Got my first Glock today for my birthday!

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by White Rhino, Dec 10, 2005.

1. White Rhino

White Rhino

This is my first handgun of any sort and I have been debating which handgun to pick for months. I have been reading many posts here for the past few weeks and I had finally decided on a G19. Bought it new on Tuesday and picked it up today. I could hardly wait the 3 day period and showed up this morning trying to get them to give it to me a few hours early, no go.

But it was worth the wait! I headed down to my local range and quickly pounded out 200 rounds! It was so much better than I ever imagined! Solid accurate ( at least for a beginner like myself it seemed accurate) I know I will need tons of practice before I become a competent shooter (poor me!);f

Anyway I saw the love you guys showed for your Glocks and put much weight in your words. Thanks so much! I could not agree more. I can tell that me and my Glock are going to be together for a LOOOONG time.[​IMG]

2. White Rhino

White Rhino

I was reading that I should "dry fire" practice with my glock to get the feel for trigger squeeze.
    It would seem I have to cock it and then dry fire it eqach time in order to do that. Does this not damage the gun in any way? I know this might sound stupid but as I said I am brand new to this. Thanks!

3. bikethief

bikethief itchy trigger

Get an a-zoom dummy round or snap-cap. You can damage your breachface after a few thousand dry-fires. Do a search on dry firing for more details. Congrats on your new 19!

4. White Rhino

White Rhino

Thank for the info I ordered some of snap caps. My first practice session with live ammo went very well IMHO but it was all due to many of you guys posts. Thanks for all the help.

5. Cool Hand Hodge

Cool Hand Hodge Senior Member

Some people say use snap caps, somes say you dont have too. Whatever you decide, dryfire alot...it will make you a better shot. Being that this is your first handgun, i would get in the habit of checking the chamber EVERY time you pick it up. Its a good habit to get into and it could save somones life someday. I was handed an unloaded gun once, that had a round in the chamber.