close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Got the pup back from the vet today [surgery]

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by forthehalibut, Jun 28, 2006.

1. forthehalibut

forthehalibut

Well, our dog [9 1/2 month old border collie/blue heeler/lab/whoknowswhatelse mix] had to go in for minor surgery today. I noticed a lump on the right side of his jaw last week, and took him in. The doc checked it out, and was a bit concerned. So, we arranged to have him in to get it drained and see what caused it, or do a biopsy if necessary.

Fortunately, it wasn't necessary. They found a grass seed that somehow got imbedded in there--from the outside and worked its way in. The doc said it probably happened about a week prior to me finding the lump, and it was a good thing I brought him in when I did, before it got worse. I am very happy it was nothing else. I kinda suspected something like this, but that was because he had his first taste of cactus a couple of weeks earlier. Also, it would've been another $100 if they had to do a biopsy. Now, they have added that to their collection of foreign object they have removed. They have a display shelf in the back or the clinic.

So, we had an initial estimate of about $250, and that was after the discounts and all [we are on the Banfield wellness plan for him]. When we paid the bill this afternoon, it was only $162.XX! That was a pleasant surprise.:pepper:

So, Bullet is doing fine, and has an ugly, open wound draining. He goes in 10-14 days from now to get the stitches removed, and he got some neat doggie drugs to boot! One set is antibiotics, and then there are these giant ones that are his painkillers.

That is him in the avatar--when he was only about 30-40 lbs. He is now around 80 lbs.:alex: Just wanted to share our good news that it was nothing serious with him.
    :bowdown: :odie: :dog: :snoopy:

2. GotGlock1917

GotGlock1917 Lifetime Member

Glad it wasn't anything serious. Also glad you are observant and didn't allow it to get worse.

Good job.:thumbsup:

3. forthehalibut

forthehalibut

Thanks. Yeah, I tend to worry about him a bit anyway. He is doing fine today--a pain in the butt as usual--and we just clean his wound and put some antibiotic ointment on it every once in a while. I've nicknamed him "scarface" for now.

That was one expensive grass seed.:freak: