close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Got the parts for my P64 & did some grip mods (pics inside)

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Nakanokalronin, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Nakanokalronin

Nakanokalronin JMB & MTK

Finally got my parts from Poland that seemed to be worn out on my P64. Looks like the only thing I needed was a new hammer strut but it never hurts to have extra parts on hand.

After installing the parts I went ahead and did some grip mods to the stock grips. I took a piece of paper, laid it on top of each grip and shaded over it with a pencil. I then cut out the shaded grip drawings and taped them on the back of some grip tape, cut it out and affixed it to the panels.

I also put a piece of grip tape on the front strap and then cut down a Wilson Combat checkered strap made for 1911s to fit on the P64. I trimmed it down on the sides so it stuck inside the grip just enough to grab the frame. I'll be shooting it this weekend but so far, it feels a lot better then before.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also have the 20lb recoil spring (I flattened the ends) and 19lb hammer spring installed. The double action is better but the single action is ridiculously light, but I like it.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
  2. G26S239

G26S239 NRA Patron

Cool, I never tried a P64 but I have a Makarov. The 9X 18 is a fun cartridge.

3. Nakanokalronin

Nakanokalronin JMB & MTK

I have a CZ-82 coming back my way soon (third one I've owned), I used to own a PA63 and IJ70 Makarov, but I've heard the P64 can be a little handful.

The front strap worked wonders on my Solo so I figured I'd try it on the P64.
    [​IMG]

Just gripping it in stock form told me it would slip in my hand when firing.

4. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

Explain the checkered front strap for those of us who are to tired (or dumb) to see how they attach?

5. MinnesnowtaWild

MinnesnowtaWild

My buddy has a P64 and recently did all the spring changes. I have not tested the trigger out yet, but I wonder if that SA trigger is too light now for concealed carry? I personally don't really think it's that great of a CCW but it will do in a pinch.

6. Nakanokalronin

Nakanokalronin JMB & MTK

It basically just wraps around the front and gets folded under the grips which keep it in place. I did the same thing to my Kimber Solo and it made a huge difference.

This is how it comes in the package
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

You just want enough to secure it without going into the magwell. When you receive the WC strips, it can be put right onto a standard framed 1911 with no trimming, but since these frames are shorter and thinner, some trimming needs to be done. I put a piece of grip tape from end to end on the P64 underneath just so it wouldn't scratch the frame. The Solo has a smaller piece or grip tape under the strap since it was wider to begin with.

7. Nakanokalronin

Nakanokalronin JMB & MTK

Test out the SA some time. :wow: Most P64 owners recommend the 18lb spring but I'm glad I went with 19lb. It's probably best to buy the 3-pack Wolff offers (18/19/20) so you can test each one to see what works best. The P64 has a very slim profile and would be great as a conceal carry gun. The more C&R handguns I buy, the more I realize how one could have nothing but surplus firearms and have a decent defensive line-up.

8. G26S239

G26S239 NRA Patron

I agree. Part of the reason I bought the Makarov was because I was on a limited budget at the time. I like the Mak better than the PPK I have. The Combloc weapons were built tough and priced cheap because the countries of origin needed hard cash.

9. wk9k

wk9k

I like the p64, and I like those front grips you put on it. I have considered getting a p64 because I like the fact that it is a DA/SA and they dont really make that many small DA/SA that are in the 9mm range. I also like that it sort of looks like a ppk.

10. Nakanokalronin

Nakanokalronin JMB & MTK

Funny you should mention the PPK because it fits in most holsters designed for it. I bought a Bianchi 100 for a PPK and it fits the P64 like a glove.

[​IMG]