Got to shoot new precision rifle

Discussion in 'Rimfire Forum' started by ronin.45, Sep 24, 2020.

1. ronin.45

ronin.45

I snagged this Ruger Long Range Target for a song. It came with a new Vortex Diamondback Tactical 6-24, but I swapped the scope mount for an ADM QD that I had on hand because they are top notch.
    IMG_20200818_170304.jpg
    Finally got it to the range tonight with CCI Green Tag, Lapua Midas+, and Lapua Center-X. Surprisingly it didn't care for the high-end Lapua. I was pleasantly surprised at how it did with the Green Tag.
    11/32" center to center.
    IMG_20200924_220945_01.jpg

Big1, 6Actual, nikerret and 9 others like this.
  2. DrewBone

DrewBone

Congrats and 'nice group! That barrel looks like it goes on forever, eh?! ;)

I've recently been looking into bolt action .22's and the Ruger American Rimfire line was one of my first considerations, but after a crazy amount of research I decided to spend a little more money and go another route.

Within a week or so I hope to have the rifle and components I decided upon together for some testing. But I won't let that stop me from continuing to keep my eyes open for good deals :)

mj9mm and Spats McGee like this.

3. nikerret

nikerret Mr. Awesome

How far away was the target, for that group?

4. ronin.45

ronin.45

50 yards

5. nikerret

nikerret Mr. Awesome

Any reason you didn’t push it out, farther? What caliber?

If you get a bipod, my Harris has been great.

6. ronin.45

ronin.45

The Ruger wouldn't have been my first choice either, but I couldn't pass up the deal. The barrel is 20". Longer than I prefer, but still doable. With the 5"+ Silencerco Sparrow it is getting a bit ridiculous.
    A few of my friends have been on a quest for the ultimate modern rimfire. One has landed on a Bergara that has recorded some amazing groups in the 0.08" range. Another has a pair of Tikka T1Xs with different barrels that hover just above that. A third just ordered a Vudoo which should be a sweet shooter too.
    I'm not playing the games they are. 5 shots inside 3/8" at 50 is more than adequate for my needs. And it's the quietest suppressor host I own. I might have to order can #5 so it can have its very own.

mj9mm and DrewBone like this.
  7. ronin.45

ronin.45

It's 22lr
    The range I was on maxed out at 50, but I'll take it to 100 eventually. 50 seems to be the standard distance for rimfire group testing.

8. nikerret

nikerret Mr. Awesome

Ahhh, I didn’t realize we were in rimfire. No wonder I hadn’t heard of the ammunitions listed.

10or45, pgg00 and ronin.45 like this.
  9. DrewBone

DrewBone

I understand about "the deal"...it's tough to pass things up sometimes!

It's amazing how much coin you can drop on a precision .22 rifle ;) ...and I'm certainly not on that quest! I think the most I'll ever reach out to is 100 yards, morelikely 50 yards suppressed just for some quiet fun, so there's no need for me to go overboard on anything.

10. ronin.45

ronin.45

Yup. This is just another toy for me. I was hoping for 1/2" or better so it's beating my expectations.
    My friends have multiple thousands into some of their rimfires. The Vudoo will be pushing $5k with optics. This cost me $500 total.

Spats McGee, DrewBone and nikerret like this.
  11. DrewBone

DrewBone

'Nuthin' wrong with a 1/2" group and I'm not embarassed to say that $5K is waaaay out of my league!

And wow, you sure did get a great deal!

12. ede

ede

Very nice. When Ruger first introduced them I tried to buy one but they weren't something Vances carried. Last time I looked they still don't. I bought a Annie and put the same scope on it and shoot to 300 yards.

13. ronin.45

ronin.45

I hadn't even seen this model until my friend picked it up. I immediately liked the stock. When he decided to let it go, I figured I'd give it a home.
    I don't do any serious precision shooting so the Anschutz is not in my budget. They are fine rifles though.

14. hardluk1

hardluk1

ronin.45 When you change ammo brand shopt at least 20 rounds before attempting to shoot for group size . The change in bullet lube or lack of can effects group size . Can even take a real garbage round fired right after a box of SK rifle match and turn that junk ammo into something very special for about 5 rounds before the group goes to hail again .

I have a regular savage bv with a little trigger work that shoots very well and a couple 10/22 but there not stock !! If you find some Federal 711b try it . IT been a good dependable lower cost ammo that run well in all our 22lrs no matter if in the silver gm box gold or the new odd ball box its been over the years . I still have older 922a federal gm that in my savage will print closer to .770 moa . If I can set next to a guy shooting his hunting rifle I'll try to put 10 rounds in the fine print typically near a corner and wait for them to change or collect there target and watch there face when they finally notice the group . HA

15. ede

ede

If the change in lube affect group size why doesn't it happen to me? I've spent so much time trying to improve my groups and for most part not much has changed.

ronin.45 likes this.
  16. usnret

usnret

I've started using the new Eley Action ammo. It's a 42 grain bullet, and Action is standard velocity. Action Plus is high velocity, and is also a 42 gr bullet. I have found that the Eley shoots just ass good as the SK yellow box. I have been getting the Eley for $32.50 per box of 500.

17. ronin.45

ronin.45

I'm hoping to get it back out this Thursday to try some new ammo. I've got another 1/2 dozen brands ready to go.

Spats McGee likes this.
  18. ronin.45

ronin.45

Finally got the Ruger back out for some more ammo testing. I still had 20-25rds each of the two Lapua variants and wanted to give them a fair shake. They proved disappointing once again. Best group was about 3/4" at 50 yards.
    I tried the last 5rds in a box of Green Tag and it performed well again. Don't know when I'll find more of it, but definitely want to see what it can do consistently.
    The only new ammo I took today was CCI SV. I was hoping the gun would like this ammo since it's usually easy to find and relatively cheap for target grade stuff. I also have like 600rds on hand so it would be convenient if it performed well.
    SV is a winner. It repeatedly put 5 shots under 1/2" and had a new best for this gun of 5/16".
    IMG_20201022_170334.jpg
    i'm very pleased with that performance and can't wait to play some more. I have another 4 or 5 ammo types to try but I'll probably fall back on SV for obvious reasons.

mj9mm, 1eyedjack01 and arndog123 like this.
  19. ede

ede

That's pretty good performance from the Ruger and you. Knowing how I am with RimFire I'll buy onei I stumble across one but may not go looking for one. My go to ammo that performs well in all my rifles is SK Rifle Match, Eley Target, Match and Tenex. For a great low end ammo I like Aguilar Super extra SV. I've never tried Lupua or CCI SV. I've got maybe 20 kinds of match ammo I need to burn all but my go to ammo before adding more.
    Just checked Vance's, 559 and out of stock. I'll check at Christmas when I'm there.

20. ronin.45

ronin.45

I have high hopes for SK Rifle Match. A buddy of mine swears by it in his Bergara, CZ, and Tikka. I have two boxes to try.
    I also have some Eley Edge if I remember correctly.