Gotta Love the Cannon Ball Run

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by wrenrj1, May 24, 2020.

1. wrenrj1

wrenrj1

pntblnk, flyover and Upgrayedd like this.
  2. Budqweiser

Budqweiser

3. B C

B C

It really was a perfect time to do it and they'll never get that chance to have empty roads like that again. Amazing they did it in a R8. Not much room for extra fuel cells.

Edit: The article just says 8, I's going to guess they used a S8, not a R8.

Last edited: May 24, 2020
    nrajeff likes this.
  4. ruffhunter

ruffhunter

5. sciolist

sciolist On the Border

So... post your time?

6. Slotback

Slotback Glock 35 Millennium Member

...there goes the National Transportation Safety Board entry.....

Batesmotel likes this.
  7. shadowgunner9

shadowgunner9 This used to be AMERICA........

The record busted SEVEN TIMES!!!
    I read about the "latest" about a couple months ago. Now, another best.
    Of course, how does one verify this... without worrying about "consequences"?
    What is the statute of limitations on these speed infractions? The last team I read about said they were waiting a while to come out.

8. walke121

walke121

It was an A8L for more room in the car for the passengers and a bigger trunk. Ive seen the car in a video a week or two ago. I think the actual rin was in early April. Put extra gas tanks in the trunk for a capacity of almost 70 gallons. All of the past cars used have been large sedans mostly from Mercedes, Audi, and BMW. Off the top of my head I know that an E63 and a CL55 has been used a few times. Doing it in a sports car would be difficult as most times there are 3-4 people and you just can’t get the 900-1000 mile range you need to only have to stop for fuel 2-3x. Back in the 80s and 90’s when people were going for the record all the time lots of people used Hype cars of the day.

Richard Rawlings from the TV show and owner of Gas Monkey Garage did it in a Ferrari 550 Maranello with extra fuel tanks in the late 2000’s but they took like 32 hours and missed the record by several hours. These runs avg over 100 mph over the trip but on the road they are running 130-150 mph pretty much constantly. During the record that was just broken the MB E 63 averaged 103 mph and top speed reached was 193 mph so these guys really get on it.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B C and shadowgunner9 like this.
  9. shadowgunner9

I remember a Car and Driver article from about 1984- ish, 2 guys were sponsored by them and outfitted a Diesel Rabbit with a second tank and drove East- West without stopping ever- no speed record, but they were sealed into the car( seals on all the doors) but one driver fell asleep somewhere and went off road; they did finish but got no real recognition, other than Volkswagen claiming a headline that " Volkswagen drives non stop across US" or somesuch. Great article.
    Oh yeah, they did NOT ever stop for restroom breaks, as well as fuel,...............now try to beat THAT feat.

Lt. Donn, cbetts1 and BOOSTED12A like this.
  10. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

1504 7th Street South, Minneapolis, MN 55454
    Is there a way to match/exceed the VW effort....... depends.

Sent from my Jackboot using Copatalk

nrajeff, B C, Flags and 7 others like this.
  11. shadowgunner9

Now that I think of it, the 2 guys were med students and had access to some great bowel- cleansing concoctions.... and did not eat anything later... Also used a catheter and a bottle for #1........
    No thanks.

TBO likes this.
  12. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

1504 7th Street South, Minneapolis, MN 55454
    Fricking hose jockeys.

Sent from my Jackboot using Copatalk

pgg00 likes this.
  13. Pete perfection

Pete perfection

14. rock_castle

rock_castle All Lives Matter

How did Burt do this year?

B C and BOOSTED12A like this.
  15. JW1178

JW1178

Stupid because they do it on public roads but other than that, pretty impressive except for endangering people's lives. The fuel stops are the real time consumer. Two things I'd like see tried:

1. Diesel truck with a massive fuel tank for a bed so it could go non-stop. May not reach the high speeds but the consistency of speed (torturous vs. hare) and with a bench seat wouldn't be hard to change drivers without stopping either.... not that I've ever done something like that befroe but I'm confident it can be done.
    2. Someone come up with a way to refuel the car while it is still driving. Kind of how fighter aircraft do mid air refueling.

I used to make the trip between North Dallas and North Atlanta in about 11-12hrs quite often by only having to refuel twice and not stopping except to get fuel, run to the bathroom while it fuels, and get back on it.

cbetts1 and BOOSTED12A like this.
  16. 4896worker

4896worker

Impressive to say the least but they are endangering a lot of people with that stunt . Don’t want to be a safety nazi but come on if they caused death or pain to my family the law would be the least of their worries

ruffhunter and larry_minn like this.
  17. bluebanana

bluebanana

Stupid and inconsiderate. Only a matter of time before there is a major wreck.

ruffhunter likes this.
  18. porschedog

porschedog

There used to be a thing called the One Lap of America in which, I believe if memory serves, the goal was to average 55 mph the entire way. One of my neighbors did it in a Class A RV.

CAcop and larry_minn like this.
  19. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

There was a huge car. You had expandable running boards, wheels to deploy so you could change the tire while moving. The back seat had a camode, fridge, fuel trailer.....
    I saw a demo long time ago
    One (make the miles go) trick I do is average 60 mph cross country to wherever I need to go. With towns, slower traffic, driving careful, quick fuel stops...

20. StarvinMarvin

StarvinMarvin

An undisclosed person/team did it in under 26 hours. They are waiting for the covid madness to settle down before unveiling themselves. Crazy how fast you have to travel on average to do that.

I thought Ed Bolian's time of 28:50 was damn near unbeatable, it's been bested 7 times in the last 5 weeks.