Gotta Vent

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by plp, Oct 29, 2015.

1. plp

plp

Really?

Is it that hard, to figure out how to set up microphones, amps, and monitors? Is feedback considered a form of artistic expression?

We as a band spend 6 hours a week rehearsing. We have a playlist of over a hundred songs gig ready, and another 20 we are working on. We sound balanced and even in rehearsal, everyone tweaks their amps down as we are in a small building and can overwhelm ourselves easily.

We get in performance, and spend 45 minutes on the mic check and sound check. Everything sounds decent, so we take a break, then are ready on the downbeat of whatever time we contracted for. It is all good until about the 4th song, then begins the death spiral.

Somebody feels like they can't hear themselves, so they crank up their amp a notch. That affects someone else, so they crank up. Then everyone else feels like they are not being heard, so they crank up. Tonight our sound guy told us after about the 8th song, he had the mains and monitors dead, that all the audience heard was the amps.

The horns aren't micced, as we don't need it. Matter of fact, we play about half in the stands to cut our volume, so we don't overwhelm and bleed into everyone else's mics.

Tonight 4 different groups sat down at the nearest table to us, and had to move because it was so loud.

After putting in so much effort to get everything right, it just kills my soul when our biggest problems are self inflicted.

2. jame

jame I don't even know....what I'm doing here....

Don't you guys have ear pieces or anything to allow musicians to hear themselves, plp?

I'm not a musician by any means, but as a drummer in HS, some of us would put cotton in our ears as we played cadences to reduce drowning ourselves out.

Is that sorta the same thing?

3. plp

plp

In ear monitors were suggested many times, by people that play music as their sole source of income. Some members of the band are offended by the very suggestion, in that someone might mistake it for a hearing aid.

The average age of our band is probably 60, so you have a lot of folks that don't want to admit they may not be all they were at 16. Lots of type A's, and about half are adrenaline junkies as well.

4. BobbyS

BobbyS Truth always sounds like lies to a sinner

Damn, so that's what's goin' on! Sh!t-hell, later in the night at a bar after a few drinks I thought my hearing was getting way better.

5. Bill Keith

Bill Keith

I feel your pain! Literally. I enjoy live music but there are very few clubs I care to go to because of the very thing PLP is opining about. I am 63 but still have excellent hearing and have it checked every couple of years by an audiologist. I don't intend to blow out my eardrums with bands that equate loudness with quality. The soundman runs the board, the musicians keep their dang hands off the amp switches! Next show, have the sound guy dub a tape and play it back so the loud guys hear how crappy they sound with the feedback and pushing the speakers past their range.

6. moeman

moeman

Curious, what genre does your band play?

7. Rizzo

Rizzo Garbage Day!

I saw the word "horns" and this was the first song that I thought of:

I have a feeling, based on avatar, that PLP is somewhat more dignified in his stage appearance, though. :)

8. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

Simple solution. . . . .

Pull the knobs off the amps after you get it all dialed in. If they want louder, the sound guy can get it louder. But no imbalance.

9. Joe!

Joe! one two three get loose now

Guitarists. :fist:

10. airmotive

airmotive Tin Kicker

My buddy had a band in college; I forget the name.
    I do remember their posters though. Their tag line was "(band name). We're Loud....and that's about it."

11. Lazy R

Lazy R

Have your sound guy grow a pair and convince your guitarist to keep his stuff in check (they are always the first to turn up). Best thing is to put the guitar amp in a small sound enclosure to mic it, giving the sound man control over the mix.

On stage it is best to have as little ambient amp and monitor sound as possible so your mix in the mains is clean and not conflicting with other sounds bouncing around the room.

I like in-ears but it's hard to get some guys to do it as they don't get the "feel" of the live room sound.

The guys who start turning up need to know they're screwing the gig; if they can't hear themselves it's a monitor issue that the sound guy adjusts. Hands off the knobs, ya knobs.

Joe! likes this.