Got pepper sprayed last night...

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by ranger88, Feb 25, 2010.

1. ranger88

ranger88 CLM

So my fiance and I went to a bar last night and were enjoying a few adult beverages when all of the sudden my throat and nose started burning. It took me a few seconds to realize what was happening, but as soon as I did I got us both outside. Then I went back into the bar (which I happen to own a stake in) and let my bartenders know what was going on. We opened all of the doors and windows and turned on all of the AC units and ceiling fans to flush the pepper spray out of the bar after evacuating most of the patrons. What struck me the most was the varying effects that the spray had on different people. Some were very affected by the spray while others in the same proximity were not affected at all. Proof of the ineffectiveness of pepper spray as a be all, end all self defense tool? The patrons actually took it very well and we didn't end up losing too much business due to the spray. About 10-15 minutes later, all was back to normal. We never did determine who dispursed the pepper spray and probably never will. We do have reason to suspect a particular group of people and that it was set off intentionally. I'm seriously hoping that this is not going to be the start of a new trend of pranks. We shall see....

2. deadday

deadday

You could line up 100 people, give them all the exact same dose and get 100 different responses....me...I'm that rare 1:1,000,000 person that has an allergic reaction to the **** and my face swells up like a balloon..

3. harleyfx69

harleyfx69

most likely its a cheap brand of pepper spray ..

the good stuff capsicum (sp) oleoresin sp again .. and other types are verry effective,

also you were not sprayed directly,

also it could have been an unintentional discharge from a lady's purse or anything ..

dancing on the floor or something and bumped into a cheap canister setting it off ..

if not you need bouncers / security ..

4. ranger88

ranger88 CLM

I agree with the fact that it was probably a cheap brand and that nobody that I can discern was sprayed directly. We have bouncers but as is the case with the police, they can't be everywhere all of the time. Panic seemed to have a great deal to do with whether the person was incapacitated by the spray or not. I was CS'ed plenty of times in the Army, so this was not a big deal compared to the infamous gas chamber of Ft. Benning. Still, not a pleasant experience in the least.

5. Greatscott

Greatscott

anyone I've ever seen sprayed directly in the face with OC is in a world of hurt almost instantly.

6. deadday

deadday

The really good **** is a combination CS/OC spray....talk about pain....felt like someone was dunking my head in napalm...:shocked:

7. deadday

deadday

...just don't come to expect that response and let your guard down brother...at some point in your career your going to douse somebody and they're going to laugh it off...this is not Hollywood bull****, there are some people that are 'immune' to the stuff, either by continuous exposure or just genetic quirk..

8. harleyfx69

harleyfx69

for your security, to be ideal you want 2 guys on the doors,

and 1 on all the floors ..

communication never hurt things either .. but you dont want your security looking like fbi agent want to be's ..

9. harleyfx69

harleyfx69

also if at all possible have more than one working ..

i quit a place because the owner screwed us all over and a bunch quit,

left me working a party of 200+ young punk's in a concert of some crap they listene to these days, along with the bar section with another 30-40 drunk indians / mexicans / whites and blacks ..

that night i sat in a corner with my back to the wall and told people to screw off and if they come closer they arent walking out of the bar .. and quit that night

10. Officer X

Officer X

You didn't really get peppersprayed but you got exposed to some.

It's much different to be exposed to pepperspray in the air than take a direct shot. I know this as there have been many a night at the end of the shift where some moron wants to joke around and sprays a blast in the locker room. The offender usually gets it back much worse.

I too have run across a couple of clients that have been able to take a direct hit and go on like it didn't affect them though.

11. Greatscott

Greatscott

I agree...nobody should ever rely on OC to completely eliminate a threat. It is meant to give you an advantage over your blinded opponent in the ensuing fight or struggle.

12. Brian Lee

Brian Lee Drop those nuts

I used to advocate bear spray a lot, but now I'm not sure what I think.

Just recently I test fired a can of bear spray with a very slight (3 to 5 MPH) wind at my back, and just a very very tiny bit of it swirled back in the air currents moving around in front of me and got into my throat and in my eyes. It was so little that I would not have known I had even got any on me if not for the fact that I was instantly coughing and my eyes were hurting so bad I couldn't open them. I instinctively tried to rub my eyes with my hands, but the stuff was on my hands too, and I only made things worse. It's a really good thing I was in my own back yard, because I ran inside, tearing off cloths the whole way, and jumped into the shower for several minutes to get it off of me, but it took some eating and drinking to get my throat calmed so that I could stop coughing.

I'm really glad I found out at home how hard it is to use this stuff without hurting yourself as much as the bear. If I had been in the woods with no nearby lake to jump into, I'd have been in real trouble. And after the spray, I was certainly not an any position to aim and fire a gun if the spray had failed to get rid of the hypothetical bear.

13. ranger88

ranger88 CLM

That night, I had two bartenders working (1 female, 1 male). And two doormen, one working the door with the other patrolling the floor. From an ownership standpoint, it's always a compromise of profitability versus security. But obviously if we were to have future problems of this type, all kinds of additional measures would have to be taken. More doormen, possibly cameras, etc. I always used to say that the day I have to wand my patrons is the day I get out of the business. Not that a wand would stop a plastic container of pepper spray from getting through the door. :dunno:

14. ranger88

ranger88 CLM

You are correct, sir! I was exposed to pepper spray, not actually sprayed with it.

15. GuySDS

GuySDS

Getting exposed just makes you cough a little and eyes water, but getting sprayed by some good one million SHU will **** up your day. I totally underestimated it, but I will tell you from experience you do not want to be on the other side of that bottle.

16. harleyfx69

harleyfx69

yup its always a cost issue..

the only other guy there i counted on at the begining was the bartender, he was an Iraqi, about 6'4"-6'5" and about 300-350 pounds , all muscle ,

then the other guy that came later was a guy that had been doing it for a long time, another big guy .. everyone else they hired were complete clowns and i did not trust them

17. security79

security79 Gene Frenkle

This was no doubt the cheap grocery store stuff. If it had been something like fox 5.3 the results would have been different although there are still people that have a high tolerance, even to fox.:shocked:

Last edited: Feb 25, 2010
  18. chief

chief

maybe this is why cops use tazers now and you almost never see them using pepper spray any more. if I had a bear charging towards me, I wouldn't want an aerosol can in my hand, I'd want a gat in each hand and I'd keep bustin' those caps until that bear looked like a piece of swiss cheese.

19. Weiser 878

Weiser 878 R O C K E R

I've seen a little punk, maybe 15 or 16 get sprayed straight in the face several times by a cop. Enough to use the whole can. He never let up. The cop was coughing up a lung and had his eyes it looked swollen shut, I was 50 feet away and was coughing and my eyes were watering, but the kid was still screaming and fighting the cop. I have no doubt that if he'd been so inclined he could have taken the cop's gun or pulled his own weapon and injured/killed the cop. Cop was incapacitated, kid was not. It finally came down to the cop just using brute force (and probably not "approved" tactics) to take the kid out (he stopped trying to subdue him and started beating on him)

20. harleyfx69

harleyfx69

ive had the opposite views,

haloween night ,

HUGE street fight, probably 50-75 people directly involved, with a hundred + spectators,

lone cop pulls up, most disperse and werent gone after, a group of maybe 10-20 stay with a single middle area with a couple people going at it,

cops goes to arrest them / subdue them, the resist of course, so he sprays the entire crowd and it pretty well works,

then the entire town police force shows up going down all ways of the street, down one way streets / alleys / etc ..

they then arrest several people and you hear these guys yelling "we got yo bail homie" , and the chicks of the ones arrested are fighting with the cops and get themselves arrested also ..