close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Got my underwood ammo in today, but doesnt feed well in my lwd barrel...

Discussion in 'The 10 Ring' started by arushus, Nov 17, 2011.

1. arushus

arushus Biggest Member

My underwood ammo came in just now, and it must have a longer OAL, because nearly every round fails to feed. Ive been having this issue ever since I bought the barrel, but usually it was only one or two rounds per mag using winchester and hornady ammo. I dont blame the ammo, Im sure Ill be very happy with it, it is just this damn barrel is really starting to frustrate me. One or two ftf's per mag doesnt really bother me when im out plinking, but damn near every round is just too much to put up with. I wanna be able to reload the brass, and if I just shoot it through my stock barrel, in all likelihood Ill just end up with a bunch of unloadable brass due to glocksmiles, since this ammo is loaded to full power, or thereabouts.
    Ive considered sending the barrel to lwd to look at, but Im afraid Ill end up with a barrel that isnt much better than my stock one since they will likely just over do it on the feed ramp, instead of just a good polishing to the top of the chamber, which is really all I figure it needs. Im afraid they'll send me my barrel back in such a shape that it no longer "fully supports" the round. I guess Ive just gotta get my hands on a dremel tool with some good polish and a good polishing wheel, and do it myself. Ive never done it before though, but what could really go bad with just a polishing wheel? Unless some of my fellow GT'ers that have worked on a LWD barrel before and know what theyre doing feel like helping a fellow out?!?!:whistling:

2. G29SF

G29SF

I have some boxes of Underwood ammo that is arriving today (11/17). I will take some with me while I am out deer hunting tomorrow and this weekend and shoot some of them. (Shooting in a different location than hunting!) I use KKM barrels, but can let you now how it works out. If I have feeding issues it is probably an ammo problem. Might be your barrel though.

Swamp Fox (mudrush) has said he sometimes has to polish up the LWD barrels so they feed better. That might all that it takes. I think he said he uses an abrasive toothpaste. There might just be some rough edges that need to be removed.

What gen gun do you have? What "year"? I see you have a G20SF... are all G20SFs Gen3? I have a G20SF that is a "2011" model. I can also shoot some of the Underwood ammo out of my stock barrel and let you know what it does to the brass.

One more thing... when a cartridge hangs up, you should be able to remove it carefully and inspect it. There might/should be marks on the case where it is hanging up. That will give you an indication where the barrel might be "rough around the edges".

OK, two more things... :) Let me know what ammo you bought. I did not buy any FMJ, but I did buy a couple of boxes each of the other stuff.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2011

3. arushus

arushus Biggest Member

Im sure it is my barrel, it is just odd how much more prevalent it is with the underwood stuff. I think the underwood may just be slightly longer...

Im hoping all it takes is a little polishing, you can see on the top of the chamber where the rounds are hanging, there arent any rough spots, just some marks where the brass and or copper rubs off slightly, I can clean it really good, but you can still see the marks. Im thinking if I just polish this area up a little, it should be just fine. I really dont want to have to touch the feed ramp area...

Yes mine is a gen 3, and yes all sf's are gen 3's...my test fire date is 6-16-11.

When a round gets stuck, Ive taken a knife and scored the brass around the case as far as I can right next to the chamber as a way to tell how far the bullet makes it in, so I can pull the barrel out, and put that same round back in right to the point where it gets hung, and it is right after the edge of the case enters the chamber, maybe a millimeter of the top of the case is inside the chamber.

I bought three boxes of their 180gr fmj's, rated at 1300fps. The bullets are very "pointy" (for lack of a better word), they do have a flat tip, but every other fmj round Ive seen the diameter of the flat tip is a lot wider. I almost wouldnt put it past some dumb cop to try to accuse me of having armor piercing rounds! haha

Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
  4. G29SF

G29SF

Hmmm, I wonder if the pointy bullet is the problem. I think Blazer TMJs are the only "fmj" rounds I have shot, and they are a "flat" top.

5. arushus

arushus Biggest Member

Who knows? I havent heard of anyone else mentioning that as an issue. They are shaped odd for a .400" bullet. Almost like an ogive shape as opposed to the truncated cone shape of most .400" bullets.

6. TreyG-20

TreyG-20 Second2None

Don't worry about glock smiles to much. I have my gen 2 20 like that guys that KB the other day and I shoot Swampfoxammo mainly and all the brass I have barely even has a smile. I'll take a picture later and post it. I usually shoot the 135gr noslers at 1600 fps. But I shoot some of the 180xtps too. Granted they arent the fully supported chamber rounds he offers but they're still pretty hot

7. bustedknee

bustedknee The Snowflakes have invaded GT

8. arushus

arushus Biggest Member

Well I fired off 45 rounds of underwood 180gr fmj this morning through my stock barrel with a 22lb ismi recoil spring. I was disappointed, not with the power of the ammo, it is definitely full power. And I love shooting it. I dont know whether to be upset with my gun or ammo. The first mag I had 1 FTExtract, 2 stovepipes, and probably 5-6 FTFeed, the bullet would veer off to the left and get jammed on the left side of the barrel. The second mag was a little better, but still had 3-4 FTFeed. On the third mag, I finally decided I had probably ought to pack the mag to make sure all the rounds were all the way back against the back wall of the mag. And wouldnt you know it, the third mag ran perfect!
    What really distresses me about the failures is, Ive never had one single failure of any sort using the stock barrel! And now I have all these problems with this ammo?!?! Regardless or whether or not the rounds were packed in the mag or not, I shouldnt have had this many problems, never have before when I ran a mag without packing it...I did have the 22lb recoil spring on a ss guide rod, but Im inclined to not blame all these failures on the damn recoil spring, no way could it have caused all that mess!
    I think that this underwood ammo is quite a bit longer than other ammo, relatively speaking. Could someone with a caliper give me an overall length measurement on the underwood ammo? Any other ideas/opinion/advice would be appreciated!

ETA: I just got to looking inside the barrel, and there is quite a bit of unburnt powder left in the barrel. More than Ive ever seen with any other round, including .40cal tulammo. It is also fairly dirty, as dirty as any other 10mm ammo Ive fired...

Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
  9. ModGlock17

ModGlock17

When I use my reloads at less than 1.250" OAL, the frequency of FTFeed increase significantly and contributing to the portion of FTFeed from LWD barrel. Then through experiments, I've found that 1.255" gives me the most reliable feeding.

On the portion from LWD (I believe), I rub 400grit or 600grit sand paper on the feeding ramp until the machine grooves no longer visible (20 times or so) and smooth to the touch. On my G29, StormLake barrel came ramp-polished as I recall and never had FTFeed attributable to it.

I also ditched the stock captive recoil spring, in favor of either Sprinco or Wolf rod and spring (19lbs).

I also polished the corners of the chamber part of the barrel so that it would slide smoother inside the slide.

No more FTFeed.

10. rcd567

rcd567

Do you still have the stock spring? Return the Glock to the original configuration and see if that makes a difference. I'm kind of the thinking that if Glocks needed a 22lbs spring, they'd come with one. But I'm sure lots of folks will jump in here to the contrary.

I've shot a couple hundred of their 165gr. hollow points without a problem out of my stock 20sf. The 180 may be a different story, but I'll keep shooting the 165s until they raise the price.

11. arushus

arushus Biggest Member

Ill try stock spring next time, any other aftermarket parts on my gun shouldnt have any bearing on the gun's feeding, firing, and extracting.

12. drsjr1969

drsjr1969 "10mm ammo" FB

I have shot many Underwood's thru both the stock and 6 inch barrel LWD using a 22 lbs spring. I have had no FTF or problems of any kind. I will take a pair of calipers to them when I have a chance later today and see what I get.

13. 4949shooter

4949shooter

14. arushus

arushus Biggest Member

Thanks! Ive never had these kinds of problems with this gun before...Even using swampfox ammo with the aftermarket lwd barrel the worst it ever got was maybe two failures to feed per magazine, NOTHING like the problems I had with the underwood stuff today...

15. arushus

arushus Biggest Member

Have you shot the 180gr FMJ's? Last I looked I couldnt find any in your chrono list, just the hollowpoints..

16. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

+1
    :popcorn:

17. dryfly

dryfly Platinum Member

Hey Arushus dont give up on the gun just yet. Frustrating as hell I am sure.
    I would go back to stock spring and stock barrel and start over.
    Try with diff brands of ammo.
    All of my issues cleared up using Swamp Fox premium 200 grain xtp at 100% stock glock.
    I had issues with LW barrel and AM spring...
    I had issues with stock barrel and AM spring...
    I had issues with LW barrel and stock spring...
    But when I went back to stock glock spring and barrel I have had zero issues...except I need more ammo and Mudrush isnt around....

Good Luck !

18. arushus

arushus Biggest Member

Ya, Im definitely gonna go back to stock spring and barrel. I have lots of trigger mods, but none of that will affect the problems Im having.

What is just really confusing is, Ive run swampfox, winchester, and hornady 10mm ammo through my lwd barrel and 22lb ismi recoil spring, and never had any consistent problems, just the occasional FTFeed, which occurred twice per mag AT THE MOST...

19. arushus

arushus Biggest Member

Im starting to wonder if perhaps it could have been a bad magazine and one hell of a coincidence. Maybe the first mag had a weak spring, and bad feed lips. And the second mag's rounds were seated really bad. Cuz the third mag that I packed correctly ran perfect. At least this is what Im hoping for! (Now that I think about it I should have marked the magazine I was having all the problems with).

I have seven mags, and it wasnt until Id had all of them for a while that the thought popped into my head that I probably should have marked and dated them somehow. So Id know which was the mags that came with it, which obviously are going to be the most used/worn out. From now on, when I buy mags, Im going to mark and date them.The next two or three I get will be kept new and in good shape as my defensive carry mags. The rest will be allocated to range mags that I dont care what happens to.

Any ideas on how to distinguish or mark mags somehow, besides buying the orange or blue colored base plates, since I dont wamt to spend much money trying to mark them. At some point in the future I will probably buy one or two of those custom mag plates with the designs on them that lonewolf offers, just for the hell of it.
    Just had a thought, I bet fingernail polish would work well for marking the mags. Anybody else try this? Besides white what would be some good colors that would stand out? Perhaps any pastel colors would I guess?

20. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

I usually have some "White Out" laying around the house. I simply put a stripe on the base plate of any suspect magazine. But, fingernail polish will work (and it can be removed with fingernail polish remover which is just acetone).

Still, if you can restore the gun to original OEM condition, you eliminate the "dog chasing its tail" effect. You need a clean baseline test (because your gun jams a lot more than my box stock G20 and G29 which have never had any real issues - including no Glock smilies, no stovepipes, or FTFs).