close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Got my new Remington Model 1100 Tactical 6+1 Auto loader today

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Glock20 10mm, Feb 21, 2010.

1. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

So I picked up both my .270Win LH Savage and Remington 1100 Semi-Auto 12GA from my FFL today. And SOB if there isn't a touch of rust on the shotgun! :wow:

I am writing a letter to Remington to complain about the finish on the weapon. It looks like someone roughed up the metal then sprayed cheap paint on it. It's a brand new shotgun too! I am really disappointed in the finish quality of the barrel. Especially from Remington.

So anyhow I am here to ask the GT brain trust again, what would be a good course of temporary action for preventing further rust? I don't know what Remington will say or do, so I don't want to alter the shotgun yet. I am thinking about oiling the barrel but my concern is if I do that it might hamper future bluing or sealing.

What do you think? A light coat of oil for the time being? Keep in mind I live 5 miles from the ocean and corrosion is a big problem in this area as it is. So this is a legitimate concern I have.

Thanks!

2. armorplated

armorplated

I wouldn't bother touching it up cause I definitely wouldn't keep it. Once it starts rusting it's just going to get worse.

I'd take it straight to the FFL tomorrow and tell them the merchandise is defective. See how he intends to handle it.

3. byf43

byf43 NRA Endowment Life Member

You might want to clean the 1100 with gun solvent and then lube/preserve with BreakFree CLP.

Stay all over Remington. A NEW scattergun should not have rust.

4. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

Okay, that's what I was going to do, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to ruin the guns ability to be re-blued or sealed.

Thank You!

5. Wackmaster

Wackmaster

Did you have to take delivery? I wouldn't have if there was something wrong with it.

6. Kozel

Kozel

Shoot it first. You may have more reasons to send it back. I had two 1100s. Both only worked when absolutely, perfectly clean and were picky on ammo.

Cold weather turned them into single shot and then in no-shot at all. Sometimes it would not fire chambered shell!

7. harleyfx69

harleyfx69

oil the crap out of it to prevent it from getting worse,

if they have to reblue the barrel, they have to take all the old blue off first to do it properly, and they have to clean it off before blueing anyway,

8. Yo

Yo

If it says it comes with a Parkerized or phosphate type finish, it's going to have a fairly rough, gritty external finish. I wouldn't worry about it. If you want smooth and shiny, get a Marine magnum. It will be much more corrosion-resistant in any case.

To guard against future rust, use Corrosion-X or Eezox. Break-free leaves a greasy type layer.

See: http://www.6mmbr.com/corrosiontest.html

Parkerized Uzi barrels (look rough to you?):

[​IMG]

9. jpa

jpa CLM

Rough and parkerized is very different from rust. They look nothing like each other. I don't think I would have accepted it, but I doubt the dealer will trade. More than likely you'll have to contact Remington directly.