybe being a little harsh on the OP, him being new around here and all, but then he came back for more.

:brickwall: :poke:

9. 427

What's wrong with that? People do that all the time with products other than guns and ammo.

Maybe they did maybe they didn't. Who knows.

He sold the firearm. What the guy does after the sale isn't your friends concern or problem.

If he did in fact commit a crime, maybe you should report him for illegal activity. Just make sure you have proof.

No.

Free market. Buyers willingly paying the seller's price.

If you say so.

Very good! No one is forcing you to spend your money anywhere.

Please define an "honest" profit.

If you say so.

You are being greedy by hoarding your ammo! :whistling:

10. G23c

G23c

we need a system of "gouger credits", that offset gouging based on selling firearms-related products below market rates. we can then commoditize the anti-gouger credits (AGC) and package them to sell on the secondary market and then create the futures market, not for speculation, but for "risk management".

11. firemax

firemax

Wow. Not too bad for my first post. I'm sure it will be over 7 pages. I like it here.

12. legalsten

legalsten

It is a matter of supply and demand . I sold 12 guns on Gun Broker last month. started all of them at what I had in them and said that in the ad . Some still brought double what I had in them. I don't feel as if I gouged anyone.

I bought them to make money on and decided the time was right to sell . If they just have to have it, and they have the money , sell it to them. We are not talking about food or something you must have in order to just stay alive.

I don't even look at the crazy priced items . Most don't sell anyway. But how am I to know what an item is really selling for at any current point in time. That is why I chose to put it where it could be bid on. I also sold one rifle for 635.00 that I have watched them for the last 6 months and none of them went for under 800 . I watched 2 sell in the weeks prior with 1 over 1200 and 1 just over 1000. I still made a little on it but the bidders decided what it would sell for.

I have always said anything is only worth what you can get out of it when you are ready to sell it.

Would you give the guy 600.00 for a 1000.00 item , because he was in a hurt for cash and brag about what a good deal you got ? Or say , its worth more , let me pay you what it is worth ?

13. kahoys

kahoys

Is it gouging and way over priced like gold, or does the masses and markets set the price? Hum.

14. firemax

firemax

This is called deception. I agree almost totally with the definition. In the rush to "fit in" and join in the bashing, you may have forgot to read what I actually said. I was talking about greed. I was talking about one's own accountability for their greedy actions. There are obviously a few who fit the proverbial shoe. They twisted what I said. Go back and read. If you want to sell something for a high price you are free to do so. I would never want that freedom to change, It is when an individual, goes out and buys up all the ammo, loading supplies, mags, etc. making them scarce and at the same time driving the prices up for everyone then sells them for an unreasonable price. I have no use for someone like that. I never mentioned anything about a business or a supplier buying to stock their shelves. They provide a service and compete in the market. That is the difference. Also, i said someone who cares nothing at all for others, is a parasite. I still stand by that. These are the people ruining this country. If it is taking advantage of the 49%of those who work and pay taxes so they can live off of others or gougers. Both are the same in my opinion. Both take advantage of others. For those of you who seem to have trouble reading and comprehending what I just said. To the smart ***** who Is the grammar/typing skills police. I got my point across. Even though I used one paragraph to do it. If you don't like it don't read it. i was wise enough to make it without you so far.

15. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

Actually, what happened is a newbie came in and started telling folks how it was, and got his butt handed to him. Simple as that and no further elaboration needed. GT is very forgiving of this sort of thing, Max, and if you'd just let it go everyone else would.

It's your move now.

16. Illini_Glock

Illini_Glock USAF Veteran

Gouging was the nice c-store owners around New Orleans who raised their gas prices to around $6 a gallon as Katrina was moving towards the city and people were evacuating and needing the fuel. What is going on now is simply economics. Sprinkle that with a bit of paranoia and there is a recipe for lists being made.

Interesting group. Who's got a bunker?

17. moreammoplz

moreammoplz

You don't have to pay higher prices. Save your money prices should come down when the credit card bills come in or the people paying crazy prices. :). :).

18. certifiedfunds

First off, that isn't gouging either.

Second, I was there and didn't see what you're describing.

19. Atlas

Atlas transmogrifier

You are contradicting yourself.

20. certifiedfunds

Yeah well its become apparent that you aren't bright enough to practice deception.

Hit the enter key from time to time.

The beauty of the free market is that no one has to care about anyone else but everyone gets their needs met. So its apparent you still don't know what you're talking about, komrade.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.