Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked it up yesterday with some sig sauer target ammo. Ordered a holster that will be great for what I need it for. Now, what ammo that I should use it it?
I am in NMaine and am in the woods 90% of the time doing various things outdoorsy, foraging, hunting, trapping, fishing and guiding to name a few. Right now it’s just carrying while I’m walking looking for moose antlers and last year I had 3 black bear encounters. What quality ammo should I shoot for this. What shouldn’t I shoot in the Glock?

·
Registered
13,498 Posts
Underwood 220 grain hard cast.
It is coated, so no worries about lead fouling. I use it in my G20.

I like 155 grain XTP, hollow points for normal carry. Also Underwood.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Give us some details. Red dot or aftermarket sights? What kind of holster are you using?

Here’s mine with a Vortex Venom and tritium suppressor hight sights.
0AB145BD-05A3-40CD-8877-DFAF9EC9918B.jpeg
2DBADCCE-986C-4546-B900-8489BE6DA18C.jpeg
E2FEE2D0-1438-4B0E-A0DE-19F81837B12A.jpeg

·
Registered
150 Posts
From what I’ve read on the interwebs ANY 10mm ammo will kill any animal, and those near it, in North America.

But seriously folks Buffalo Bore Heavy 180 grain. Lots of pop in that round so it’s best to practice with what you carry.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is bone stock and will stay that way for awhile till funds are there.
Being such a big frame I didn’t want it on my belt walking up to 10 miles a day through the brush. In and out of truck numerous times a day so I went with the Kenai chest holster. To keep hands and sides free carrying bear bait.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
It is bone stock and will stay that way for awhile till funds are there.
Being such a big frame I didn’t want it on my belt walking up to 10 miles a day through the brush. In and out of truck numerous times a day so I went with the Kenai chest holster. To keep hands and sides free carrying bear bait.
I hear ya about toting such a big pistol on a long hike! That Gungfighters chest holster looks sweet and folks that have them say they’re great. I haven’t logged any miles with my g40 although I plan too. It’s going to take the place of my 1911 cco when going to the forest.

Red stick that is a sweet setup. How do you get a holster that fits the light or laser on the rail.
Thanks!
That’s a https://www.daraholsters.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhcbNr6eV6QIVIxvnCh2sigGhEAAYASAAEgJ2WPD_BwE level 2 duty holster. Dara was one of very few holster makers I found that made a holster for the g40 with a light (tlr-1). They also offer a holster without the hood as well. A lot of popular holster makers don’t even make a g40 holster.
I wanted to stay with a belt holster, but one that had a drop/ offset option (not a drop leg though) that would work with, and sit below a pack belt. Hopefully the holster paired with a https://www.bluealphagear.com/product/standard-1-75-double-belt-rig/ will work well while hiking, sometimes with a pack on. Time will tell!

Reactions: Fur Trapper

·
Banned
157 Posts
How well do the "supressor height" sights cowitness with the Vortex? Any way you could take a pic of the red dot while cowitnessing through the glass of it, and post it, so I can see where the dot is in relation to the top of the front sight, please?

I've got the Venom on my G40, and am considering popping on a set of the Trijicon supressor height sights for it, like you have, but I'd like to know what to expect from them when viewing them through the sight glass, before busting out another hun'ert on gun stuff. Arguably, at least so contends the Mrs, I may have gone a bit overboard with my gun related purchases, since Thanksgiving of last year.

I got my G40 MOS back in late December, MC2ME!, which was immediately preceded, just a couple weeks prior, by my newest EDC, an S&W 340PD, and immediately followed by, back in early January, my new Ruger Mk IV Hunter. And just last Monday, I picked up another gun that's long held a very high spot on my most wanted guns bucket list, a Colt Competition .45 acp.

But what can I say, this gun stuff is addictive, and expensive.

*she'll get over it, eventually. I hope. Prolly ought to pick her up some flowers, while on the way home from the gun range, next time I go, tomorrow? Prolly. We'll see. Shh! Don't anyone tell her. I want it to be a surprise. Thoughful, I am.*

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
How well do the "supressor height" sights cowitness with the Vortex? Any way you could take a pic of the red dot while cowitnessing through the glass of it, and post it, so I can see where the dot is in relation to the top of the front sight, please?

I've got the Venom on my G40, and am considering popping on a set of the Trijicon supressor height sights for it, like you have, but I'd like to know what to expect from them when viewing them through the sight glass, before busting out another hun'ert on gun stuff. Arguably, at least so contends the Mrs, I may have gone a bit overboard with my gun related purchases, since Thanksgiving of last year.

I got my G40 MOS back in late December, MC2ME!, which was immediately preceded, just a couple weeks prior, by my newest EDC, an S&W 340PD, and immediately followed by, back in early January, my new Ruger Mk IV Hunter. And just last Monday, I picked up another gun that's long held a very high spot on my most wanted guns bucket list, a Colt Competition .45 acp.

But what can I say, this gun stuff is addictive, and expensive.

*she'll get over it, eventually. I hope. Prolly ought to pick her up some flowers, while on the way home from the gun range, next time I go, tomorrow? Prolly. We'll see. Shh! Don't anyone tell her. I want it to be a surprise. Thoughful, I am.*
That’s quite the shopping spree! What’s a few more bucks for some sights, right?

So the sights I have are the Truglo Tritium Pro TG231G2MW. For me they work perfect and are the right hight to pair with the Vortex Venom using the MOS system. They are a little taller than the Trijicons, which I think may be a little to short for this application. The Venom has a taller base than the RMR, which I would assume the Trijicon suppressor sights were designed to be used with.

Here are the specs for the Truglo’s:
TG231G12MW – “HIGH” For Glock 20, 21, 25, 29, 30, 31, 32, 37, 40, and 41.

Front sight height (top of slide to tallest part of sight): .401”

Front sight width: .154”

Rear sight OAH (bottom of dovetail to tallest part of sight): .495”

Rear sight gap depth: .118”

Rear sight gap width: .165”

9B1E183A-ACCF-42AD-90E4-1A79D6249A3C.jpeg

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
When we go camping/hiking in northern New Mexico and western Colorado I load my G40 with 200gr hard cast from Underwood. It rides well in a Cordura type shoulder holster.

·
Banned
157 Posts
That’s quite the shopping spree! What’s a few more bucks for some sights, right?

So the sights I have are the Truglo Tritium Pro TG231G2MW. For me they work perfect and are the right hight to pair with the Vortex Venom using the MOS system. They are a little taller than the Trijicons, which I think may be a little to short for this application. The Venom has a taller base than the RMR, which I would assume the Trijicon suppressor sights were designed to be used with.

View attachment 751384
Thanks muchly! Good info. I appreciate it.

And, yes, that was quite a shopping spree, and rather uncharacteristic, for me, who is normally a bit of a tightwad.

·
Registered
585 Posts
For the woods I use Underwood 200gFMJFP and DT 230g Hard Cast. Tried the Underwood 220HC but had some FTF issues. Just picked up some DT200gHC and Underwood 200gHC to try. I use the Underwood 200g XTP as my regular carry round for my G20 and ColtDE 1911.

·
Premium Member
5,294 Posts
Congrats on the new G40! As others have noted, you are talking about black bears, the two rounds I carry for my G20 are Underwood or Buffalo Bore hard cast. Normally I have both 180gr and 220gr Buffalo Bore on hand, and the 220gr Buffalo Bore is what I choose.

·
Banned
157 Posts

View attachment 751384
When I was growing up, my parents would often tell me to, "set my sights high", never once mentioning that there was a caveat to that advice, involving BUIS being used with an RDS.

Attachments

Reactions: boilergonzo
1 - 17 of 17 Posts