close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Gougers, leaches, ticks, and just plain old parasites

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by firemax, Feb 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peace Warrior

Peace Warrior Am Yisrael Chai CLM

If you need to post my walmart and strawberry story, just say the word.

:tongueout: I keed, I keed! :wavey:

2. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

How is that even possible?

The definition of "what they're worth" is "whatever someone will pay for them" so they're selling for exactly what they're worth.

Shame you don't understand that.

3. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

Really? You join a forum and immediately start preaching to the established membership about this sort of thing? That's just strange.

Welcome to GT. I recommend a six month lurk...

4. exmdshooter

exmdshooter WWJMBD?

Free markets set their own prices - as has been said, the "worth" or "value" of a good is determined by what the buyer is freely willing to pay and what the seller is freely willing to take. If you think something is priced too high, don't buy it. If everyone feels the same way the item won't sell and the seller will be forced to lower his asking price. That's how free markets work.

You gotta love "fair weather conservatives" who are all about the law of supply and demand... until demand outstrips supply and prices react accordingly.

5. JohnBT

JohnBT NRA Benefactor

The Hunt brothers didn't go to jail for gouging, it was for manipulating the silver market in the '70s. By '79 they owned about 100 million ounces of silver and made about 3 billion dollars. They were caught, but it wasn't gouging.

They came close to cornering the silver market, but didn't. Those were the days - $50/ounce for silver. A good state job requiring a couple of degrees only started out paying $9600/yr.

John

6. grg3d

grg3d

Hi Guys and Gals, So……price gouging…..well here’s my view on it.

Just recently I went to a gun show and needed some money so I thought I’d bring a few mags - 5 Pmags, 2 Glock 33rd’s and 2 Glock 17rd’s mags I also brought a spam can of 7.62x 54R and 300 rounds of .45’s to sell as I wanted to purchase some SKS stripper clips & a couple of Tapco 20round mags.

At the gun show there were other Metal AR 15 mags for $40.00 each and no one had any Glock mags for sale unless you count the Korean mags that were selling for $45.00 each(17rds) or $85.00 for the 33rdrs' :faint:

So I sat at the concession stand were you eat your food with a sign “For Sale” with no price on it.

Well it was like chumming for sharks (took 15 minutes to sell out) and this is what I was offered with no counter offers :wow:
    • Pmags = $50.00 ea
    • Glock 9mm 33 rounders = $100.00 ea
    • Glock 9mm 17 rounders = $50.00ea
    • 440 rounds 7.62x 54R = $100.00
    • 300 rounds of .45’s = $25.00 ea (Blazer Aluminum case)
    I walked out of the show with $850.00 in cash plus paid for my gas, enterance fee and the items I wanted
    However I still paid for the Tapco mag "I" wanted for $50.00 and in the whole gun show I could only find 2 at that price
    (they used to be $15.99 before) everything was marked up 100% to 200% and the only thing that I saw people buying was ammo….223 or 5.56 were a buck a round and hand gun ammo was 10 to 20 dollars over what it was selling 3 months ago.

So do I feel like I was “price gouging?”

No they offered me money for things “they” wanted for a price “they” were willing to pay....just as I did.

The only thing I feel bad about is I sold some items I might not be able to replace in the future but that’s ok as I have been stocking up for 4 years now and still have everything I need.

7. F_G

F_G

I don't think you have a clue how the free marketplace operates. Furthermore you're extolling the very virtues of the people currently trying to take our freedoms away. You would probably flourish in an entitlement atmosphere where everyone "owes" you something at what you consider a "fair" price.

8. Disintegr8or

Disintegr8or

Pssst OP, your communism is showing.

There is no such thing as price gouging. People will pay what they feel is true market value at the time of purchase. If they don't sellers will lower their prices.

9. Lampshade

Lampshade

Coulda fooled me.

10. devildog2067

devildog2067

Luckily for everyone, markets don't care what values are *to you*.

Market value is defined to be the price people will pay. There literally cannot be any other definition.

I'm not going to buy PMags for $50 a pop either, but I don't whine about how it's "not market value." People are paying it. It's market value. It's not the fault of the sellers, it's the fault of the buyers.

11. geofri

geofri Poikilotherm™ Lifetime Member

How self entitled are you?

12. Cybercowboy

Cybercowboy Support the 2nd

Think of it this way. A 17-round Glock mag and a 30-round PMAG are roughly worth the same amount of "money" currently. You can easily trade like-for-like right now. It's only when you try to use currency to purchase these scarce items that you realize that the price has gone up. It may go back down, but why are these items scarce now? Well, people have a perception that they will be made illegal soon. It's a distinct possibility. It drives prices up. However, you can still trade like-for-like.

13. firemax

firemax

OOps!!! did i not pass your seniority test. 4m's are for free discussion. If that is strange as you put it, try Mexico or Russia, you will fit right in.

14. Knighj1

Knighj1

I sold 3 glock 19 mags(basically brand new) for 100 shipped, I did not think I was gouging at all

15. lavon_andy

lavon_andy

Cheaper than dirt (i think thats where I saw it) has a 33rd glock mag for $185.

Yeah, they aren't getting my business in the future.

That's all I wanted to say.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

16. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

No, man, there's no seniority test. It's just that had you read this forum for a while you would have seen that most of us are free market oriented and that your post would elicit the kind of response that it did.

And you're right, it is a free discussion, and most of the discussion disagrees with you. :supergrin:

I've been to Mexico, btw, and I fit in pretty well. I'd probably be OK in Russia, too. Are you offering to pay my way?

17. skinny99

skinny99 Crew Chief

Greed is good. Capitalism is the cornerstone of America. There is no sympathy or mercy in business. This is not gouging, it is profit. What someone pays for an item has no bearing on what it should be sold for.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8y6DJAeolo"]Gordon Gekko 'Greed is Good' Trade like a Pro - YouTube[/ame]

18. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

Out of all the disagreement posts, the OP chose the "seniority test" as the one to whine about.

Oy!

19. Bruce H

Bruce H

Besides trolling for idiots is a time honored business practice. If someone wants to give an outrageous price for an item compaired to what the owner thinks it is worth, well take his money. Especally an item that can be manufactured in large numbers to take advantage of said situations.

20. firemax

firemax

I'm an officer on the board at our sportsmen's club. When I shared that statement with them they all laughed. I am not in any way an entitlement supporter. For 30 years I bought and sold houses, rented houses, and remodeled houses and retired at age 54. Before that, I worked in a factory as a laborer for 2 years. I never received an entitlement in my life. As for your harsh judgmental statement about me, it comes from the same place your ideals come from: Your own mind. Which by the way needs no basis for the truth, as long as you believe it. As far as government trying to take our freedoms away, try to start a business, you will learn that they already have. If you work for someone else that may be a hard concept to understand.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.