got some questions, please respond,barrel issues

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by decibels5, Jan 16, 2010.

1. decibels5

decibels5

:dunno:I have a glock 26 that I bought new a couple of months ago. Have a couple of hundred rounds through it and noticed something for the first time. Today, while cleaning the barrel I found a flaw in the barrel. Looks to be a machining issue on one of the spirals in the barrel. I dont think it was there before today. I shoot plated or jacketed bullets and only use brass rods with plastic tips to clean it. cotton and general gun cleaning wipes. looks like the high point on a spiral in the barrel got "wiped". if you know what I mean. Cant really take a picture. Any Ideas? Will GLOCK warranty this? Has anyone ever seen this before? What is the best way to go about contacting glock in order to speed up the process. If they dont warranty it, what is the cost of a new barrel. I dont trust this barrel and will not shoot through it again.

2. Scared_of_zombies

Scared_of_zombies

what do you mean wiped? Broken? Smooth? Filed down?

3. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

There are sometimes slight flaws in factory barrels. As long as it shoots a tight group, don't worry about it. The last .5" of the barrel is most critical, and make sure the crown is not damaged.

4. decibels5

decibels5

maybe a better example. a bolt with a thread that has been stripped. though not as extreme. the rest of the spirals are perfect. this part is the very beginning of the barrel after the chamber. The first mm or so of the barrel. On what seems to be the high end of the spiral. it is very minor but I still dont trust it. it is very minute, but I can see it when angling the barrel in the light.

5. Scared_of_zombies

Scared_of_zombies

dont worry about that at all. I have a an old revolver with several spots of rust in the bore and it still shoots like a champ.

6. Dave T

Dave T

Doesn't sound like anything to get you boxers or Jockys wadded up over but people differ. Some folks want everything to be perfect. If it bothers you that much (enough to post about it) listening to several of us say it's no big deal may not satisfy you. If it really bugs you take it back to the dealer or send it to Glock. Other wise you'll worry yourself to death over it.

Dave

Last edited: Jan 16, 2010
  7. G36's Rule

G36's Rule Senior Member

While it is possible for a barrel to be flawed, it is probably not.

Do you have access to some orange sticks or other wood sticks that you can try to scrap off or rub across the area that looks worn?

I'm guessing you may be getting some leading from the plated bullets.

8. mr smithglock

mr smithglock

Id just shoot it, when you look to hard everything looks like a flaw.

9. voyager4520

voyager4520

It could be fouling, or a place where the phosphate coating is wearing away. Hard to tell without seeing it. Maybe go shoot 100 or so rounds through it, come back and clean it again. Maybe run a solvent-soaked bore brush really well through it, run a solvent soaked patch through it to get the bore nice and soaked, leave it for an hour or so, then run the brush through and finish with some clean patches.

I've heard of plated bullets shredding their plating in ported barrels, but don't know much about it other than what I've heard.

10. sigcalcatrant

sigcalcatrant

What you describe IS NOT unsafe.

11. G36_Me

G36_Me

You are not happy. Call Glock directly. My experience is: they will treat you right.

Now, you seem to have already made up your mind that you are not happy, so if Glock gives you the same advice (as previously posted, which is all valid IMO) you still will not be happy.

Your options:
    1. see if Glock will replace the barrel, regardless of their opinion call them: (770) 432-1202
    2. buy a new Glock barrel - price to a Glock Armor: $125.00 they will charge you to put in
    3. buy an after market barrel
    3. Sell the gun and cut your losses. Tell the person you are selling the gun to about your issue.

In summary, take positive action that satisfies you and bring this to closure.

edit: added Glock phone number and price of barrel. also search the net for aftermarket prices

Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
  12. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur CLM Millennium Member

Another consideration.....

How well does it shoot now?

If it shoots well, does it need to be fixed?

If it is 'fixed', will it shoot as well as it did before?

Yes, it's possible that a new/different barrel, while still within 'specs', may not be as accurate, or shoot to the same point of aim/impact as the the old barrel did. But then, it could be better too.....

I'd certainly shoot it a bunch more before taking any 'drastic' action. Like Voyager said, it could just be the coating wearing away, that happens sometimes. It's harmless and normally stops with use.

13. kda

kda NRA Life Member

+1 Above. The voice of reason.

14. decibels5

decibels5

took my time and shot one at a time. no changes in the barrel. very accurate. at least as accurate as me. cleaned it same condition. I feel a little more comfortable shooting it, but I am still going to contact glock about it.

15. ricklee4570

ricklee4570

Let us know what Glock advises you to do

16. decibels5

decibels5

ok
    will do

17. blinddog

blinddog

You have a chunk off one of the lands in the rifleing this is in the part of the barrel known as the leade that is right after the chamber stops it should not have any effects on a short barrel like in the G-26 that is the part of the rifleing that wears out first anyway. you can call Glock and ask about it they will most likely ask you to ship them the pistol for adjustment You will get it back with a new barrel, but it really is not a problem or even an issue, it will only have a slight effect on accuracy and NO effect on safety